- Pollerton Castle
- (rear of premises)
- Pollerton Castle (front)
Pollerton Castle, Carlow. Built in 1839 is currently the home of
Healy & Son. Richard Healy senior (1911 – 1993) founded the funeral business in
March 1944. He was a local entrepreneur and a relatively modest well known
marathon athlete, known throughout the county of Carlow and the business
flourished under him. In 1960 he was joined by his only son Pat.
The business was run from Richards home in College Street,
Carlow in the 1960's. As the business increased it was evident that extra
space and facilities were needed and he bought Pollerton Castle, Carlow to
fill this need.
- Map of Pollerton 1790
- Source: http://www.carlowlibraries.ie/archive.html
In 1872 it was the residence of Mr. Charles Casey. who is
listed as a member of the International Institute for Preserving and
Perfecting Weights and Measures c.1889.
This is a copy of an entry found in a book A Miracle in
Stone first printed in 1877on page 86 . It indicates that Mr Casey was a
civil engineer, author and a pyramid expert. (Source: Turtle Bunbury)
In the Landowners register of 1870 for County Carlow
Charles Casey is listed as having 5 acres of land in Carlow.
Mr Casey also gets a mention in the British Medical
Journal June 28. 1884 under Communications Letters received. from.
In Slater's Directory of 1894 for Carlow there was a Mrs.
Hester Casey listed as living in Pollerton castle.
Images from the Pollerton Castle website.