- The Royal Hotel in
Dublin Street c1950's.
- This photo was taken by Donal Godfrey
Staff of the Royal Hotel in the restaurant in 1945.
This photo donated by Carloman
This hotel which was established around
1765 has gone through many name changes during its long history
namely The King's Arms Hotel, The Royal Arms Hotel. It was also
know as The Queens Arms Hotel, and Cullen's Hotel, and before
it was raised to the ground in 2002 it was known as The Royal
Hotel. This hotel has been in existence for almost 237 years,
and whereas at one time the hotel comprised only number 12
Dublin Street, it eventually extended to numbers 10 - 13 Dublin
Street. James Cullen was the proprietor of this hotel in the
mid. nineteenth century.
Under his ownership the hotel thrived
and gained a name throughout the country as being one of the
finest hotels in Carlow. It was the scene of many gay social
functions throughout the nineteenth century. Apart from the
hotel business James Cullen had a marble yard at the rear of
the hotel where stonecutters work of every description was
carried out. Cullen also had a range of public baths erected on
the premises consisting of reclining and shower baths, the
baths were separate from the hotel and were open to the
townspeople and the hotel guests.
In the 1950's the hotel was owned by
the Duggan family, also of Dublin Street, and they added a
ballroom to the rear of the hotel plus a new side entrance was
created which gave access for guests and visitors to and from
the car park which could accommodate up to 55 parking spaces.
The hotel had a 2 Star rating and was AA recommended. In
1998 it comprised 34 en-suite bedrooms, 3 Conference /
Functions rooms, several Meeting rooms, Lounge Bar, and a large
In 1967 it would have cost you £2.10s a day for Bead &
In 1998 the hotel was owned by John McDermott for the
past ten years. The hotel was demolished in 2002. A sad end to an era in
Royal Arms And Livery Stables Dublin Street, Carlow
CULLEN returns her most grateful thanks to her numerous
friends and the public for the support given so liberally to
her hotel since its erection, a period of nearly Forty
Years: and takes this opportunity of soliciting a
continuance of their patronage.
above-named hotel being situated in the centre of the town
and contiguous to the Church, Cathedral, Courthouse, Banks,
&c., &c., will be found most convenient for Traders, Agents,
Merchants and all other travellers.
strictest attention shall be paid to the comfort of those
who may favour her establishment, which has recently
undergone every necessary decoration in painting and
connection with the Royal Arms Hotel is an extensive and
commodiously arranged Bathhouse at which baths can be had at
the shortest notice and on the most reasonable terms.
Parties stopping at the old established Royal Arms Hotel
will be sure to meet with those attentions which are so
essential to their comforts. The charges will be found to be
N.B.—A well appointed car waits the arrival of different
trains, to convey persons to the Hotel.
March, 1854. “Carlow Post”
- The copying of these
images and or text is strictly forbidden without the express
permission of the owner of these images and material
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP
TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All
include: Michael Purcell, Carloman, J. Brennan, J. Coop & W.