- (Part of) A rare hand dawn Ordnance Survey map of the Town Plan of
Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow, 1873
- Source: The National
- Sent in by Terry Curran c2008
Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
by Samuel Lewis 1837
- Bagenalstown, a post-town, in the parish of DUNLECKNEY, barony of
IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S.)
from Carlow, and 49 miles (S. S. W.) from Dublin; containing 1315
inhabitants. This town is beautifully situated on the river Barrow, and
on one of the mail coach roads from Dublin to Kilkenny; it is a place of
considerable trade, and is rapidly rising into importance; there are
some extensive corn-mills. It has a patent for two fairs, and ten other
fairs have been lately established by the proprietors. Quarter sessions
are held here in Jan., April, July, and October.
- Petty sessions are held
every Monday; and there is a manorial court, but no seneschal is at
present appointed. Here is a station of the constabulary police. The
court-house is a handsome building in the Grecian style, in front of
which is a portico with four Doric pillars. There is also a large and
handsome R. C. chapel, and a dispensary.
Source: Library Ireland
- The English name "Bagenalstown" is still
often used, but "Muinebheag" is the official name of the town while the
variation "Muine Bheag" is more commonly used, and is often used in
speech as "Muinebeg". Iarnród Éireann train services always use the
written timetable station of "Muine Bheag", whilst the spoken
announcements on trains are usually for "Bagenalstown".
The name Muine Bheag comes from the Irish
for a small thicket of thorns. The motto on the town's Coat of Arms is
"The Irrepressible Number" and its Irish equivalent, Uimhir gan choisc,
represent "9", which refers to the number of town counsellors.
is sited on a pleasant reach of the River Barrow and derives its name from
Walter Bagenal, who founded the town in the 18th century. His original
concept for the town was based on Versailles, which had its genesis in the
palace of Louis XIV, with fine streetscapes and classical buildings.
Shortly after he had made an impressive start by building the imposing
courthouse (above) modelled on the Parthenon in Athens - which is all that
remains today of his grand plan, his efforts became frustrated.
Bagenalstown also has its own Hillview Museum
which has a collection of Household artefacts and vintage farm
However, the arrival of the railway in 1846
rejuvenated the town, and its fine neo-classical railway station is almost
as impressive as the Courthouse. Fine examples of the Carlow Granite
fencing are to be seen at the railway bridge on the Goresbridge Road.
Nowadays, one of the finest views of the Courthouse may be had on the
approach road from Leighlinbridge which includes the spire of St. Andrew’s
Bagenalstown is a pretty town, with riverside
walks, picnic tables and a picturesque lock. Dunleckney Manor is situated
nearby. One of County Carlow's most magnificent country houses. The
present structure dates to the 17th century, although the manor was home
to the Bagenal family for almost three centuries from 1585 onwards.
Designed in Tudor Gothic style with oriel windows it is now restored to
its former glory.
History of St. Andrews Church
In 1817 The Church in Dunleckney was closed and the
Church in Bagenalstown was opened for Christmas Day 1820. The entrance
was from where the window is on the Men's side. It probably went as far
as the altar. Some say that part of this was rebuild later.
It was renovated 1893 to what it is today, almost. The
Steeple was added. Bernard Deegan, Royal Oak Road Chief Masons were
Doyle's. It was opened by the Bishop of Waterford in Oct. 1893 by the
then Bishop of Waterford. The Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin blessed the
1917 - Porches in side aisles were added .
Architect/builder was a man named Foley, a brother of Bishop Foley.
A Mortuary was added in Mgr. Conway's time and Fr.
Dowling renovated the Sanctuary in c1978.
(Cobden never mentioned, people were only interested in
the local people. The Land for the Church was given by the Newton
Family, the successors to the Bagenals. They also gave the land for
Source: Bagenalstown Parish.
- Fr Michael Donohoe
- (born on 26
May 1882 died 12 October 1927)
Michael Donohoe was born on 26 May 1882 at
Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. He was educated at Carlow College
(1898-1900) and D.Ph., Rome. He was ordained in 1905 for the Diocese
of Kildare & Leighlin; curate, Carlow, 1906-1908; taught at Carlow
College, 1909-1920; and then served as Rector, Knockbeg College until
his early death in 1927. During his term as Rector a new kitchen wing
was built, a new pavilion added in the college grounds, and electric
light was installed.
The “Moneybeg” or
- 1. Coming in to the Bazaar without paying is
forbidden, but paying without coming in may be permitted.
- 2. Those friends who could have improved on
this Bazaar, and are willing to do so, must address the undersigned in
writing, and enclose a cheque.
- 3. Persons will be told that if they please
come round they will be shown excellent things.
- 4. If persons don’t see what they want, let
them ask for it; if they don’t get it, let them take what there is and say
no more about it.
- 5. All transactions will be for ready money;
bank notes will be taken if left lying about.
- 6. No purchaser is expected to pay twice for
any one article, but such payment will not be refused.
- 7 Change will be given, but will not be
pressed upon purchasers.
- 8. No money will be freely returned unless
- 9. Any purchaser who is disappointed with his
purchases after they are paid for may replace them. on the stall without
- 10. No heed will be given to persons grumbling
about their purchases.
- 11. The Bazaar maxim will be strictly observed
in all cases — “Buy! Buy! Buy! and when you have bought — bye-bye”.
- 12. Visitors having spent all their money will
be allowed to leave the Bazaar for the purpose of obtaining more.
- 13. Mr. Ward, Overseer at the Turnstile, is
instructed to effectively deal with, and if necessary detain, any persons
suspected of leaving the Bazaar with money in their pockets.
- 14, Each person discharged at the Turnstile is
expected to send two in.
- 15. Everybody coming in to the Bazaar and
asking questions will receive prompt attention, provided they bring with
them the following letters of recommendation: — £ s. d.
- “Asking costs little.”
- “No man knows how much he can
spend until he tries.”
- The information contained in these pages is
provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their
ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By
Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved