Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects (IGP TM)

Slaters Directory of 1881
Tullow - 1881
Transcribed by Terry Curran

Map of Tullow Town

Extracts from Slater's Directory of Ireland 1881

Tullow, with the village of Ballon

TULLOW is a market town and parish, in the barony of Rathvilly county of Carlow, 48 miles s. from Dublin, 8 S.E. from Carlow; very pleasantly situated on the banks of the Slaney, and close to the borders of Wicklow County. The river is crossed by a bridge of five arches, erected in according to an inscription on it in 1767. The town was: once called Tullowphelim, and conferred the title of viscount. Upon two branches of the Butler family, both of which have been extinct for many years, and the name as applied; to the place has all but become obsolete. The business of; the town is confined chiefly to a spacious market square and two streets, Bridge street and Mill street; there are a few other streets, consisting chiefly of the inferior class of houses. There is a spacious and well-built court-house, in which quarter sessions for the barony are held, and petty sessions every third Saturday. The other public institutions are a fever hospital, with a dispensary attached, an almshouse for poor women, erected in 1828, by the Rev. G. B. Dawson, a Protestant school, a convent and a monastery. The members of both the latter establishments receive boarders for education, and also Superintend gratuitously the instruction of the poorer children of the town. There are several extensive flour mills; a tolerable trade exists in corn and large quantities of butter are brought up for the Carlow and Waterford markets on the market day. A branch of the National Bank has been opened in this town, thus supplying a want which had long been felt in this district. The places of worship are the Protestant Episcopal Church and one belonging to the Roman Catholics. Both are very handsome the latter a spacious structure, having three galleries and a lofty steeple. The market, which is held on Saturday, is well attended. Fairs: January 20th, April 21st, July 10th, September 8th, October 29th and November 21st. The population of the town in 1861 was 2,388, and in 1871, 2,148.

BALLON is a small village in the parish of its name, barony of Forth, and union of Carlow, from which it is situated about ten Irish miles and four from Tullow. There is a Roman Catholic Church and school in the village, but no business of any importance and the Population in 1861 of the parish, 1,086, and in 1871, 951, and of the village 157.

POST OFFICE, Barrack Street, James Cassells, Post Master.—Letters arrive from Dublin {via Carlow) at twenty-seven minutes past five morning and at quarter past twelve noon, bringing the English mails, and are despatched at half-past one afternoon and six evening. _ Money Order and Telegraph, Office and Savings Bank. Post Office, BALLON, Mary Doran, Post Mistress.—Letters arrive from Tullow at nine morning, and are despatched at five minutes past three afternoon. The nearest Money Order Office is at TULLOW


NOBILITY, GENTRY & CLERGY. NOBILITY, GENTRY & CLERGY.
 
Not otherwise described are in Tullow. Not otherwise described are in Tullow.
 
Alcock Edward Vigors, Esq. J.P. Ballynoe Park Kehoe Rev. John, p.p. Ballon
Baillie John Maclean Esq. Sherwood Kidd Henry, Esq. M.D. The Cottage
Barrer Dawson, Esq. J.P. Altamount Lawrence Ralph, Esq. Munny
Bayley W. C. Esq. Ardriston Lecky J. F. Esq. j.p. Ballykealy 
Browne William Clayton, Esq. J.P Sandbrook park Lynch the Most Rev. Dr. James, The Place
Bryan Eev. J. Ardoyne McWey Rev. Simon, Rathtoe
Butler Sir Thomas, Bart. D.L. J.P. Ballintemple Massey Hugh, Esq. Tullow Lodge.
Courtenay William, Esq. J.P. Knocklow Montford Archibald, Esq. Killihure
Dillon Rev. J. J. Castlemore Nolan Joseph J. Esq. M.D. Bridge st
Doyle Mrs. Catherine, The Grange Nolan Rev. Patrick F. The Hermitage
Doyle Mrs. Margaret, The Grange O'Neill Rev. Thomas, Chapel lane
Donohoe Mrs. —, The Grange Rathdonnell Lord —, Lisnavagh
Drapes Eev. John L. The Rectory Roche S. S. Esq. J.P. Cullaghmore
Eustace Hardy, Esq. J.P. Castlemore Tuckbary Mr. William, Rathglass
Fitzgerald Mr. W. C. Ouragh Cottage Whelan Miss Henrietta, Tullow Lodge
Graham Mr. William, Bowmount Whelan Mr. John, Rathglass
Hanlon Mr. Patrick, Grangeford Whelan Pilsworth, Esq. Rath
Keogh Colonel John Henry, J.P. Kilbride Wolseley Sir C. J. Bart. J.P. Mount Wolseley
  Young William, Esq. Copenagh

SCHOOLS. SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, &c. SHOPKEEPERS, TRADERS, Continued
  Applebee John, baker & provision dealer, Mill St   
PROTESTANT FREE SCHOOL, Dublin Rd Appleby Edward, baker, Bridge st Holden Richard, saddler, Church st
  Bolger Edward, baker & confectioner Market Sq Hopkins Nicholas, cooper, Mill st
—John M. Carroll, master Bolger Teresa, hardware and earthenware dealer, Market Sq Hutton James, shoemaker, Mill st
  Boulger Eliza, baker & provision Church st Hutton John, shoemaker, Mill st
PROTESTANT SCHOOL, Aghade—Miss M. Boulger Michael, Grocer & Sprit dealer Bridge St Ivory Edward, car owner, Mill st
  Brennan Thomas, blacksmith, Ballon Kavanagh Mary, lodging house, Bridge st
Meredith, mistress Bridge st Broughan Michael Grocer & Draper Mill St Kohoe John, shoemaker, Mill st
  Brown Thomas Boot & Shoe maker Mill St Kehoe Patrick, coach builder, Mill st
SAINT BRIDGET'S CONVENT Burgess William Provision dealer baker & miller, Market Sq & Mill St Kelly John, provision dealer, Bridge st
 (boarding & day), Chapel lane—Mrs. B. Hayden, superioress Byrne Edward Grocer Draper and Sprit dealer & leather Merchant Market Sq Kelly Martin, cooper Ballon
SAINT PATRICK'S MONASTERY  Byrne Laurence Tin Plate worker Mill St Kelly Patrick, grocer, spirit dealer, seedsman & ironmonger, Mill St
(boarding and day), Chapel lane—Brother Anthony O'Neill, superior Carroll Thomas grocer & sprit Dealer Mill St Kennedy & Cassells, auctioneers, Barrack st
  Cleary John Blacksmith, Hawkins Lane Leggett Alexander, cooper, Ballon
  Coadey James, Provision dealer Bridge St Lennon Kate, baker, Bridge st
ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS  Codd James Relieving officer Barrack St McAssey John, provision dealer, Market sq 
  Cullen Thomas Shoemaker, Tullowbeg McDonald John, pawnbroker, Barrack St
Rathos—Morris Kealy, master ; Dargan James, miller & provision McDonald Thomas, lodging house. Church st McNally Andrew, boot * shoe maker, Mill St
 Miss Smyth, mistress Dealer, Tallow Mill, Mill st McNally Edward, boot maker, Mill st
  Dealey Wm. saddler, Bridge st lane McNally Michael, boot & shoe maker Mill St
Ardattin—Patrick Cosgrove, master Deegan Michael, blacksmith, Chapel McWilliams James, saddler, Mill st
  Deerin William Martin, grocer, draper, Maher John, grocer, draper & spirit dealer, Mill st Hotel
Ballon—Thomas Burke, master; Margaret Hoey, mistress, wine & spirit merchant & wholesale ironmonger, Market sq Maher James, car owner, Bridge
  Dillon Patrick, butcher, Church st Mangan James, nail maker, Abbey st
Upper Grange—Patrick Halligan. master; Anne Lynch, mistress Donohoe John, car owner, Bridge st Maugan Owen, nail maker, Mill st
  Douohoe Thomas miller, provision dealer Mill St Marshall Henry, car owner, Bridge st
BANK. Donohoe Thomas, Provision dealer, Ballon Moore Margaret, dressmaker, The Course [st
  Doyle James, Cooper, Church st Morris Joseph R. miller. Barrack
National BANK (Branch), Tullow— Doyle John, cooper, Tullowland Mulhall John, blacksmith, Chapel lane
draws upon the head office, London, and the Dublin Branch, Doyle John, baker & provision dealer, Mulhall Patrick, blacksmith, Abbey st
 Dublin—W. Q. Fitzgerald, manager; E. H. Hannigan, accountant Market sq. & Mill st Mulhall Thomas, blacksmith, Tullowbeg
  Doyle Michael, beer retailer, Ballon Murphy James, provision dealer, Market Sq
FARMERS Doyle Patrick, bookmaker, Mill st Murphy Kinsella, milliner, Barrack st
In Ballon Division  Doyle Thomas, baker, Ballon Murphy Patrick, clothes broker, Bridge st
(Carlow Union) Dwyer Michael, sheriff's officer, Abbey Street Murphy Patrick, timber, slate & coal merchant, Chapel lane
Brophy Winifred                 Dowling Thomas Dwyer Ruth, dressmaker, Mill st Murphy Patrick & Co. auctioneers, Chapel lane
Coghlan Edward                  Doyle John Fenlon Charlotte, grocer, draper & spirit dealer, Market sq Murphy Thos. grocer, draper, clothier & leather merchant, Church st
Conroy Richard                  Hinch John Fenlon Mary, grocer & spirit dealer, Mill St Murphy Thos. grocer & spirit dealer, Mill st
Corrigan Dora                     Kealy John Foloy Rosetta, straw bonnet maker, Mill St Murphy William & Son, grocers, spirit dealers, ironmongers & butchers, Market sq
Corrigan James                   Kepple John Halligan Terence, carpenter. Bridge St Neill Michael, blacksmith, Tullowbeg
Corrigan John                     Tracey Henry Harman John, shoemaker, Ballon Nicholson John, carpenter, Mill st
  Hickey John, provision merchant, Market sq Nolan Edward, grocer & spirit dealer, Ballon
FARMERS Hickey Joseph, baker, Market sq Nolan James, provision dealer, Mill St
In Carlow Division  Holden Kate, milliner  straw bonnet maker Mill St Nolan John, boot maker, Mill st
(Carlow Union)   Nolan Richard. shoemaker, Ballon
Brien Edward                      Furney Simon K PETTY SESSIONS COURT, Nourse James, baker & coal dealer, Market sq
Burgess Thomas                  Kelly Elizabeth Barrack Street, Tullow. O'Callaghan Edward M. mineral water manufacturer, Barn Cottage, Carlow
Campion Wm. B.                McArdell James Held every third Saturday. O'Brien John, boot & shoe maker, Mill St
Dawson John                      Moore Garnett  Magistrate —Sir Clement J. Wolseley O'Brien Michael, boot maker, Mill st
Dempsey James                  Nourse James Bart. Mount Wolseley; Sir Taos Butler O'Neill John, grocer, spirit dealer & ironmonger, Bridge st 
Dempsey Patrick                Thackaberry Eliza Bart. Ballintemple; William Clayton Browne, Esq. Quinn Eliza, provision dealer, Church St
Fenton Richard                   Toole Jeremiah Sandbrook Park ; Hardy Eustace, Esq. Castlemore Thompson Thos watches & clockmaker. Barrack st
Furney Benjamin               Wheland John Edward Vigors Alcock, Esq. Tomkins Martha, grocer, baker & draper Mill St
  Ballynoe ; Dawson Barrer. Esq.  Watchorn Wm. H. saddler, Mill st
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, OFFICES, &c. Altamount; Colonel John H, Keogh, Kilbride Whelan Peter, nail maker, Hoare lane
PLACES OF WORSHIP AND THEIR MINISTERS. Clerk—John Carroll, Tullow White James L. grocer, spirit dealer & bootmaker, Market sq
PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCHES  Constabulary Stations : -Tullow, Jas. Walker, constable in charge Wickham Michael, baker & provision dealer.Mill St
  Ballon James Ward, constable in charge   
Tullow—Rev. John L. Drapes, rector Dispensary, Barrack St (open on Mondays, PHYSICIANS & SURGEONS.
Aghada & Ardoyne— Rev. J. J. Dillon, rector;  Wednesdays & Fridays) Henry Kidd. M.D. medical officer.  
Rev. J. Bryan, Curate Fever Hospital, Tullowbeg — J. J. Nolan, M.D. medical officer; Margaret Merna, matron Kidd Henry, M.D. The Cottage
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHES Gas Works, Tullowbeg—Wm. Murphy, Sec; Edward . Lynch, Manager Nolan Joseph J. M.D. Bridge st
Tullow —The Most Rev. Dr. James Lynch, acting bishop;  Register Office for Births, Deaths & Marriages, Barrack St—Hy. Kidd, M D. registrar of births & deaths; 

PUBLIC HOUSES

Rev. Patrick. F. Nolan, administrator; Rev. Thos. O'Neill, curate James Codd, registrar of marriage only Byrne William, Bridge St
Adattin & Grange—Rev. Patrick F. Nolan, administrator FIRE, &. OFFICE AGENTS. Farrel James, Church St
Ballon — Rev. John Kehoe, P.P. ; Rev. Simon McWey, curate CALEDONIAN — W. L. Fitzgerald, National Bank Holden Richard, Church St
Rathoe Rev. John Kehoe, P.P. LIFE ASSOCIATION OF SCOTLAND—William M. Deerin, Market sq. Lennon  Daniel, Abbey St
    McDonald Eliza, Church St
BRIDGETINE CONVENT HOTELS Murphy William, The Green
Chapel lane- Mrs. M. B. Hayden, superioress;   Nolan Edward, Ballon
Most Rev. Dr. James Lynch, chaplain. Byrne William Bridge St O’Neill Patrick, Ballon
Sisterhood, twenty-seven Maher James Bridge Hotel Tullow Roche James Church St
  Lennon Daniel Abbey St  
SAINT PATRICK'S MONASTERY, CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY, MAIL CAR,
Chapel lane Rev. Anthony O'Neill, superior, Community, Nine The newest Station is CARMW, eight miles dist nit, on a branch of the Great Southern & Western line To CARLOW, a Mail Car, at half past one afternoon and six evening, arriving from Carlow at twenty seven minutes past five morning and half past twelve mid-day

Next Page - Clonegal, Kildavin & Myshall

Tullow 1870 Tullow 1881 Tullow 1894


The information contained in these pages is provided solely for the purpose of sharing with others researching their ancestors in Ireland.
2001 Ireland Genealogy Projects, IGP TM By Pre-emptive Copyright - All rights reserved

TOP