A comprehensive collection of important material accumulated by
the late Edward Duggan was presented to Carlow County Heritage Society
by his daughter Carmel McDonnell at a special function held in Carlow
Rowing Club. Edward Duggan was a public representative in Carlow for
over 40 years, and was chairman of the group which negotiated the
setting up of the Sugar Factory in Carlow in 1926.
The collection contains documents and photographs relating to
Carlow. Also included were the minute books of Carlow Gas Company 1847 -
1953. The first Gas Works was established at Castle Quay, owned by Mr
Colquhoun, in 1845. In 1846 Mr Simon Clarke of Hanover House chaired the
first meeting of a new company, “The Carlow Gaslight Joint Stock
Company”. The works were situated on Mr Malcomsons property at the end
of Montgomery St., (now Greenvale Meats). The minute books contain much
valuable information concerning the commercial life of Carlow over a 100
C.C.H.S. hope to catalogue the collection (now named the Edward
Duggan Collection) and publish extracts in future issues.
Patrick Foley turns the first sod on the site for Carlow Sugar Factory,
January 5th 1926 in the presence of Mr Edward Duggan chairman Urban
Council and the managers Major Mascart and Mr. Hayek. We would like to
hear from readers who can identify any of the onlookers in the photo.