Arts and Film
William Desmond Taylor
(1872-1922) - Hollywood Film Director., Born in The Elms Carlow
- (1901-1966) - Legendry Cartoon Creator.
- (1853-1888 ) - Artist., Born in Dublin Street, Carlow
- (b1958) - Dancer & Choreographer. (Michael
and Eilish Flatley left Furteen, county Sligo, in 1947 to make a new
life for themselves in America. They settled on the southwest side of
Chicago and began raising a family that would eventually grow to include
five children. The second child, a son named Michael Ryan, was born on
July 16, 1958. He was only four years old when his grandmother, a dancer
from Carlow (and a Leinster champion) taught him his first Irish dance
- (b1951) Hollywood Actor.
- James McCudden
- (1896-1918) - World War 1 Flying Ace.
- Myles W. Keogh
- ( 1840-1876) - A Soldier of Fortune.
- Field-Marshall Viscount
- (1833-1913) - Famous British Military Leader. Born in Dublin
- John Lucas
Recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- John Lyons
(1823-1867) - Recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- Patrick Robert Reid
- (1910-1991) - Colditz Escapee. (son of John Reid from Carlow)
- Joseph Kennedy -
(1887-1982) - Private to Colonel in U.S. Army.
- (1795-1868) and Margaret Breen (nee Bulger)
- (1806-1874) Survivors of the Donner Pass.
and her daughter,
Mary Burgess (1829-1898) - Deportees from Tullow to Tasmania.
- (1831-1889) - A Limbless Legend.
- (1881-1963) - British Member of Parliament.
- (b1939) - Canadian Prime Minister.
James Wynne - (1841-1908) - Prospector &
- Sir John Kingsmill Robert Thorp (1912-1961) Knight
Edward Murphy - (1818-1896) - Canadian Senator.
Born in Carlow
Pierce Butler - (1744-1822) - Signatory of
American Constitution. Born in Carlow
- (1839-1900) - Gold Digger & Lawyer.
- (1874-1957) - Judge & Women's Rights Activist.
Peter Doyle - (1844- ?) -
Secretary of State, Wisconsin. U.S.A.
- Tom Nowlan
- (1875-1965) - King of the Road Runners.
- Catherine Nolan
- (1868-?) From Maid to Millionaire in Michigan.
and Margaret Rudkin (nee Fogarty) (
1897-1967) - American Businesswoman and Famous Bakers.
- Frederick York Wolseley
- (1837-1899) - Car Manufacture.
Pen and Print
- James Murphy -
(1839-1921) - A Forgotten Carlow Novelist. Born in Carlow.
- Murphy, James (1839-1921), novelist. Born in Carlow,
he was Professor of Mathematics at the Catholic University in Dublin He
wrote a number of novels and collections of stories from a nationalist
standpoint including Convict No. 25 (1883), The Forge of Clohogue
(1885), Hugh Roach the Ribbonman (1887), and The Shan Van Vocht (1889).
- Owen J. Wister
- (1860-1938) - Author of The Virginian.
- Peter Fenelon Collier
- (1849-1909) - Newspaper & Book Publisher.
- Margaret E. Ward
(b1968) - Author & Journalist.
Mulhall - (1832-1899)
and Michael Mulhall
- (1836-1900) Newspaper Publishers in Argentina.
- George Bernard Shaw
- Dramatist & Critic.
- Nora Naish
- (1915-) - Medical Doctor & Author.
Science and Medicine
- John Tyndall
- (1820-1893) - World Acclaimed Scientist &
- Patrick Murphy -
(1784-1847) - The Weather Prophet.
- Joseph Byrne
- (1870-1945) - New York Surgent & Lawyer.
- Samuel Haughton
- (1821-1897) - Perfected the Hangman's Knot.
- Patrick Francis Moran
- (1830-1911) -
Australia's First Cardinal.
- Terence Cooke
- (1921-1983) -
Archbishop of New York - A Future Saint?
The Third World
- Sister Theresa Dillon
- (?) - A Missionary with a Cause.
- Philip Walshe
- (1918-1987) - A Career in the Third World.
- John O'Gorman
(Bishop) - (1866-1935) - An Academic Who Chose the Missions.
- Brother Boniface Carroll
- (1877-1958) - Superior General of Patrician Order.
- Brother Francis Redmond
- (1999) - Established Famous School in Kenya.
- John O'Shea
- (b1917) - Founder of GOAL (GOAL
is an International Humanitarian Organisation)
- (b1970) - Liverpool & Irish International Soccer Player
- (?) - UK Based Horse Trainer
Please report any images or links which do not open to
information contained in these pages is provided solely
for the purpose of sharing with others
researching their ancestors in Ireland.
- © 2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects,
IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved