INDEX

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Burrin Street

Carlow

Just some of the residences and traders of Burrin Street over the past 200 years.



Burrin Street at the junction of Pembroke Street. This image is similar to the image on the right.
Source: Google Street View
(Hyland's) then in 1935 became Kelly's Pub owned by Joseph Hyland on Burrin Street, Carlow - the photo was taken a while back after he had retired - I believe the window was used by a local artist to 'show' her work.
Source of info: Carol Bampton
Photo source: www.archiseek.com
Yellow Lion Inn
1880's - Deighton Plumbers & Vulcan Foundry & Ironworks.
James Shaw and Edward Burk, outside Deighton Works in Burrin Street, Carlow.
Photo courtesy of Miss Kathleen Shaw and appeared in the CARLOVIANA 1994/1995 edition.

Rare photo of the Burrin Street Cinema built by Fred Thompson around 1915. Unfortunately this cinema was burnt to the ground. The site is now occupied by the Post Office.

Source: Mrs Annie Parker-Byrne CARLOVIANA 2005


n 1923 soldiers of the newly-established Free State Army marched across Burrin Bridge to take possession of the Old Union Workhouse on the Kilkenny Road, Carlow.

Carlow Cycle Shop - owned by the Walsh family in Burrin Street.
 
c1700 William Montgomery of Burrin Street, Carlow was Clerk of the racecourse
LUCAS DIRECTORY
CARLOW 1788
Carter Robert Corn Merchant & Miller Burrin Street
Coffey John Cabinet Maker, China & Glass, Warehouse, Auctioneer & Timber Merchant Burrin Street
Haughton Samuel Merchant, Clothier & Wool Comber Burrin Street
Hughes Mary Linen & Woollen Draper Burrin Street
Hughes Roger Breeches Maker & Glover Burrin Street
Hughes James Manufacturer of most excellent bricks, etc. Burrin Street
Lennon Thomas Bunbury Wine Merchant Burrin Street
Maker Edward Liquor Dealer Burrin Street
Montgomery William Vinter The Yellow Lion Inn
Nicholson James Glazier & Painter Burrin Street
Nowland Edward Coach Maker Burrin Street
Rudkin Mark Silver smith & Hardware-man Burrin Street
1800's  
PIGOT and Co.'s Provincial Directory of 1824.

 

Clarke Simon, (Corn, and Miller) Burrin St - MERCHANTS
Stone Meade Nisbett, Burrin St - PHYSICIANS
Keating Edw, Burrin St - PUBLICAN
Murphy James, Burrin St - PUBLICAN
Thornton Bridget, Burrin St - PUBLICAN
Worthington Thos. Burrin St - PUBLICAN
Finn Thos. Burrin St - TANNERS
Hill James, Burrin St - PAINTERS & GLAZIERS
Haughton Saml. Burrin St - LINEN AND WOOLLEN DRAPERS
Brennan Timothy, Burrin St - LINEN AND WOOLLEN DRAPERS
Byrn Jas, (Linen only) Burrin St - LINEN AND WOOLLEN DRAPERS
Coffey James, (Wheat-Sheaf) Burrin St - INNS AND HOTELS
Bowler. Joseph, Bruin St - BOOT & SHOEMAKERS
Yellow Lion Inn
The Yellow Lion,  which was situated in Burrin Street dates back to 1761, when it had as proprietor one William Montgomery who was also Carlow's town Sergeant. Apart from having stables and a large supply of horses for the use of the public, there was also a large room in the Yellow Lion known as the great room ', in which many important town meetings, functions, entertainment and ceremonies were held. The yard adjoining the Hotel was the scene of much sport and gambling. There was a cockpit in this yard surrounded by seats on either side and cockfighting amongst local handlers was a sport enjoyed not alone by the local townspeople, but by travellerís residing at the hotel.

The Yellow Lion was often referred to as Lennon's Inn after Elizabeth Lennon who proceeded Montgomery as the owner.

1837 John Carpenter of Burrin street, Carlow (Registered Votes pursuant to the Act of the 2nd and 3rd of William IV., chap. 88, to the lst day of February, 1838) Amount - £10 on 2 Jan 1837.
Wheat Sheaf Inn
1840's
Just a few doors away from the Yellow Lion in Burrin Street, and in close competition was the Wheat Sheaf Inn. The Wheat Sheaf opened not long after the Yellow Lion and was still in existence when the Yellow Lion closed it's doors as a Hotel and re-opened as the Carlow Police Barracks in 1840. Thomas Coffey was the proprietor and his proud boast in 1794 was "I have furnished myself with commodious carriages, stout horses and careful drivers". Later on when the Hotel was under the ownership of James Coffey - presumably the former proprietors son, Daniel O'Connell had his committee rooms here, before and during the controversial elections of the 1840's
Slater's Directory
1842
Carv, Captain William, Burrin Street
Mrs. Hannah Montgomery. Burrin Street
Rev. R.OíConnor. Burrin Street
Misses. Hetherington. Burrin St
 POST OFFICE
1846
1846 - POST OFFICE, Burrin Street, CARLOW, William Henderson Cary, Post Master
Slater's Directory
1846
Captain William. Cary Burrin St - GENTRY and CLERGY
Rev, R. O'Connor. Burrin St - GENTRY and CLERGY
Margaret. Crossthwaite. Burrin St  - ACADEMIES & SCHOOLS
John Hewitt, Burgess. Burrin Street - ATTORNEY
Samuel, Haughton. Burrin St - BUTTER MERCHANT
Michael, Barrington. Burrin St - CABINET MAKER
Richard, Bordman. Burrin St - CARPENTER
James, Graham. Burrin St - COFFEE HOUSE
Samuel, Haughton. Burrin St - CORN MERCHANT
James, Morris. 74 Burrin St - GROCER & TEA DEALER
Thomas, Tynan. 73 Burrin St -  GROCER & TEA DEALER
Rose Carpenter. Burrin St - INNS & HOTELS.
Thomas, Tynan. 73 Burrin Street. - SEEDSMAN
Thomas, Hanlon. Burrin St - INNS & HOTELS. (family and commercial).
William, Graham. Burrin St - Brass Founder & Plumber
James, Morris. 69 Burrin St  - IRONMONGER
William, Boake. 67 Burrin St - LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPER
Richard, Byrne. Burrin St - PAINTER AND GLAZIER
John, Bradley. Burrin St - PHYSICIAN
William Graham. Burin St. -  Brass founder, and :manufacturer of apparatus for heating public buildings - Smith works.
William, FarreIl. Burrin Street. - PUBLIC HOUSE
John, Mahaer. Burrin Street. - PUBLIC HOUSE
Martin, Maxwell. 71 Burrin Street. Flax dresser and Sack manufacturer,
John, Bradley, M.D. Burrin Street. SURGEON
Michael, Rooney. 68 Burrin Street. - TALLOW CHANDLER
Edward Byrne. Burrin St - TEA AGENT
Samuel Haughton, Burrin Street. TIMBER MERCHANT & General merchant
William Henderson, Cary. Burrin Street. WINE AND SPIRIT MERCHANT
Wm. C., Lord. Burrin Street. - Veterinary Surgeon
Year 1851 John Donohoe living at 37 Burrin Street in Carlow Town
1880's - Deighton Plumbers & Vulcan Foundry & Ironworks.
James Shaw and Edward Burk, outside Deighton Works in Burrin Street, Carlow.
Photo courtesy of Miss Kathleen Shaw and appeared in the CARLOVIANA 1994/1995 edition.
1915 1901 Census for Carlow - Burrin St
Rare photo of the Burrin Street Cinema built by Fred Thompson around 1915. Unfortunately this cinema was burnt to the ground. The site is now occupied by the Post Office.

Source: Mrs Annie Parker-Byrne CARLOVIANA 2005

Early on Tuesday, 27th December 1937 the electric fire siren summoned the reformed Fire Brigade. A building in Burrin Street was on fire. When it was discovered that there was not enough hose, further lengths had to be borrowed from the Sugar Factory, thus the adjoining garage and Bridewell Lane were saved. Reads familiar! Not only that, the burning building was the cinema which was erected in 1913 by the firm of Fred Thompson on the site of the 1906 great fire. In 1928 the cinema was acquired by Frank Slater, he claimed it was the most up-to-date provincial cinema in Ireland. Tom and Davy Mulhall stand guard at the entrance. The last film screened contained a forest fire scene, some film fans said this had caused the fire. In fact it was believed but never proved that the fire was started deliberately, unfortunately for the Slater family the building was not insured. In 1967 Carlow's 'new post office' was erected on this site.

1923
In 1923 soldiers of the newly-established Free State Army marched across Burrin Bridge to take possession of the Old Union Workhouse on the Kilkenny Road, Carlow.
1915 - The Burrin Cinema

"We are pleased to note the continued and well-deserved success of the Burrin Street Cinema House and congratulate all concerned - and incidentally the efficient manager, Mr Hayward - on the programmes submitted and the excellent carrying out of the arrangements. Last weeks films were particularly attractive, and the pictures to be shown next week will, we understand, be of exceptional interest to lovers of the Cinema."

Courtesy of Carloman
Carlow Cycle Shop - owned by the Walsh family in Burrin Street.
Pictured outside are Thomas and Richard Walsh who were sons of Thomas Walsh a steward at Browneshill - and another Richard Walsh.

Sent in by Jacqui Udy 2011

1930 Year 1930's - Joe Brennan - Burrin Street worked for Governey's Boot Factory in 1934
 
Miss Phelan - Millinery shop at 74 Burrin Street. This was continued by Mrs. McDermott.  It was taken over by M/S Gillespie who sold the premises to the Nationwide Building Society.
Jones Business Systems in Burrin Street is located where Annie Nolan had a Grocery, Confectionery and Provisions Shop.
Source: CARLOVIANA 1987/88 Looking Back by Alec Burns.
1960's Year 1961 - Billie & Philis  7 Castle Street, Carlow
Year 2000  
The Deighton Memorial Halll, (built on site of former Courthouse), formally known in 1860 as 'The Corn Exchange', on Burrin Street, Carlow.
Photo Carlow County Library

Burrin Street in c.1960's
1950''s The Deighton Hall on Burrin Street and the steeple of St. Mary's Church before the new post office and telephone exchange were built in what is now known as Kennedy Avenue.  Photo taken in 1961 by Iona MacLeod.

Burrin Street viewed from Kennedy Street

Burrin Street taken from Dublin Street c.2006 without the traffic (Deighton Hall on the right)

Photo by Tom LaPorte

Burrin Street Post Office c'2006
(Photo W. Muldowney)

Burrin Street
taken from Dublin Street c'2006 (Deighton Hall on the right behind the white van)

(Photo W. Muldowney)


71 Burrin Street with Bridewell Lane on the right 2009 

 Burrin Street 

Long view of Burrin Street viewed from Kennedy Street  
 
  NEXT BURRIN STREET OF LONG AGO 
The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved 

TOP