INDEX
 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Rathoe

(Parish of Ballon and Rathoe)
Co Carlow

St. Patrick’s Church, Rathoe
c.1950

July 1990
Source: http://ballonvillage.com/wp/wp-content/gallery/rathoe-church/aerial-view.jpg
Date of Church: 1887
Architect: William Hague
Builder: Carbery, Athy
Style: Gothic Stone

Rathoe (Rath – Tuaith), North Rath or Forth

Rathoe is situated between Tullow and Ballon, a small friendly village made famous by Bard van Vousden who wrote the song “The Roads Around Rathoe”. St. Patrick's Church is an excellent example of 19th century craftsmanship with beautiful stained glass windows.

The church site was purchased by Bishop Daniel Delany of Tullow in the early 1800’s, and the present church was built at the rear of an earlier humble structure that had existed for 100 years.

Preparatory work was done by Rev. W. Kinsella PP and his successor, Rev. John Kehoe P.R Fr. Kinsella had left £500 in his will towards the project and the total cost was over £3,000.

A bottle containing a Latin inscription was embedded in the new Church, and it read: “On 17,h May 1885 Leo XIII being Pope over the whole church. Bishop James Walsh laid the foundation stone of the church at Rathoe. Fr. Patrick F. Nolan PR of Ballon & Rathoe”. By 1889, Fr. Nolan was fundraising to pay for furnishings. In September of that year a huge bazaar was held in Rathoe.

An ancient Baptismal font, octagonal in shape and pierced in the centre, was transferred from the ruins of Templepeter church to St. Patrick’s for the centenary in 1990. A beautiful stained glass window by Early’s Studio, Dublin, overlooks the High Altar. This was erected in the 1930’s. The panels depict the Annunciation, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection.

The nearby area of Kellistown (Gill Osnadh, church of St. Osnadh) was an important site in the early Irish Church.

Source: The Churches of Kildare & Leighlin 2000A.D.


St. Patrick's Church in Rathoe
The Rev Patrick Francis Nolan
St. Patrick's Church in Rathoe
St. Patrick's Church in Rathoe
     
The pews and gallery that were also hand built and carved by the Cummins's
The Confessional
Vaulted inlaid wood ceiling which was built by the Cummins's
The church hall, now used for various functions, but was originally the school and was built in 1837. The Aughney brothers told me stories of still going to school there in the 1940s - 50s.

Some images on this page are by Linda Rogers c2006

Source: Sue Clement


 Rathoe School, 1929

© All images on this page are by Linda Rogers and must not be copied without permission

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP OF PAGE