INDEX

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Sleaty (Sletty or Slettygraigue)

&

Sleaty Street

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Images of Slatey Street

Sleaty Street 2009
Sleaty Street 2009

Sleaty Road image taken in 1968 by William Muldowney

St. Patricks Boys club on Sleaty Street, Graiguecullen.
Images of Slatey Church

Source: CroppyBoy1798
Image c2008
Sleaty House and Church, Co. Laois
Source: OSi Mapviewer
Source: CroppyBoy1798
Image c2008
Slatey as described in the Topographical Dictionary
 of Ireland, by Samuel Lewis in 1837

Slatey, Sleaty, or Sletty, a parish, in the barony of Slievemargue, Queens county, and province of Leinster, 1¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Carlow; containing 189 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Barrow, comprises 656 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £728 per annum.

Knockbeg is the residence of W. Carruthers, Esq.; and here is also that of Gerald Byrne, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, united to that of Shruel, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £60, and the gross value of the benefice is £106. 3s. 1d.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Killeshin. Here is a hedge school of 10 boys and 4 girls. St. Fiech is said to have founded a church and bishoprick here, in the fifth century, the latter of which was afterwards transferred to Leighlin. In the churchyard are two stone crosses of remote antiquity; and there are ruins of a small church called Slieb-teach, or "The House near the Mountains," which is said to have been originally a place of great importance.

Ruins of Sletty Church, Queens County from The Dublin Penny Journal 1832
Source: Google Books
  • Sletty to Killeshin

    About 1823 Dr. Doyle detached Sletty from Arles parish and added it to Killeshin. The Chapel in Carlow-Graig had to be enlarged to accommodate the new population. The larger portion of the Chapel in Chapel Street was built probably at this time. It was designed by Cohden who also designed the Church of Ireland Parish Church, Killeshin. He also designed the spire of St. Mary’s Church, Carlow Cathedral and as we have seen, Holy Cross Church, Killeshin.


    St. Fiacc, Sletty

    St. Fiacc and all the saints of Sletty were thus added to Killeshin, but they are not lost to their former territory, Arles parish. In May 1847, the house and farm of 127 acres at Knockbeg were bought by Carlow College and St. Mary’s was opened there as a preparatory school to Carlow College. In I 892 Carlow lay college was transferred to Knockbeg. In 1898 Bishop Foley made it the junior diocesan seminary. In 1933 the new church of St. Clare, Graiguecullen was opened.

    Sleaty Ancient Graveyard


    Sleaty Bridge

    Killanure

    Less than a mile west of Sletty in the townland of Leagh there is an old burial-ground named Killanure, the Church of the Yew, from the practice of planting yew-trees near churches. It is sometimes called Rath Kilanure. Within a few fields distance there is a remarkable Rath. There are no traces of a church here and no tradition regarding one.

  • Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Griffith's Valuation of Ireland - Parish of Sleaty

    The information contained within the pages of this web site is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
    © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

    TOP