BACK
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Tom Lawler

1889-1949

The Plough Public House, Tullow Street, Carlow



Source: Michael Purcell <carlowmike@gmail.com>

Tom Lawler 1889-1949

[note added by Michael Purcell, July 2011 -

>From old newspaper found in the house of the late Larry Murphy (M.R.C.V.S.), Station Road, Carlow.

The subject of this obituary Tom Lawler was the son of Patrick Lawler of # 36 & 37 Tullow Street where the family operated a licensed premises and home-cured Bacon Factory. # 36 & 37 Tullow Street became the Munster and Leinster Bank, it is now Allied Irish Bank.

Tom died on his 60th birthday, the 18th June 1949

In July 1951 Larry Murphy married Marie Lawler daughter of Tom Lawler.

The Plough Public House, with the hanging sign " God Speed The Plough", is situated at 71 Tullow Street and was owned at one time by John Whelan, he also owned Corn Stores in Tullow Street and Bridewell Lane, the corn stores in Bridewell Lane were situated where the old Jail stood. John was the owner of several race horses.].

Nationalist and Leinster Times.

2nd July 1949.

Mr. T. Lawler.

One of the largest funerals in Carlow followed the remains of the late Mr. Thomas Lawler, The Plough Public House, Tullow Street, Carlow, who died suddenly on Saturday night of last week.

Mr Lawler was a very popular member of the business community, and one of the best known figures in the life of the town.

The tragic suddenness of his death was a great shock to his family and friends, and the the countless number of people with whom he was acquainted.

He was a well-known sportsman, and was especially interested in coursing.

He had a number of impressive performers including "Snowstorm" who won the McAlinden Gold Cup in 1947.

In the younger days he was a footballer of merit, and he captained the Carlow Rugby team which won the Provincial Towns' Cup in 1913 -1914. He himself played among the forwards.

After the First World War the late Mr Lawler took over The Plough from Mr John Whelan, and continued to carry on a fine business there since. He was a Director of the Carlow Gas Company and had many other business interests.

Any movement which aimed at the improvement of the town found in him an eager supporter, and he was a member of the Organising Committee which brought the Sugar Factory to Carlow in 1926.

He was for a number of years a member of the Carlow Urban District Council, and was also a Committee member of the Carlow Fine Gael Branch.

The late Mr Lawler was a devout Catholic, and seldom missed a meeting of the Sacred Heart Sodality.

The remains were removed to the Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, on Sunday, and interment took place on Monday in St. Mary's Cemetery, following Requiem Mass and Office.

Chief mourners were :- Mrs Molly Lawler (widow); Patrick, Michael, Thomas(sons); Marie (daughter); Mother M. Philomena (sister); Patrick, William, James (brothers); Mary and Margaret Lawler (nieces); Brian and Dermot Lawler(nephews); Mrs Margaret Whelan (aunt); Mrs P. Lawler, Mrs W. Lawler, and Misses Farrell (sisters-in-law); Thomas Farrell (brother-in-law); John C. Lawler, Dr. O' Dwyer, Thomas Lawler, Angela Lawler, Mrs N. Purcell, Mrs P. Keightley, Mr J. Brennan, Mr and Mrs J. McDonald, Mrs J. Nolan (cousins); Mr Vincent Dwyer, Mrs Thomas Lawler, Mr N. Purcell, Mr P. Keightley, Mrs P. Robinson, Mr T. Williams ( relatives).

On Monday Very Rev. P. Dunny, P.P., Tinryland, presided at Office and Requiem Mass.

Rev. P. Shine, Knockbeg, was Celebrant, and Rev. C. Crowley, C.C., Carlow, was Deacon; Sub-Deacon was Rev. P. Donegan, C.C., Tinryland. Rev. M. Coughlan, C.C., Carlow, was Master of Ceremonies.

Chanters: Rev. N. Cullen, C.C., Graiguecullen, and Very Rev. P. Maher, Vice-President, St. Patrick's College, Carlow.

In the choir were : Very Rev. D. B. Kennedy, Adm., Carlow; Very Rev. P. O'Haire, P.P., Graiguecullen; Rt. Rev. Mgr. Brennan, New South Wales; Very Rev. P. Doyle, P.P., Leighlinbridge; Very Rev. A. Byrne, P.P., Arles; Very Rev. P. Mac Suibhne, Rector, Knockbeg College; Very Rev. E. Kinsella, P.P., Doonane; Very Rev. Fr. Joseph, O.F.M. Cap.; Rev. W. Hughes, C.C., Portlaoighise; Rev. W. Gavin, C.C. Goresbridge; Rev. G. Murphy, Knockbeg; Rev. T. Kaye, Knockbeg; Rev. W. Dowling, Arles.


The information contained within the pages of this web site is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP