RAILWAY INDEX INDEX
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Tullow Railway Station

Co. Carlow


Tullow Railway Tullow Railway Station

Image source: 1998-2006 Disused Stations & Carlow County Library

Tullow railway station opened on 1st June 1886. The railway company was the Great Southern and Western Railway

Tullow Railway Station c.1900

It was closed to passengers on 27th January 1947 and closed completely on the 15th June 1959. The station house and part of a wall from the station building survive. The station site is now a housing estate.


There was a fatal accident at Tullow Station on 21st November 1901. Shortly after leaving that station the fireman noticed that there was no driver. Having stopped the train he walked back along the track where he found the driver. It would appear the driver had got out onto the footplate to make adjustments while the engine was moving out of the station and he slipped and fell under the train. He dies the following morning. Source: Nick Catford


This article below appeared in the Carlow Sentinel 8 Mar 1884 stating that the proposed Extension Railway from Baltinglass to Tullow is authorised.

Source: Carlow County Library


THE TULLOW EXTENSION RAILWAY

The Great Southern and Western Railway (Tullow Extension) Bill came before the Examiners of the House of Commons, on Thursday, for proof of the Standing Order, which was shown to have been complied with. The bill authorises the company to extend their railway from Baltinglass to Tullow, and provision is made for the payment by the baronies of interest at the rate of 4 per cent, on the sum of 60,000. It is proposed to raise under the bill a sum of 80,000 by the issue of debenture stock.

Source: Carlow County Library


[ Railway Index ] [ Milford Railway Station ] [ Brass Band ]

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM

Back to the top