- This image is of the front page of the first Nationalist
printed in 1883
Re-print (above) of Editorial from first issue "Carlow
Carlow Nationalist and Leinster Times
Today we publish the first number of the Carlow Nationalist
and Leinster Times. The want of a local journal to meet the
requirements of the large and important district, of which
Carlow is the centre, has been generally recognised. We have
been encouraged to supply it by the kind co-operation and the
cordial offers of support which have reached us from all sides.
It shall be our aim to make the Nationalist a thoroughly
representative organ of popular opinion, worthy of the times in
which we live and of the grand old Faith that has survived the
persecution of centuries.
With regard to the general conduct of this journal by fully and
impartially reporting every event of local interest, we trust to
secure for the Nationalist a circulation second to no
paper in the province. We shall freely open our columns to
communications containing practical suggestions for the
development of local industries; for the better administration
of local boards, and for all such matters as affect the welfare
and advancement of the country.
One word in conclusion. It is to bespeak the indulgence of our
readers for any of those shortcomings, which are more or less
inseparable from a first issue.
Carlow Nationalist Vintage Festival Souvenir 1969
not known exactly when the printing press was established in this town,
but from a copy of "Kinnier's Carlow Journal or Leinster Chronicle"
for Saturday, 27th March, 1784 which is numbered Vol. xiv, No. 13
(National Library) it can be reckoned, allowing for one number per week,
that it was first published in 1770. It was published by William Kinnier
from an office in Dublin St., and continued until his death in 1786.
Around 1782 we find reference to the "Carlow Evening Post" of
which there is no known copy in existence.
next paper, of which a copy is known to exist (National Library), is the
"Carlow Mercury or Leinster Advertiser". This copy, being Vol. 1,
No. 7, from -Saturday, October 25 to Wednesday, October 29 (bi-weekly)
is not dated, but frequent reference is made to the year 1788 in that
issue. Reference has also been found to the "Carlow Mercury"
printed by Eustace in 1789.
the close of the 18th century the "Carlow Morning Post" was
founded and has its first office in Castle Street. In 1818 it moved to
Dublin St. ("within two doors of the new meat market"), i.e. 55 Dublin
Street, at present occupied by Messrs Robinson, Jewellers.
paper was published twice weekly on Tuesday and Thursday and its news
items consisted mainly of extracts from London daily papers. It ceased
publication about 1835. The proprietor was a Mr. Price.
"Carlow Sentinel" commenced publication about 1831 and continued
until 1919. Its first proprietor was a Mr. Henry Malcomson, who
published the paper at an office in Tullow St. It was then removed to
Dublin St., and then to Court Place under the ownership of Mr. T. H.
Carroll and he was succeeded by Mr. George Langran, who controlled the
paper until it ceased publication. It was the conservative organ of the
papers of this period, to which references are to be found, or copies
are known to exist include: "The Carlow Packet" - William Moore,
1790s; "The Carlow Standard" 1832, at Burrin Street; "The
Leinster Reformer" - October 12th, 1839 to July 17th, 1841 at 130
Tullow Street; "The Leinster Independent" 1839 (Vol. iv., no No.)
printed at 54 Dublin Street.
the "Carlow Post" was established and carried on until 1875 when
its proprietor Mr. Richard Price died.
the "Carlow Post" ceased publication, the "Carlow Independent"
came on the market. It was published by Mr. P. Kelly; who had his
office in Centaur Street, and the paper had a very brief existence.
Saturday, September 22, 1883 the first isssue of "The Carlow
Nationalist and Leinster Times" was published from an office in
Brown Street (now demolished) beside the Workman's Club. From there it
moved to 58 Dublin Street (Hayes' Stationery Shop), and from there to
its present premises.
At the time of the Parnellite 'split' (1890s) "The Nationalist"
espoused the anti-Parnellite cause and the "Carlow Vindicator"
was founded to champion Parnell’s party. The "Vindicator" was,
published for about five years and had its office at Dublin Street, in
the premises at the corner of Brown Street (Wynnes leather goods shop).
P. J. Conlan,
Editor "Carlow Nationalist”
Patrick J. Conlan, founder and first editor of the "Carlow
Nationalist and Leinster Times" was son of Mr. Stephen Conlan,
Walshestown, Newbridge, Co. Kildare and was educated by the Carmelite
Fathers at Kildare. He made journalism his career and having started in
Dublin was attached to the staff of the "Leinster Leader" and
the "Sligo Champion" before coming to Carlow and with the support
and co-operation of the Nationalists of the area published the first
copy of the "Carlow Nationalist" in 1883, in opposition to the
conservative "Carlow Sentinal".
the Nationalist cause by its outspoken editorials and by its reports of
local speeches and incidents. It was one such report of a meeting at
Luggacurran and the resolution passed that led, in 1889, to the arrest
of Mr. Conlan under the Coercion Act. He was brought up at a Special
Court at Carlow and ordered by the presiding Magistrates to give bail
for his "good behaviour". This Mr. Conlan refused to do; and as a
consequence he accepted the alternative of two months' imprisonment in
Kilkenny Jail. His belief being that to give his bond would be an
admission of guilt in the past and an undertaking to suppress news in
the future if it happened to be embarrassing.
the time of his early death in 1898, at the age of 46, he continued his
outspoken editorials and reporting and won the admiration of friend and
foe alike for the sincerity of his views.
union structure in printing offices is referred to as a "Chapel." Each
house has its own 'chapel' which is affiliated to a branch. The term
'chapel' is said to be derived from the fact that the first printing
office in England was set up by Caxton in a side-chapel of Westminster
Abbey. The chief officer of the union in each office is referred to as
the "Father of Chapel." The "Father of Chapel" was the forerunner of the
present day Shop Steward.
earlier times when journeymen printers travelled the country in search
of work, each chapel had a fund from which these men could receive a
small donation if no work was available for them in the office or town.
This donation supplemented an allowance to which each was entitled from
the union, in the event of no work being available, provided they could
show they had worked for 6 weeks during the previous year.
the First World War printers were paid at the rate of a farthing per
line of 10 pt. upwards and a half-penny per line for 6 pt. These figures
were doubled for the setting of a foreign language and in this context
Irish was classed as a foreign language. Linotype operators were paid at
the rate of seven pence per 100 lines.
printing in Carlow
Job-printing houses in Carlow including: G. Cooke, Tullow Street (1791);
Charles Lahee, Dublin Street (1834); William Price (1836). A directory
of 1842 lists the following job printing houses: Thomas H. Carroll, 28
Dublin Street; Francis Xavier Kavanagh, 137 Tullow Street; John Lahee,
41 Dublin Street, and Richard Price, Brown Street.
OUR THANKS— We wish to thank the Management of "The
Nationalist and Leinster Times" for facilities extended to us in
mounting this Print Exhibition and also the members of the staff
for their assistance. J.J.W. & B.E.
Carlow Nationalist Vintage Festival Souvenir 1969
- The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 -Ireland Genealogy Projects,
By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved