Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)
Sleaty Ancient Graveyard
Sleaty Ancient Graveyard
1. Farrell - Erected by William Farrell of Shrule in memory of his son Joseph Farrell who departed this life 16th May 1828 aged 19 years.
2. Kearns - Brigid Reams, Slatey Rd. died 10th Dec. 1943 aged 70. Husband John died 17th March 1951 aged 84. Also son Michael died 22nd June 1933 age 27. Patrick died 13th Oct. 1978 age 61.
3. Dunny - Fox … Great grand daughter of Thomas Dunny died 29th Dec. 1985 age 7. Margaret Dunny daughter of Patrick Dunny died 8th June 1973 age 73. Also sister Kathleen died 27 March 1976 age 70. Sister Elizabeth died 1993 age 89.
4. Nolan - Mary Nolan, Slatey died 23rd March 1928. Husband Michael died 30th June 1939. Sister-in-Law Annie died 27th June 1953. Daughter Margaret, died 16th Nov. 1958. Also Julie Sheehan died August 1975. Her son Michael died 20th August 1983.
5. Whelan - Patrick Whelan Shrule died 27th December '43 aged 71 and his wife Mary died 27th May '65 aged 87. Their son James died 7th November '89 aged 79 years.
6. Dowling - Erected in loving memory of Patrick 'Paki' Dowling, Green Lane, Carlow and late of Knockbeg College born 9th December 1881. died 6th December 1947. R.I.P. Brother of Margaret Dowling-Bakter, Bolton, Lanes. Uncle of William Bakter Omaha, Nebraska U.S.A.
7. Byrne - Martin Byrne Lr. Rossmore died 21st June 1964 aged 62. His wife 10th Jan. 1993. Aged 82.
8. Byrne - Ellen Byrne, St. Fiaac Graiguecullen died 7th Feb. 1946. Also parents Michael & Mary Nolan. Husband Patrick Byrne died 21st Feb. 1949. Kathleen Nolan died 3rd. July 1905. Annie Byrne died 25th May 1977. Michael Byrne died 19th Sept. 1994 aged 83.
On the internal gable wall is the following inscription on a stone plaque:
McGovern - Here are interred the bodies of Hugh McGovern and his wife Mary Dunny November 1929 and February 1944. Also their daughter Mary Teresa Smith died February 21st 1983. "In the sight of the unwise, they seem to die, but they are in peace."
On the grave in front of this plaque is the following;
In loving memory of Annie K. (Ethna) McGovern who died 10th June 1988 aged 82 years. Rest in peace.
On the external back wall at the back of the Church, there is a white square marble plaque inserted in the wall which reads:
10. Hoey - Sacred to the memory of Paul Hoey died 1st May 1866 aged 84 years. Elizabeth Hoey died 11th June 1878 aged 86 years. Matthew Hoey died 22nd June 1891 aged 66 years. William Hoey died 5th September 1894 aged 17 years. The stone on the grave under this plaque has the following inscription: In loving memory of Rosanna Hoey who died in July 1886 aged 50. Also her husband Denis Hoey who died 19th September 1905 aged 80.
Source: 'Gravestone Inscriptions' Killeshin, Sleaty, Graiguecullen, Mayo, Arles, Doonane, Castletown, Rathaspick, Shrule, Rathnure etc with historical notes. 1997. by Paul Redmond N.T. Pages 70 & 71
New Graveyard at Sleaty.
All 12 graves to the right of the main entrance. The first person to be buried here was Maurice Nolan in 1989. Inscriptions taken on Saturday 15th March 1997 are as follows (L. to R.).
1. Nolan - In loving memory of my dear husband Maurice (Knoxie) Nolan, Kyleballyhue, Carlow who died 9th October 1989 aged 36 years. Rest in peace. Erected by his loving wife and family. Stone on grave with flowers inscribed: "In memory of Maurice, Love from Margaret and children." (Photograph on headstone)
2. Hutchinson - Treasured memories of a loving husband and father David (Davy) Hutchinson, Dunloe, Crossneen who died 30th May 1994 aged 69 years. Rest in peace. "Till we meet again." Erected by his loving wife and family.
