ON the Dublin road north of Leighlinbridge and over one mile distant
from the village, there is a bridge crossing the stream, which flows
between the townslands of Orchard and Powerstown at this point, it is
known as Orchard bridge.
Great improvements have been made on the road here and the marks of the
earth works remain which show us that there was a very steep hill down
to the bridge.
Back in the 1760's there was no bridge here; the road just ran through a
broad, shallow hard bottomed stream. Coach or cart splashed through, and
if going south towards Kilkenny the weary horses had to face a very
steep climb up from the river and then on through Leighlin.
The wayfarer could cross the river and keep a dry foot by an arrangement
of granite stones which were spaced out across the river bed. The stones
were circular about 22" in diameter, chiselled flat on top and stood
about eight or nine inches above the normal water level. The stones were
probably put there by the people who owned Orchard Mills. They were
known as "The Stepping Stones of Orchard".
There was a road junction here and one could avoid the hill, bear east
through the village of Orchard and go on through Ballinaboley,
Rathellen, Rathduff, Dunleckney and cross Bagenals Bridge to the Royal
The little road (part of which is still open) was the route which
Bagenal hoped to see developed into the main coach road. The mail coach
would pass by his main gate and through his town. Thus Leighlinbridge
would have been by-passed about 200 years before its time.
There was a family who possessed Hotels at Leighlinbridge and The Royal
Oak who had other ideas. They were led by the young proprietor of The
Royal Oak Inn who was a wild and very popular character "named Cornelius
"The Devil himself an Inn bespoke
And he placed it in The Royal Oak
When he wanted someone to back it
What better man, than blind Con. Hackett".
Hackett's face was marked by a sword cut which disfigured his right eye;
such marks were worn with great pride by young men in those days. This
stanza was rhymed about him in his latter days.
The Hotel was three storied, Georgian and bearing the name 'Royal Oak1.
Fraser wrote in 1805 "a sign hung aslant over the door bearing the
representation of a very rotund Charles II peeping from an Oak tree.
Ryan the historian wrote:—
"This well known Inn was established here, probably a century ago; and
if we judge from the signboard that ornaments the front of the house,
is named in commemoration of the famous escape of King Charles II by
concealment in an Oak tree."
Bagenal tried to get the coach road to pass by his main gate at
Dunleckney and through his new and handsome town. But while they were
the most powerful family in Carlow, Bagenal was not favoured in
Parliament at that time. When the Act came up to improve the
Dublin-Kilkenny road the Hacketts lobbied successfully, they had access
to some of the M.P.'s from the South, as they stayed overnight at the
Royal Oak or Leighlinbridge.
In 1768 the bridge of Leighlin was widened by 8 feet and the hill at
Orchard was lowered to some degree. The turnpikes at Powers-town (just
up from the bridge of Orchard) and at Ballyknockan seem to have been
erected at the same time. There is no trace to be found of the Pike of
Powerstown and the house known as Ryans of the Tike' is gone long ago.
The base of the Pike at Burgage is still there.
Ryan the Historian mentions a stone at Burgage which was he said, one of
the marking stones of the Burrough of Old Leighlin. Other historians
referred to Ryan and so this minor local mistake is perpetuated; perhaps
Ryan may have been describing a different stone. The antiquary will find
but one stone now, a holed plinth recessed in the wall, with 18 feet
clearance on each side to permit the pike to yield to the traffic from
either direction. We have no documented proof on this stone which bears
the appellation "The Wart Stone"; because due to the danger and
difficulty of collecting tolls at country turnpikes the whole business
of tolls was removed to the Tholsel in Kilkenny in the year 1780. If
Ryan had enquired from the locals he could perhaps have spoken to people
with memory of the turnpikes.
'Royal Oak' was important because the horses were changed there at every
call and no change would be normally made nearer than Kilkenny and
The Cork mail coach with a double guard set out from Camden St., Dublin
at 7.45 p.m. through Naas, Kilcullen, Castledermot, Carlow, Leighlin,
Royal Oak - Clonmel, and arrived at Cork at 9.30 p.m. the following
night, doing that distance
in 25¾ hrs. The coach from Cork sets out at midday and passed through the
County Carlow at the dead of night or small hours of the morning.
The day stage coaches were from Dublin to Kilkenny and Kilkenny to
Dublin leaving 7 o'c. a.m. and 6 o'c. a.m. The traveller from Dublin
could expect to be in time for dinner at Kilkenny. If the coach ran late
they could dine at Carlow, Leighlinbridge, or Royal Oak. The whole
approach to the stage coach was very casual, when compared to the
incredible Dublin-Cork journey by mail coach. They say "that the horses
were changed, but the driver was not changed".
Travelling in summer weather was not too bad while the dry roads held
firm and the night was light and short. But what a terrible journey this
must have been in winter as the coach pressed on without a thought of
the suffering of men or beast; through the dreadful roads of those days.
Through the real darkness which came with night, the coach sped through
the unlighted villages and the dark and dangerous highway; the driver
peering into the darkness beyond the halo of candle-lit lamps. The guard
beside him nodding in torpor over his loaded blunderbuss.
Highwaymen and ghosts
There is a point on the Dublin road near Kilcullen where the road bends
on a hill and has a wooded embankment on the east side. This spot was a
favoured spot for 'Hold Ups' and is known as the Highwaymans turn to the
Again at Maudlin just a ¼| mile south of Leighlinbridge, the coach was
often 'Held up' as it was forced to slow down while crossing the river.
This was said to be done by the notorious highway man "Freaney the
Robber" who having robbed everyone aboard, made away up a lane to the
west into the townland to which he gave his name; Fear na Freaney (The
place or fields of Freaney). From this place he could ride in so many
directions that pursuit was impossible.
The Hackett family of the Royal Oak prospered during the life of
Cornelius Hackett (who died 1821) despite the rise of the thriving town
of Bagenalstown just ¼ mile away. The decline started during the 1830's.
William Hackett son of Cornelius Hackett was then the proprietor. He was
a furious O'Connellite and was named as ringleader of a group of people
who brought politics to the streets of Carlow, Leighlinbridge and
Bagenalstown. He was wounded in an affray in Leighlinbridge during a
midnight demonstration against Henry Bruen M.P. He lost the Post horses
in the late 1830's but battled on hiring out his stables to Purcell's
Day coaches of Kilkenny.
But the day of the post horses was closing. The great Southern and
Eastern Railway was soon to end the era of the post horse.
William Hackett died 1841 he was predeceased by his older daughter and
only son. His younger daughter married a merchant named Hoey of Old
Leighlin (now Matt Lynch's Shop).
Hackett Inn at Leighlinbridge (now Higgins' Shop) made a brief and lurid
appearance in history in 1798 when it was taken over by the Yeomen and
Militia. It was in the great room, over the wine shop that the trials
ran for days during the month of June in that year. Here Paul Cullen of
Craan and his cousins Garrett Kinsella of Rathornan, Denis Carey, Old
Leighlin, Lacey, Lannin, Carroll and many others unknown were tried.
They were all executed in a lane known as "Murdering Lane" which bounded
the Hotel premises on the east. Their bodies were dragged down to the
Inn yard which was open to the street, as it is to the present day.
There they were identified by those who dared to come and claim them.
The unclaimed dead were buried in a field still known as the 'Croppie
The Hackett family survived this ordeal and were better off than their
Royal Oak cousins in the early years of the 19th century possessing a
thriving wholesale and retail business. But they had not the colour or
notoriety of the latter and so have passed into anonymity.
Before we leave this perusal of bygone days there is a short story about
the 'Haunted' room in the Royal Oak Inn.
On a winter's evening William Hackett and his daughter Cecilia had but
one guest, a reserved, sad and distant young gentleman. Sometime after
all had retired for the night the guest heard a most distressing sound;
the sound of a woman in great grief. He lit his candle and opened his
bedroom door, the distressing sound was coming from a room across the
corridor, the door of which stood part open. On impulse he crossed,
pushed in the door, the candle snuffed out, but not before he saw
something lying on a four poster bed with two great eyes like balls of
fire. He reeled back into the corridor with a loud cry and his candle
stick crashed to the floor.
This brought the landlord and his young daughter from their rooms.
William Hackett kindly steadied the man and lighting a branch of candles
forced him to re-enter the room. It was bare and chilly with little
furniture other than the old four-poster bed on which an ancient
sheep-dog lay. William patted the old dog on the head and spoke
affectionately to him. Then they all went down to the kitchen. A drink
was brought to the guest. Cecilia made tea, which was still a great
novelty and talked away 'till all were relaxed and friendly. They told
him the dog always retired there; he was an old member of the family.
The young man confessed that his nerves were upset, he had lost someone
very dear to him under tragic circumstances. He was travelling by the
stage coach seeing the different places in an effort to dispel his
unhappiness. It was a sad story and he had a sympathetic listener in
The young man went back to bed in good spirit and all was well. What
William Hackett did not tell him was that it was to that bedroom, some
years before, that his oldest daughter had retreated in bad health. Then
on one wild Winter's night, she had fallen through the window and was
found in the early hours of morning smashed to death on the cobbled yard
in front of the Hotel. The haunted room was not used by anyone, the
door, which stuck a little on the floor, was left ajar to let in the
only visitor, the old sheepdog, her most faithful friend in life.
of the line
Some will remember the celebrated Rev. Tom Hayden. He was retired
from Foreign Missions and lived at Inch Cottage on the Carlow road near
Leighlinbridge. Apart from other things attributed to him, he was a
great natural educator, widely travelled, a gifted conversationalist and
storyteller. It was easy to visit him, he was always there, all you had
to do was walk round the back, lift the latch of the door, and there he
was, in the kitchen, seated before an open hard coal fire, his huge
frame sprawled in the largest and most dilapidated looking easy chair
you could wish to see. He was a little deaf in his eighties but his
brain was razor sharp. He pulled off his glasses, pushed aside his books
and you sat and listened to the magic of his voice. He was a grandson of
the above mentioned Cecilia Hackett, the last of the Royal Oak Hacketts.
Source: Carloviana 1984/85 No. 32
Please report any links or images which do not open to
- The information contained within
the pages of this web site is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved
Back to the top