An unusual picture taken circa 1889 of the Browne-Clayton
family of Browne's Hill, Carlow, pictured on the steps of the
stable on the grounds of Browne's Hill House circa 1889.
Starting at the bottom of the steps they are:- Mary Caroline
1867-1955 Annette 1868-1948 Robert 1870-1939 (the heir)
Margaret 1871-1938 Florence 1872-?? William 1873-1897 Lionel
1874-1946 Kathleen 1875-1961 Madeleine 1876-1953 Lucy
1876-1953 Julia 1881-1948 Caroline Zoe 1882-1957
Source: Michael Purcell 2013
Robert Browne of Browneshill
Browne from Wickham in Buckinghamshire, came to Ireland in 1650 and
settled at Browneshill, townland of Kernanstown (property of Wall
family prior to 1641 rebellion).
December, 1674 Charles II granted a new Charter to Carlow. Robert
Browne was appointed the first modern Sovereign of the Borough. He had
been the last Portreeve under the old Charter of James Ist. He died in
(Son) married Mary Jennings of Kilkee Castle, Co. Kildare.
Browne their (Son) married Elizabeth Clayton Kildare. He died in 1772.
Browne II (1729 – 1816) succeeded his father William. He married
Eleanor Morris, Dublin.
Browne (1763 - 1840) (Son) was M.P. for Portarlington - only family
member to hold a seat in Parliament. It was following his wife’s death
Lady Charlotte Bourke in 1806 that Charlotte St. was named.
Clayton Browne (Son) (1799 - 1888) contested Carlow Borough Election
in 1852 was defeated.
Browne Clayton (Son) (1835-1907) Assumed the additional name Clayton
by Royal Licence in 1889 (had been adopted previously). On 10th
January 1867, he married Caroline Barton, fifth daughter of John
Watson Barton, DL, JP, of Stapleton Park near Pontefract. Yorkshire.
Browne Clayton (1870 - 1939) Brigadier General Married Mary Magdalene
Patrick Browne Clayton (Son) (Colonel) (1906 – 1971) sold the estate
to G. W. Harold in 1951 and went to live in Connemara.
October 1935 he was married at St Margaret’s, Westminster, to Janet
Maitland Bruce Jardine.
house on the corner of Browne Street and Charlotte Street (now a car
park) was the Town House of the Brownes. The buildings halfway up
Charlotte Street were their stables and coach houses.
Source: Carloviana. No. 50. December 2001