CARLOW TOWNS

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Tinnahinch

Carlow


Main Street, Tinnahinch
Tinnahinch on the right of the River Barrow with Brandon hill in the background c.1900
Tinnahinch Castle.
Bridge over the River Barrow

TINNEHINCH, a village, in the parish and barony of St. Mullin's, county of Carlow, and province of Leinster, forming a suburb of the town of Graig, or Graignamanagh, in the county of Kilkenny, with which it is connected by a good stone bridge over the river Barrow: the population is returned with the parish.

Upon Tynehincy stands a castle in good repair. Ref. Down Survey.

Note: On the border of Carlow and Kilkenny  Tinnahinch Castle is a fortified house, which was built by James Butler around 1620. The last occupant of the house, "Mad Butler', was burnt out of the house, through scandals involving his own family.

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP OF PAGE