"Just a prayer from the family who loved you, Just a memory fond and true, In our hearts you will live forever, because we thought the world of you." Commemorative stones on grave read as follows: Always in our thoughts Dad, Sean and Catherine. Thanks for everything Dad, love Kieran.
Granddad - Aaron, Clara, Kevin, David, Shane, Mark, Gina and Ciera. You are never more than a thought away, from Patsy and Mary. Remembering you always Dad, Kevin and Maria.
3. Hart - Cherished memories of Eddie, son of Kitty and Billy born 12th November 1947 recalled home 1st August 1991. Crest of Cumann Luthcleas Gael, also flags of Graiguecullen and Laois.
Sadly missed by June, Edwin, Shane and Christine.
4. Blank No mark on the next grave which seems to be made recently.
5. Hutchings - To Richard Hutchings who died 12th May 1996.
6. Latfan - Matthew Paul Laffan born an angel April 4th 1996.
7. O’Brien - In loving memory of a loving husband and father Charles O Brien, 88 Pearse Road, Graiguecullen who died 28th November 1995 aged 76. Rest in peace. Erected by his loving wife and family.
Commemorative stone plaques on grave which read as follows: To Dad always remembered Seamus. To Granddad loved always Donna and Wayne.
In loving memory of my dear husband love Maria. To Daddy love always Isabelle and Eddie.
To Dad love always Mary Clare and Ken.
8. Cuddihy - In loving memory of Patrick Cuddihy, 73 Pearse Road, died 7th December 1991 aged 65 years. R.I .P. "Fold him dear Jesus in thine arms." Erected by his wife and family. White heart-shaped marble stone on the grave: To Dad, love from Gerard Clare Farrell and Gearoid.
9. Stenson - In loving memory of Tom Stenson, 54 Derrig Avenue, Graiguecullen, born on the 10th June 1913 died on the 20th June 1994. Rest in peace. Erected by his loving wife and family.
10. Lawlor - In loving memory of a dear husband and father Christopher (Christy) Lawlor, 152 Duggan Avenue died 29th December 1992 aged 77. R.I.P. "To live in the hearts of those we love is not to die." Erected by his loving wife and family.
Some commemorative stones on the grave:
His loving wife Kathleen and Notdett. Andrew and the boys.
11. O’Shea - John O’Shea died 21st December 1994 Rest in peace. To John from all your loving cousins.
12. Byrne - In loving memory of a devoted husband and father John Joe Byrne, 36 Oakley Park, Graiguecullen who died 10th October 1994 aged 45 years. Rest in peace.
"Those who die in grace go no further from us than God and God is very near." Erected by his loving wife Kathleen and family. Heart-shaped stone on grave: In loving memory of John Byrne. Rest in peace. Erected by the Carlow Branch of The Mater Hospital Foundation 1994 John Byrne died 10th October 1994.
13. McMahon - (Sleaty Road, Graiguecullen, Carlow) Feb. 6, 2012, at his home, Joseph (Joe); deeply mourned by his loving brother-in-law Billy, nieces Patricia, Karen and Nicola, grandnieces, grand- nephews, cousin May and her husband Frank, family, neighbours and friends. R.I.P. Reposing at Carpenter Bros Funeral Home, Graiguecullen, Carlow from 4.30 o'c. today (Wednesday). Removal from there this (Wednesday) evening at 7.15 o'c. to St Clare's Church, Graiguecullen arriving 7.30 o'c. Requiem Mass tomorrow (Thursday) at 11 o'c., followed by Funeral to Sleaty New Cemetery, Carlow.
Source: 'Gravestone Inscriptions' Killeshin, Sleaty, Graiguecullen, Mayo, Arles, Doonane, Castletown, Rathaspick, Shrule, Rathnure etc with historical notes. 1997. by Paul Redmond N.T. Pages 68 & 69
The information on this web site is for personal use only, and under no circumstances is it to be used/copied for commercial purposes by Professional Researchers.