GRAIGUE-CULLEN

 

Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)


Graiguecullen Schools



Graigue 1970
 
Graigue 1970

Betty Keller My communion picture.1965
Some of the girls names:
With Brenadette Whitney, Mary Nolan for Portland, Catherine McNeillis, Catherine McNelis, Sally Kavanagh, Paula Alcock, Mary Hennessy, Gwen Wybrant, Elizabeth (Racey) Byrne and Joan Haughney.

Can anyone help identify some of the pupils in this circa 1931 picture of Graiguecullen schoolboys. Schoolmaster Mr. O'Leary is pictured standing to the right. (it does look like a McCartney standing in front of him.)

Maher Memorial School Graiguecullen c.1941. The School for boys and girls was opened in 1875. It was on the corner of Fr. Maher Street and the Numbers. Source: Esther Maher Butcher Facebook
St Fiacc's National School Graiguecullen which was opened in 1941
Source: Esther Maher Butcher Facebook

Graiguecullen Communication c.1985
Source: Anna Nolan Gough Graiguecullen (Facebook)
Boys National School Graiguecullen in 1941.
Source: Esther Maher Butcher Facebook

Any old classroom on any old day in Graigue — with Mickey Woods, Jacko Shea, Ger Alsybury, Pat Timmons, Jimmy Lawler, Patty Dooge, Frankie Callinan, David Cuddihy, Ken Murnane, P.J. O'Neill, Patrick Cullen, Eugene Kirwan, Michael Cuddihy, Pedro Byrne, Peter Hughes, Jimmy Doogue, Ger Watchorn, Jim Wynn, Ger Proctor and Donal O'Brien. Above photo supplied by Anna Nolan Gough c.2013

Fr. Paddy Byrne with the 1966 Communion Class — with Pat Timmons, Patrick Cullen, Ken Murnane, Mickey Woods, Frankie Callinan, Patty Doogue, Tom Comerford, Micko Shea.
Above photo supplied by Anna Nolan Gough c.2013

1987, Girls 1st Holy Communion class — with Tanya Hutton, Michele Whelan, Audrey Haughney, Sharon Brennan, Aideen Lyons, Stacey Davin, Pamela Fitzpatrick, Kathleen O’Rourke, Ellen Ni Dhuaig, Gina Coakley, Martina Murphy, Miss Murphy, Tracey Collins, Elizabeth Forde, Elizabeth Farrell, Nicola Mulvany, Therese Byrne, Fiona Cullen, Caroline Brennan, Nicola Slattery, Lorna Nolan, Amy Duggan, Lorna Dunne, Lorraine Heary, Kim Fleming, Niamh Brennan and Maria Meaney.
Source: Cornelia McAssey
Graiguecullen School c.1948

6 boys from Graigue in 1966
Back L-R..Tommy Alcock, Vincent Murphy, John Alcock, Front L-R..Mossie Alsybury, Denis Alsybury, Michael Moore, about 1966 in Pearse Road..aka The Slippy Path.
Source: Declan Alcock
Graiguecullen School c.1960's.

1970 Graiguecullen Communion — with John Hogan, Michael Dowling, John Scully, Gerald (Ernie) Timmons RIP, Martin Watchorn  Stephen Nonan RIP,  Martin Conville, Mick Byrne, of Henry st. John (disco) Dooley. Marty O'Rourke. Billy Doogue Paddy Moore Francis Doogue G. Bradley Mousey Aylsbury. Dinney Ryan Nolan from Pacelli Avenue.  Middle row right hand side (glasses) Liam Kelly.
Source: Willie Murphy Facebook
Graiguecullen School Miss Foley's Class 1987.
Parents association chairman Des Hurley presents a writing case to Miss Mary Foley, Graiguecullen school, for her work with children over the years. The group came first in Carlow Feis and first in the three part Irish Choir All Ireland Slogadh.
Source: Bridgett OShea Facebook

BACK TO: NATIONAL SCHOOL

Parochial School Returns 1824

(From Schools of Kildare and Leighlin 1775- 1835
by Monsignor M. Brenan, M.A., B.D. D.Ph. P.P. V.F., Edenderry)
By kind permission

Old Parochial School house c.2009 by Peter WalkerOn 14 June 1824 the English Government appointed a Royal Commission consisting of tour Protestants, Thomas F. Lewis, John L. Foster, William Grant, James Glassford and one Catholic, Anthony Richard Blake to enquire into the nature and extent education in Ireland as maintained in whole or in part from public funds, and to report on how education can be extended to all the people of Ireland.

The Commission sat until June 1827 and cost toe country £40,000. Dr. Doyle’s caustic comments on the First Report of the Commission leave no doubt as to its biased and prejudiced character. A Second Report was issued in due time by the Commission. Returns consisting of 1 5 queries were sent to every parish priest or non-Catholic minister.

These were sent back, but were published only in summary and partial form. The returns themselves were probably destroyed. The setting up of the Royal Commission only made Dr. Doyle more cautious and vigilant. He advised his parish priests to forward duplicate returns to himself. Over three-fourths of these duplicate parochial returns are preserved in the Bishop’s archives.

These were published by Monsignor Martin Brenan, P.P., DPh., V.F., Gill, Dublin 1935. Where the parochial returns are-not available, Blue Book Summaries are supplied. These parochial returns seem to be unique for Kildare and Leighlin diocese.

Parochial House


Arles Parish. Co Laois

The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM  By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP