From A Topographical Dictionary of
Ireland (1837) by Samuel Lewis
Rathmore, a parish, in the barony of Rathvilly in the county of
Carlow, and the province of Leinster, 7 miles (S. W.) from
Baltinglass, on the road from Tullow to Castle-Dermot; containing
225 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the confines of the
county of Kildare, by which it is bounded on the north-west, and on
the river Slaney, which forms its south-eastern boundary. As
applotted under the tithe act, it comprises 2374 statute acres, the
greater part of which is in meadow and pasture, and the remainder in
tillage; there is a very small portion of woodland and bog. Rathmore
is a station of the constabulary police. It is a rectory, in the
diocese of Leighlin, forming part of the union of Rathvilly: the
tithes amount to 160, and there is a glebe of 13 acres. In the R. C.
divisions also it is part of the union or district of Rathvilly.
About 120 children are educated in a school endowed by the late Mr.
Disraeli, who bequeathed 3000 for its establishment and support: the
school-house is a handsome building, consisting of a centre and two
wings the former being appropriated as a residence for the master
and mistress, who receive 30 per ann. each, and have the use of five
acres of ground rent-free.