Last year’s Carloviana had
only gone to press when we learned of the death of Mr. Sean O’Leary,
who had been honorary secretary of the Old Carlow Society for 21
years. He had submitted his usual comprehensive report and list of
members for the 1989/90 Journal, and had checked the proof before his
Sean O’Leary was a native of
Cullahill, Co. Laois, and on qualifying as a teacher, took up an
appointment at Graiguecullen N.S. He was also qualified to teach Irish
to teachers, and set up classes in the Carlow area.
He was involved in all the
parochial activities of Graiguecullen. When it was decided to transfer
St. Anne’s Church from Carlow to Graiguecullen, Sean was secretary of
the committee set up to raise the necessary funds. The project was
completed in 1929 when St. Clare’s Church was opened.
He was also secretary of the
committee which was responsible for the building of the St. Fiacc’s
Schools in 1941.
But it was as secretary of
the Old Carlow Society that Sean O’Leary was best known to our
readers. This is the first issue of Carloviana since 1968 that lacks
Sean’s detailed annual report of the society’s activities. When we say
‘detailed’, we mean just that, for Sean was renowned for his
comprehensive report on the year’s lectures and outings in each issue.
His minutes of annual and
committee meetings were also noted for their completeness and
accuracy. Researchers of Old Carlow Society’s affairs will be grateful
for the industry of Sean O’Leary in recording events. This writer has
the experience of knowing that his reports have been consulted on two
occasions in the recent past to verify facts.
Sean in his retirement years
was always ready to conduct visitors on historical tours of the town.
The County Carlow Museum was another of his interests, where he was
happy to explain the exhibitions, particularly to schoolchildren. The
Old Carlow Society will miss his enthusiasm for promoting the study
and recording of our local history.
May he rest in peace.
Source: Carloviana 1990/1991 No.
Graiguecullen Teacher's Promotion.
Mr Sean O' Leary, who has been for almost seven
years Assistant teacher in Graiguecullen has been appointed
Principal in succession to Mr. Dan Fenlon. Since Mr O'Leary came to
Graiguecullen in 1922 he has won golden opinions amongst all
classes. His appointment to the Principalship of this school at an
early age is a tribute to his ability and success as a teacher.
[Note added 2011. St. Clare's Catholic Church was
formerly St. Anne's, Church of Ireland (Protestant) on the Athy
Road, Carlow,) it was sold to Graiguecullen parish for a nominal sum
and removed stone by stone to a new site across the river Barrow.
Mr. O' Leary remained as a teacher in Graiguecullen for at least 40
Leinster Times. Oct. 1929.
Dedication of St,
The newly-erected Catholic Church in
Graiguecullen will be solemnly dedicated by Most Rev. Dr. Cullen,
Bishop of the Diocese, on Sunday next, 13th inst. A special sermon
will be delivered by, Rev. Fr. Hannon S.J. Rector of Milltown Park.
Seats will be reserved in the Sanctuary and
transepts for all who wish to avail of them. St. Clare's Church will
accommodate eleven hundred people and it is confidently expected
that the congregation on Sunday will not be less than this figure.
Next Page -
Bishop Patrick Lennon