INDEX

 
Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Extracts from Slater's Directory of Ireland 1894
 
Co Carlow

Transcribed by Terry Curran c2008


Clonmore & Clonegal Co. Carlow


Clonmore

CLONMORE, a parish and village in co. Carlow, barony of Rathvilly, union of Shillelagh, Protestant diocese of Leighlin, Catholic diocese of Kildare, n\ miles south-west from Hacketstown, 5 north from Shillelagh terminal station on a branch line of the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford railway, containing 25 townlands. There are parochial and National schools. The area comprises 6,029 acres; the population in 1891 was 976.

POST OFFICE.—Michael Dolan, postmaster. Letters through Hacketstown S.O. co. Carlow, arrive at 8.55 a.m. & are dispatched at 4.45 p.m. on week days & n a.m. on Sundays. Hacketstown is also the nearest money order & telegraph office

 

CHURCH OF IRELAND—Key. Thomson Bryan B A
 
CATHOLIC—Rev. William Byrne P.P Rev. Patrick Keenan CC  Bryan Rev. Thomson B.A
 
Commercial
Farrell John, provision dealer
Smith Mary, publican
Tompkins Peter, provision dealer
Whelan William, publican
 
Farmers.
Carthy James, Ballinakill
Jones Richard, Croneskagh
Kelly John, Coolalaw
Terris Edmund, Ballinakill

Clonegal

CLONEGAL (or MOYACOMB) is a village and parish, containing 34 Townlands, partly in the barony of Shillelagh, co. Wicklow, partly in that of Scarawalsh, co. Wexford, but chiefly in that of Upper St. Mullins, Co Carlow, head of a dispensary district in union of Shillelagh, Protestant diocese of Ferns, Catholic diocese of Kildare, 14^ miles south-east-by-east from Carlow, 7 southwest from Shillelagh terminal station on a branch line of the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford railway ; it is on the road from Tullow to Newtown-Barry, and on the river Derry, which separates it into two parts. Slate quarries are situated at Gibbet hill, near Johnstown. The Protestant church is a good modern building, erected in 1819.

There is a Catholic church, a place of worship for Methodists, and a schoolhouse in connection with the National Board. Here is also a castellated mansion, built by the Esmonde family in 1625 ; and at Abbeydown are the remains of an ancient religious house, of which there is no account. The area of the parish comprises 17,436 acres; the population in 1891 was 1,986: the area of the village is 12 acres; the population in 1891 was 206.

POST & MONEY ORDERS OFFICE & SAVINGS BANK. — Thomas Byrne, postmaster Letters through Ferns, arrive at 7.15 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Newtown-Barry

 

Dispensary Medical Officer & Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, George P. Rogers
CHURCH OF IRELAND — Rev. James Frederick Metge
Ffrench T.C.D
Constabulary Station, Patrick Cullan, constable CATHOLIC—Rev. John Byrne P.P.; Rev.Paul Dunny
  & Rev. Joseph Phelan, curates
Private Residents.  
Berry J. S WESLEYAN METHODIST,
Braddell Col. Thomas, Coolmeelagh Parochial School, Robert Rathwell & Mrs. Rathwell, teachers
Byrne Rev. John PP  
Croker Capt. Beanfield Commercial.
Dowse Benjamin, Springfield Donohoe Denis, draper & grocer
Dunny Rev. Paul CC Doyle John, spirit dealer, Park bridge
Ffreneh Rev. James M Dunne Patrick, provision dealer
Gillihan Rev. Daniel Goddison Samuel Park, spirit dealer
Hope Abraham JP. Irelands Ryan Denis, grocer
Mather Rev. Daniel PP  
Phelan Rev. Joseph CC  
Robertson Herbert JP. Huntington castle  

Transcribed by Terry Curran c2008


Next Page - Tullowmagimma, Urgian Or Rutland, Wells & Tinnahinch

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP