The school was probably conducted in the
sacristy of St. Andrew's parish church during its first year of
The history of the first thirty years of the
above school appeared in the 1980 edition of Carloviana. Since then,
this little poster has come to light in the central archives of the
De La Salle Brothers, Rome. The Bishops concerned were Dr Lynch and
his coadjutor, Dr Comerford, historian of the Diocese. The school
was probably conducted in the sacristy of St. Andrew's parish church
during its first year of existence. The school would not be
'conducted' by a Brother until 1897 but, until then, was under the
supervision of Brother James Sharkett, principal of the National
School, a highly gifted man who was then only 24 years of age. The
'highly qualified Assistant Master' was Professor M'Sweeny,
'professor' being a title sometimes accorded secondary school
masters then. Nothing has come to light about his career previous to
1896; neither is anything known of him subsequent to his retiring
from the school in 1897 when Brother James took his place. Terence
Flood, a former seminarian, was then employed to teach the classics.
The evening classes alluded to never materialised as far as is
Source: Carloviana 2001 No. 50.
The information contained in these
pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,