Dedication of New
Bells in St. Mary’s Church, Carlow
A solemn religious ceremony was held in St. Mary’s Church, Carlow, on
Sunday, 14th inst., when a peal of 8 tubular bells was dedicated to the
Bishop of Ossory at morning service to the memory of the late Mr. and
Mrs. W. Browne-Clayton, Brown’s Hill, Carlow. The bells are a gift from
the children of the late Mr. and Mrs. Browne-Clayton. There was a large
congregation present at the service. Canon Ridgeway officiated, and the
Bishop preached and celebrated Holy Communion.
The Church is exactly 200
years built this year. On July 18th, 1726, the Right Rev. Joshua Hart,
Lord Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin, was present at a Vestry meeting in
Carlow. His Lordship then proposed that as the parish church was in
"a decayed and ruinous condition", it should be pulled down
and rebuilt forthwith. The Bishop informed the Vestry that
obtained from several worthy gentlemen voluntary subscriptions to the
value of three hundred and thirty nine pounds” towards the work of
rebuilding. The work was at once undertaken, and Win. Browne,
Esq., was nominated Treasurer of the Fund.
This gentleman was ancestor
of the donors of the new peal of bells. He carried out the work of
collecting funds and paying the tradesmen's accounts. His balance sheet,
most beautifully written, is incorporated in the Vestry Minute Book,
which dates back to 1666. The structure, then erected, continued for a
century without additions. In 1830, the Church was re-roofed, and the
present beautiful spire, designed by Thomas Cobden, an eminent
architect, was added. The Rector in 1726 was the Rev. Richard Grantham,
and the Trustees of the building fund were, the aforementioned Win.
Browne, Esq., Browne’s Hill; Philip Bernard, Esq., Straw Hall, and Major
Achilles La Columbine, one of the Huguenots, who had settled in what was
then called Catherlogh.
The new bells were founded and hung by Messrs. Harrington and
Holland, of Coventry.
Nationalist & Leinster Times, 22 May 1926 CARLOW
Opening of Tullow Golf
This article originally appeared in the
Carlow Nationalist & Leinster Times: 22 May 1926
On Wednesday last at 4 o’clock, p.m., at the first tee, the Rev. J.
Mahon, Adm., Tullow, President of the newly formed Golf Club, opened the
new golf links, and, notwithstanding the inclemency of the weather,
there was a large attendance of members. Mr. Roche, Captain of the Club,
in a few well-chosen words, thanked their President, Rev. Fr. Mahon, on
behalf of the members and on his own behalf, for his great activities on
behalf of, and the interest he had shown in the people of Tullow,
although but a few weeks amongst them, in providing for them that
long-felt want of a golf links.
They all agreed that golf was a fine,
healthy, amusing game, and he felt that the people of Tullow, old and
young, would be delighted with it in the near future. After a little
practice they would arrange inter-club matches, and make their Club
members as efficient as possible.
They were all greatly indebted to Fr.
Mahon; he was a great sport, as they all knew. He (the speaker) could
say a lot of nice things about him, but he would conclude by saying that
he hoped Fr. Mahon would be left with them for many years to help them,
and to enjoy the sport he had that day established. As a token of
recognition and thankfulness, the members desired him to present Fr.
Mahon with a box of golf balls. Mr. Roche then handed Fr. Mahon the
presentation amidst great applause. Fr. Mahon, in returning thanks, said
he was only too happy to help to create healthy amusement in their
midst, but he did not at all deserve such high recognition as referred
to by Mr. Roche, their Captain.
However, he thanked them most sincerely
for their nice present, and wished the Club every success. A match was
then arranged between Father Mahon and Dr. McCarthy versus J.T. Crowley
and S. Roche. The first ball was struck off by Fr. Mahon. On the
suggestion of Father Fitzsimons, it was decided that this first lucky
ball should be sold by public auction to some one of the members. Father
Fitzsimons acted as auctioneer. He asked the members to “bid him up”,
which they did vigorously, and after some ingenious auctioneering
tactics, the lucky ball was knocked down to Mrs. Samuel Roche. The links
are beautifully situated at close proximity to the town, on a farm of
Mrs. O’Connell of Bridge Hotel, Tullow, at Loughmartin, Tullow, and will
be known as “Hill View Links.”
Source: Carloviana 1994/1995
Please report any images
or broken links which do not open to
contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of
sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
© 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP