- Myshall Boys National School
following is an extract from Myshall & Drumphea Parish website
In 1832 a
male National school was opened in the south-east of the village to
accommodate 70 children described as ‘a slated one roomed, one storey
building.’ (This is now a shed belonging to Mrs. Bridie Daly and her
In 1835 a
Female National School was built in the North end of the village to
accommodate about 60 children – a slated one roomed, one storey
building. (This building is now demolished and was situated close to
where the Eustace Family now live).
construction started on a new school in Myshall. Pictures of the
opening of the Marian Shrine Myshall actually show the site as a
construction site in the background. It opened in 1955, built by Mr.
Brian Kelly, originally from Co. Offaly, and it opened with three
teachers – Mr. Andrew Jordan (Principal), Mrs. Mullen (Vice Principal)
and Mrs. Matt Doyle, (Privileged Assistant).
attending increased as teacher/pupil ratio decreased and by 1974 a
fourth classroom teacher was appointed and the Old Barracks, with kind
permission of the late Mr. Bernard Nolan had to be used as a
classroom. Plans for an extension had been drawn up the previous year.
The extension was approved in 1977 and specifications were briefly:
two additional classrooms; general purpose room, tarmacadam play area,
staff room; the existing three rooms were to be made into two large
class rooms and the sewage was to be linked up with the local scheme.
Total cost £45,000 with the parish liable for one eighth. The
contractor was Mr. Foley, Graiguenamanagh. The four teachers and their
classes were accommodated in the Community Centre while the extension
was being completed. Children returned to the school building in 1979.
In 1985 a
fifth classroom teacher was appointed but that post was withdrawn in
1987 as enrolment numbers fell. It was regained in 1989 only to be
lost again in 1991 and the school had to wait until 2008 to have that
post re-gained only to be lost again in 2009 due to falling enrolment
and Government cut-backs.
Please report any
links or images which do not open to
- The information contained within
the pages of this web site is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 County Carlow