25th November 1905.
The marriage of Captain and Brevet Major
R. Brown-Clayton, 5th Royal Irish Lancers, eldest son of
William Browne-Clayton, of Browne's Hill, Carlow, with
Miss Magda Wienholt, youngest daughter of the late
Edward Weinholt, of Jondaryan, Queensland, was
celebrated at St Mary's Abbots, Kensington, on the 19th
of November, the officiating clergy being the Rev.
A.A.Markham (cousin of the bridegroom ), and the clergy
of St Mary's Abbots.
The bride was given away by her cousin,
Mr Rowland Malony, and wore a gown of ivory satin,
draped with duchesse lace, and a brocade train softened
with lace and chiffon.
Her tuille veil fell over a tiara of
orange blossoms, She carried a bouquet of white exoties,
myrtle, white heather, and lily of the valley.
Miss Brenda Wienholt, sister of the
bride, acted as bridesmaid, and wore a dress of
heliotrope crepe de chine, with hat of the same shade.
Her bouquet was of mauve orchids, harmonising with her
toilet, which, with an enamel and diamond brooch in the
form of the regimental badge, was the gift of the
Capt. Willcox, a brother officer of the
bridegroom, was best man. The interesting ceremony took
place at 2.30pm.
The bride was met at the door by the
choir and proceeded up the aisle singing the hymn "O
Perfect Love, all human thought transcending".
While the register was being signed the
choir sang the hymn, "Fight the good fight with all thy
might". The service was fully choral.
The church was beautifully decorated with
palms and white flowers.
The reception was held afterwards at the
Royal Palace Hotel, and subsequently the bride and
bridegroom left for Ireland.
Home-Coming of Major Browne-Clayton and Bride.
On Monday last Major Browne-Clayton, 5th
Lancers, brought home his bride.
This was made an occasion of great
rejoicings amongst the tenants and employees of Browne's
Hill, many of the townspeople joining in.
The Staplestown Road was splendidly
decorated with flags and arches, bearing words of
On arriving at the front gate, which was
beautifully and artistically decorated under the
supervision of Mr Bell ( steward ), the carriage was met
by a large crowd of enthusiastic friends, and was drawn
up the hill by many willing hands, while a fire of
twenty-one guns from a small piece of ordnance, in
charge of ex-Sergt Clifden, Royal Artillery, announced
the approach of the procession.
In the afternoon the employees and
tenants were entertained at dinner, and in the evening a
numerous gathering from the neighbourhood assembled
round a bonfire, and the proceedings terminated by a
band from Carlow playing varied selections.
From: Michael Purcell <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Wienholt Wedding 1905.
Father of Robert Browne-Clayton's
Arnold Wienholt (1826-1895) and Edward
Wienholt (1833-1904), pastoralists and politicians, were
sons of John Birkett Wienholt (1775-1852), merchant, and
his second wife Sarah, n’e Hill. Arnold was born on 22
January 1826 and Edward on 28 March 1833 at Laugharne,
Carmarthenshire, Wales, the setting for Dylan Thomas's
poem “Under Milk Wood”. Two other brothers, Daniel
(1822-1865) and Arthur (1835-1892), were also prominent
Queensland pioneers. The family, originally Winholdt,
originated at Wiemsdorf, Oldenburg, Germany, in the
Educated privately, Arnold
arrived at Sydney about 1847. He purchased Maryvale in
1849 and Gladfield in 1852, both on the Darling Downs,
Queensland; they became two of the finest Clydesdale
studs in Australia. In 1860 he failed to win Warwick in
the Legislative Assembly, but held the seat in 1863-67;
he ran for Maranoa in 1871 but lost. His assembly career
was unspectacular and characteristically silent.
Politics for him was an onerous obligation to his fellow
'Pure Merinos', neither a pleasure nor a pursuit of
intrinsic satisfaction; his importance lies in his
practical abilities as a stock-breeder and pastoralist
and his partnership in the family pastoral empire. At
the end of the 1870s he retired to Locarno, Switzerland,
where he died unmarried in the Grand Hotel on 16 January
His more complex and influential brother
Edward, an Anglican, arrived in Queensland in 1853. With
William Kent he acquired Fassifern, Jondaryan and
Goomburra stations in the 1870s in the south-east and
several large runs in the interior. His 'dash and
self-reliance’ tempered by a native shrewdness which
caused him seldom to make a mistake' was combined with
an advantageous marriage on 14 December 1874 to Ellen
(1856-1898), daughter of Daniel Williams, railway
contractor and entrepreneur. They had three sons and
three daughters, including Arnold (1877-1940).
Wienholt and his partners rapidly built
up one of Australia's largest and initially most
profitable pastoral empires. In 1888 they held 289,966
acres (117,346 ha) of freehold land in the Moreton and
Darling Downs districts; next year the Wienholt Pastoral
Estates Co. was formed. Believing that 'it was necessary
for those who had a stake in the country to take part in
its Government [to] protect themselves from great and
unnecessary liabilities', Wienholt was M.L.A. for
Western Downs in 1870-73 and Darling Downs in 1873-75. A
strong adherent of Sir Arthur Palmer <http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/palmer-sir-arthur-hunter-794>,
he favoured drastic retrenchment, complete free trade in
imports and lands, restricted education for the masses
and the continuation of the threatened pastoral
hegemony. In 1875 the Privy Council in “Regina” v.
“Edward Wienholt“ reversed a Supreme Court decision and
found for him in a ruling that gave freehold titles to
all selectors, genuine or otherwise, whose rents had
previously been collected by the Crown, this was a
valuable victory. In May 1890 Brisbane waterside workers
refused to load non-union-shorn wool from Jondaryan.
This incident, an important event in the struggle
between the new mass unions and the pastoralists,
hastened the end of the old traditional Queensland
Wienholt retired to Rocklands,
Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, England, in 1880. He died in
Melbourne on 14 January 1904 on one of his frequent
trips to Australia. He was regarded as 'a fine specimen
of colonial Toryism', who never concealed his
fundamental views. His social and political positions
were eventually eroded, but his convictions, courteous
deportment and correct if frigid public manners,
together with his territorial acquisitions, place him
above his more pedestrian fellows. A Petty Sessions
district at Murgon and a parish near Dalby are named
after him. His estate was valued for probate at £9144 in
New South Wales and at £57,000 in Queensland.
The above is a true and
accurate transcript of the original document.