21 Tullow Street -
UNICARE Pharmacy used to be Quinn’s house - Thomas
and Janie, Mary Patrick, James, Margaret, Jane, Rosaima, Josephine, John
Carpenter, (1911 Census)
22 - 25 Tullow Street
- Tullow Street House was in 1942 shared by three types
of businesses -William O’Brien, ironmongers, George Anderson, tallow
chandler and Hannah Plunkett, provisions, - afterwards owned by a Quaker
lady Miss Pew. This later formed part of Molloys Ceatharloch Hosiery
Factory, acquired by the Five Star chain in the 60’s, who also operated
the Barrow Lounge overhead. Until recently these premises were occupied by
two businesses a branch office of the Irish Permanent which then
transferred across the street and Rainbow Records; Gobstoppers shop took
Where we now have the entrance to the Tullow Street House was Daniel
Muldowney’s, tallow chandler, it later became the “Old Scotch House”,
owned by John Henderson, who employed such a large staff that they were
able to form their own brass band. This premises was also acquired by
Michael Molloy M.P. who died in 1926. It was later passed to his nephew
Thomas Nolan and then Woolworths of “everything under sixpence fame”.
Henderson originally shared No. 25 with Margaret Coulson, - milliner,
until O’Connor’s newsagents traded here before moving across the street.
The premise is currently The Orchard fruit and vegetable shop.
Dinn Ri Hotel (above) was owned by John
Henderson then it became the Molloys
Ceatharloch Hosiery Factory.
Tullow Street House arcade comprises of a variety of thriving shops
including Coffee Break, Star Save, Son’s and Daughters children’s
boutique. Carlow Florists Ltd., Tommy Alcock Shoes, Blakes Hairdressing
Salon, part of O’Dwyers Pharmacy, Graham’s Frames, and Hotline Ladies
- 26 - 28 Tullow Street -
was occupied by Patrick Byrne, butcher,
passed to Mr. Oliver, butcher, predecessors of Olivers Wool Stores and
fellmongers, Haymarket. This building was knocked down and rebuilt by
local money-maker Frank Slater; it afterwards became Meighans fish shop.
- Frank Slater was grandson of the legendary
Valentine Farrell and brother of John Slater, Mayor of Kilkenny. He had
numerous business concerns in Carlow including the Palace Cinema, Burrin
Street. Frank Slater who died in 1937 aged 54 was a granduncle of the
writer (Michael Purcell)
of this article.
- Cornelius Sheahan carried on a licensed trade in what later became
Bridget Lawlors, then Michael Kings, grocer and spirit merchant. Present
day Carlovians will remember this as Jimmy Kings, then Fogarty’s bar and
lounge, currently occupied by the U.D.T. Bank and overhead John Harmon
Auctioneer and The Mortgage shop.
- Adjoining U.D.T. Bank was Patrick McGuinness, grocers. This Later
became James Doyles, then Michael Meaneys and, in more recent times, Miss
Hoeys stationery shop and A. O'Brien Watchmaker & Jewellers shop. These premises are now
occupied by the Jolly Butchers, with the J.B. Restaurant upstairs.
Tullow Street -
The Meighan family took over Slater's Fish and Poultry shop at 29
Tullow Street and continued in the business up until the late 1970's.
On a Friday one could expect to see the whole Meighan family, Tommy, Judy
Molly and Martin, serving behind the counter. At the time Roman Catholics
were not allowed to eat meat on Friday. With the relaxation of the Second
Vatican Council many fish shops in Ireland went out of business. It now
houses Leisure Amusements, Shoes for Kids and Casablanca.
No 30 Tullow Street -
Jones' Boot & Shoe Shop was originally two shops. No. 29 was
owned by Monica Murphy. No. 30 was owned by the Maher Brothers.
This was acquired by Smyths in 1865, after Smyths came Poyntons who sold
to the present owner James Jones who sold Boots and Shoes. It was
also owned at some time by the Maher Brothers. It now houses the residence
of Karlo’s Shoe Heaven.
