CARLOW TRADERS
 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Carlow Waterworks

Carlow

Source of Images: Terry Curran


Discovery of Historical Photos
Old photos show how it was done in the ‘30s
 These photographs show work been carried out installing new water pipes at the junction of Maryborough Street and Graiguecullen Bridge in the years of 1938/39.
Green Lane in mid 1970's

From the left CBS school, Bishop Foley School and on the right is Leinster Cresent,

From the left CBS school, Bishop Foley School and on the right is Leinster Cresent,

Maryborough Street near the bridge.

Graigue Bridge in the background

Taken from the bridge looking along Maryborough Street.

Carlow Drainage 1938-39

Names written on the back of the photo are  L McDermott Clerk of works
 and
R McGoverny. Arci
Nicholas O'Dwyer

The two men are L McDermott Clerk of works and
R McGoverny. pictured in the churchyard of St Clare's church in Graiguecullen with the roof of the old RIC Barracks in the background - a tombstone on the right records the fact that the remains of Fr. James Maher were reinterred in the spot in 1937, Fr Maher was parish priest of Graiguecullen 1841 to 1874. Also reinterred here are PPs Fr. Pat Maher, Fr Dan Byrne, Fr George Byrne.
Source: Michael Purcell

The only person we can name in this photo is Anne Ryan.

Maryborough Street near the bridge. The building in the centre of the picture is the Sacred Heart Men's club and the shop on the corner Murphy's grocery and Post Office

Maryborough Street opposite the gates to St. Fiacc's church

Maryborough Street

These photographs have been provided by Terry Curran for the Carlow IGP website and cannot be reproduced or published without the explicit permission of Mr Terry Curran. The photographs are the property of and are Copyrighted ©Mr. Terry Curran.

Note from Terry Curran: Only a few of the prints have anything written on the back. The young girl with the group of workers we know was called Anne Ryan


Green Lane in mid 1970's

The view is from the Railway Bridge at Green Lane in the mid 1970s, on the right, where the children are gathered, is the entrance to the Presentation School , Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal, on the left is portion of the new Fire Station. The photo was taken when they were lowering the level of the road under the Green Lane railway bridge and reinforcing the base of the bridge on both sides, in order to facilitate the passage underneath of high heavy duty lorries. Health and Safety precautions, which nowadays are implemented with roadwork schemes, were not considered an issue back then, hence the intermittent placing of barrels around the roadwork’s.
From Michael Purcell.
Note from M Brennan: The Carlow Fire Station in Green Lane was completed and opened in 1973. A new station was built on the same site in 2002. The white car in the foreground is a VW Fastback following a Morris in front.

The following appeared in The Nationalist in August 2010:

Given that Carlow town is currently in the midst of a massive upheaval with the ongoing main drainage scheme, these pictures taken 72 years ago are more than timely.

Owned by Blackbog Road resident John Curran, the pictures show waterworks taking place around the town back in the 1930’s.  “They were taken in 1938 by Kevin Murray, an engineer from Sligo,” explained John. John and Kevin, who has passed away, were distantly related, with Kevin’s wife sending John the pictures a few years ago.

The grainy black and white pictures show the mammoth efforts of workmen back in the ‘30’s who were carrying out similar job to what is going on now, just without the heavy machinery!

John said he felt the pictures were relevant given that similar work is ongoing in Carlow at the moment.

The town’s modern day residents can definitely relate to the upheaval shown in the pictures from 1938!

The photos were developed in Athy and still have the old packaging,” said John, who added that they show work being done on several streets in the town, along with Graiguecullen Bridge, which is clearly identifiable in some pictures.

Current works on the main drainage scheme are continuing around Carlow town at the moment, with construction work continuing on Burrin Street, with a closure in place until 17 August.

Construction of a large water storage tank is taking place at Mill Lane. A pipe will be built leading from Mill Lane to Kennedy Street in the coming weeks.

Separately, the urban relief road and flood relief works are progressing at Barrow Track, with construction of raised section of road and flood walls underway. Additional building of two combined sewer overflows at Kennedy Road and Pembroke is well underway.


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose  of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP OF PAGE