31 Tullow Street
1852 Finegans lounge and bar was leased from John Hamilton by
the governors of the Carlow Public Day School. Sometime later it
passed to Joseph Jackson auctioneer and grocer. His son William
obtained a spirit license and also had a travel agency there. Older
Carlovians will remember the colourful billboards outside the premises
advertising cheap rates to the U.S.A. (£10), and Australia (£20).
No 32 Tullow Street -The
Barracks was formerly the Garda Siochán.
The vacant Garda Station replaced Joseph Tynan’s seedsman and
grocery shop, who shared with James Fenlon painter and contractor.
Carlow’s first R.I.C. barracks was established in Burrin Street in 1940,
(formerly the Yellow Lion Inn). Another Police barracks was situated at
Forge Cross Graiguecullen. They moved to the barracks in Tullow Street in
1870. The R.I.C., departed in February 1922. The last District Inspector
was Michael Townsend and the last Head Constable was James McGlinchey. The
Civic Guards took possession on September 28th 1922, three sergeants and
twenty-eight Garda. One of those Garda was the late Denis Flynn who lived
in Burrin Street. The first superintendent was Superintendent Murphy.
- I was told, year's ago, that Dinny (Denis)
Flynn had the distinction of being the only Garda who served out his
full career in the one station, Carlow, he was never transferred. Can
anyone substantiate this?
- Source: PP.
33 - 35 Tullow Street
DARCY’S FURNITURE STORE,
it used to be Barbara O’Farrells bakery. O’Farrells owned the two shops, and were taken over by Cullens, drapers.
Later one of the shops was acquired by Nicholas Roche the “cheapest house
in Leinster for motor cars, lorries and motor cycles and all makes of
gramophones”; he was a member of the Urban Council and was a noted
cyclist. Mrs. Roche had a drapery shop in Dublin Street, now ‘The Golden
Grill’. Roche’s Garage extended out to Hanover. Darcy’s later established
a drapery shop in this premises, this has now been absorbed by the
furniture department. The second shop belonging to Darcy’s was the
Carleton Tea Rooms.
- Note: 33 -
Tullow Street - I have a
cutting from 1883 that puts James C. Fenelon "House painter &
Ecclesiastical Decorator, Contractor to the Royal Engineers" at 33
Tullow St Carlow. Edward was James' brother and my great
grandfather. Source: Angela Lawson
The Tullow Gate forming part of the
Carlow Wall was situated around this area, and as the Allied Irish
Banks property is the last property in Tullow Street which
originally belonged to the Manor of the Earl of Thormonde and the
walls were meant to protect the tenants and territories of the
"Lord of the Manor” it would seem that the Tullow Gate would almost
certainly have been along here and not down at the Garda Barracks.
Here are frequent references in old Deeds to the town gates of which
there were evidently four. Carlow gate stood near the present
St. Brigids Hospital. Dublin gate was on the Dublin Road near
the Convent of Mercy. Tullow Gate was in Tullow Street around
the presently vacant Garda Barracks and the Castle gate stood near
where Castle Street and Dublin Street meet. The course of the Town
Walls cannot be traced with any certainty; there is little doubt
however that one of the walls ran down the Western side of Dublin
Street. In making room for the Provincial Bank (now Thomas
Keogh Auctioneer and Valuers), a portion of the wall was was found
incorporated with one of the old houses. Part of this wall was also
discovered in Potato market when improvements were being made in the
neighbourhood of Thompson’s Works. Having been looked on as of
little use for the purpose of defence they were neglected and
allowed to fall into decay”. In 1361 Lionel, Duke of Clarence spent
£500 on improvements to the walls. In 1577 Sir Henry Sydney recorded
that the Walls of Carlow were "in ruins and down in many places”.
They have only lived on as traditional landmarks in deeds and legal
What is now the Allied Irish Bank was originally Michael Crotty’s
bakery and grocery shop. It was established as Bolgers Hotel by John
Bolger, whose son was Fr. Bolger, Chaplain in the British Army during the
First World War and later P.P. Graiguecullen. Bolgers passed to Patrick
Lawlor who had a bacon curing business and also a wine and spirit license.
Lawlors moved up to “The Plough”. In the 1920’s the property then passed
to the Munster and Leinster Bank. It was demolished in the early 1970’s
and was replaced by the present modern building.
Bolgers Hotel / The Munster & Leinster Bank (This building was later
owned by Patrick Lawler who operated a Bacon-Curing business and a Wine
& Spirit shop in 1911) The building was demolished in 1973 to make way
for another Irish Bank.
||The Munster & Leinster Bank in
permission of Michael Purcell
Tony’s barbers was until recently Frances O’Malley’s hairdressing
salon; Frances has now moved up to Barrack Street. This premises has now
been acquired by the Kenny family, Strawhall. This was George O’Briens
coach and car builders. later Hugh Kelly’s tea and grocery dealer and also
an Iron and steel merchant. The premises then passed to James McDonald and
then to Terence Byrne, horse dealer Terence entertained the Duke of
Clarence when he came over to play Polo in the county grounds at Tiny
36-37 Tullow Street
- Joan Walshe. AIB Bank Business Centre.
38 Tullow Street
- Creative Images. Hairdressers
39 Tullow Street
- Michael Whites Chemist Shop but before that it was Miss McDarby’s sweet and ‘top-shop’;
it passed to Dick Byrne who was a motor and cycle agent, he was a licensed
haulers, who he was also employed by Bishop Foley as a driver.
In 1931 Richard Byrne occupied number 39 & 80 Tullow st. Motor
Engineers & Garages
This section of Tullow Street dealt with in this article presents a
problem because of a mix-up in house numbers. There are people we can't place but who
lived in the area and are covered in this article are: (note the unusual names) -
Frances Cosker - fruiters (also of Dublin Street), Humphrey Desberry - Wood
turner, Joseph Spear - Boot and Shoe maker, and William Lord - Veterinary
I would appreciate any help in housing” these people, also any
general comments on this Tullow Street article.
- 40 Tullow Street
- Beside Whites Chemist Shop is ‘The Graduate bar’ which was James
Muldowney’s provision stores. It passed to ‘The Dacent Man’, Tom Nolan,
publican, a story is told of a customer who went into the Dacent Man’s and
called for a pint. The customer placed a handful of farthings and
halfpennies on the counter and drank down the pint while Nolan counted
out the price of the pint – “you are two pence short”, replied the
customer rushing out the door.
After Nolans came Tom and Mary Kirwan who continued
on the licensed trade. Kirwans were Gaelic League supporters and
always advertised in Irish. Kirwans were replaced by Hickey’s, then
Paddy Kealy and after him the Carlow Bakery Co., had a confectionery
shop in the front of the premises, while continuing the bar trade at
the back. After the Confectionery shop closed it was converted back
into a lounge bar.
42 & 43 Tullow Street -
Where The Nationalist
Stationery shop was located there was a shop
called Peter Doyle’s, saddlers; this became Michael Hayden’s Sweetshop,
they also sold chipped potatoes on certain nights. These premises were
occupied by Lennon’s before passing eventually to Gwynne Thomas. The
building where The Nationalist and Leinster Times office used to be
situated before moving to Kennedy Avenue was once shared by Jane Atkinson,
dyer and Samuel Coalbeck, tailor; it then became Mrs Taites, coaching
establishment, before passing to Edward Hopkins, coach builder In 1900 it
was the residence of Mrs Conlon, proprietor of The Nationalist.
- 44 & 45 Tullow Street
- is presently White's Pharmacy but was
until recently owned by the late Paddy Deere’s boot and shoe repairs
shop. It belonged to the Dunne family who also owned No. 45.
- In the census of 1901 we have at No. 44 and 45 Edward Cuddy and
Sons; Edward, James and Patrick were all tailors and Mary Anne and Lizzie
Cuddy were dressmakers. Other tenants at No. 44 included John Mericer
china, glass and earthenware dealer in 1842.
- The building belonged to
James Roger’s saddler, in 1870. In the 1920’s these premises were used as
a headquarters for Éamon de Valera, new Fianna Fáil Party. It is recorded that in
those early years “The Chief” himself visited No. 44 and 45. Presently
owned by Michael and Corrie Quinn newsagents and gift shop It was
previously owned by Howard Stanly.
- 48 Tullow Street -
Daniel Glynns, a whip maker, used to occopy these
premises before it passed to McDarbys and later Hylands. Where the gate into the ‘Nationalist and Leinster Times' works now
stands, Thoma McQuaide had his smith shop. Beside this was William Abben,
who was replaced by Thompson, watchmaker. Hardings were the last family
who occupied this house. This premises is now occupied by Abbey Murphy
49 Tullow Street -
Adjoining Abbey Murphy Insurances where the Insurance Corporation of
Ireland once had branch office is the Health Food Shop with X-Changes
overhead Until recently this was ‘Browneshill Press, and before that the
office Photocopiers International. This once belonged to John Whyte
carpenter, then McKennas, bakers.
- 50 Tullow Street -
Eugene Dooley’s bacon shop was Terence Molloy’s drapery shop. It
passed to Morans, shoemaker then Cuddy, outfitters, then Tommy Lennon
shoemaker, before passing to Tom Seeley who had hair-dressing salon there.
Eugene Dooley converted the salon into bacon shop and it was late acquired
by Anthony Cannon.
- Tom Seeley was a staunch republican and in the early ‘20's was
Interned in Mountjoy prison and several British mainland prisons. Tom was elected
a member of the Urban Council and at the time of his death was President
of the O’Hanrahan’s G.F.C., having been a firm supporter of the “Blues”
for many years.
51 Tullow Street -The
- was originally owned by Thomas McGuiness bootmaker.
The next tenants were Donohoes, then Mary Kirwans eating-house. Later Tom
Doyle built a ball alley at the back where many famous matches were
played. Tom Doyle boasted that he stood on the cross of St. Anne’s Church;
true it was, but at the time the cross was lying on the ground before
being erected on top of the Church. Travers, dressmakers were also here
before Dorans who had a restaurant. The Automobile Association man, at one
time a familiar figure on the streets of Carlow, also lived here. Borzo’s
Fish and Chip shop was next, it now belongs to the Bove family.
52 Tullow Street -
The Music Factory and Mrs Brown’s bar has an
interesting history. Originally John Gaffney’s Blacksmiths house it became
James Scully’s grocery shop, then Reynolds, later it passed to Wexford
born J J Dunphy and was known as the “Wexford House” Dunphy had a
billboard outside the premise which read “Halt, who comes there”. He was a
building contractor with “sanitary work a specialty”, and was a noted
Gaelic League supporter. After Dunphy came Brennans, then Nolans chemist
shop (now moved to Market Cross), then Mick Gorman, who sold to Kealys,
then it passed to Archibolds, who owned
‘El Ruedo’ and today has become a popular
rendezvous for many people.
Before we cross the street,
we should ponder for a
moment In Potato Market where Fridays gone-by you would find all
types of entertainment was provided. Caravans lit up with oil lamps
would display Punch and Judy shows, Waxworks and Menagerles. Sylvester
Bros., and Purcells Theatre etc.
Edwin Boake recalled a story of a
travelling American Dentist’, named Sequoi, who set up business in a
beautifully decorated caravan. He would have music playing so the
customers would not hear the cries of his patients. He extracted
teeth free of charge, but each customer had to buy a packet of
Prairie flower and oil mixture which was good for "the pains". Pat
Kerrigan. a dentist living in Montgomery Street did not like this
kind of opposition and
ran Sequoi out of town with a pea-gun.
Potato Market was also the
scene of many Political meetings. We ore very fortunate to have a
well preserved movie film of John Dillon M.P. addressing a Home Rule
rally in 1913. Others who spoke here down through the years include
W.T. Cosgrave, big Jim Larkin, Sean Lemass, and ‘Dev’. it is recalled that for
Dev’s meeting the crowd filled Potato Market and extended up as far
as Lennons Corner. Potato Market was also where Thomas Little Lived
- Bandmaster, founder
organiser, chairman secretary and member of various clubs and
organisations too numerous to mention.
53 Tullow Street -
The home of
during the 1901 census of Carlow.
55 & 56 Tullow Street
- In c.1931 Willie O’Neill & Sons had a large
garage at No’s 55 & 56. He was an agent for leading makes of Bicycles and
Motor Cars. Several shops occupy the space now including a Dry Cleaners
and the Permanent TSB now occupies one of the lots formally known as the
Trustee Savings Bank.