Landowners in Co. Galway, circa 1870s
Contributed by Jean Rice
The following individuals owned one acre or more of land in Co. Galway, Ireland, the
latter part of the 1870s. Of course, many more Irish owned less or none at all, and their names
would not appear on this list. Some owned property in Co. Galway but lived elsewhere.
Surname: Hancock, Handy, Hanly, Harding, Hardman, Harrison, Hart, Harter, Hartigan,
Haugh, Hazell, Healy, Hemsworth, Henry, Hennessy, Hennetta, Hewleatt, Hickman, Higgins, Hill,
Hodgson, Hogan, Holland, Holmes, Hone, Hopkins, Horan, Horne, Hughes, Huntington, Hynes, Hyor
1. John S. Hancock, Reps. of, address Carrintrila, Dunmore, owned 7,865 acres.
2. Alexander K. Handy, address Park House, Kinegad, owned 557 acres.
3. M. Hanly, address Dangan House, Drumsna, owned 299 acres.
4. Patrick Hanly, address Carrowmanagh, Barna, owned 204 acres.
5. Patrick Hanly, address Ballydotiagh, Belclare, owned 18 acres.
6. Timothy Hanly, address America, owned 25 acres.
7. John Harding, address Ballydotiah, Belclare, owned 18 acres.
8. Jonathan Harding, address Delsborough, Nenagh, owned 633 acres.
9. Mary Hardman, address Loughrea, owned 3 acres.
10. John Harrison, address Chester, owned 673 acres.
11. Martin R. Hart, address Clifden, owned 5 acres.
12. James C. Harter, address Hartivell Hall, England, owned 1,699 acres.
13. Edward Hartigan, address Dublin, owned 689 acres.
14. Rev. John F. Haugh, Reps. of, address Graystown, Kinnegad, owned 3,358 acres.
15. Thomas Hazell, address Doon Cottage, owned 495 acres.
16. Morgan Healy, address Castletourin, Athenry, owned 44 acres.
17. Jethro J. Hemsworth, Reps. of, address Rathgar-road, Co. Dublin, owned 286 acres.
18. Frederick H. Henry, address Lodge Park, Straffon, owned 1,044 acres.
19. Hugh Henry, address Firmont, Co. Kildare, owned 6,247 acres.
20. Mitchell Henry, address Kylemore Castle, Recess, owned 9,252 acres.
21. Michael Hennessy, address Galway, owned 227 acres.
22. Rose Hennetta, address Bray, Co. Wicklow, owned 142 acres.
23. Rev. Hugh Hewleatt, address Woolwich Commons, England, owned 370 acres.
24. Wm. V. F. Hickman, address Athenry, owned 18 acres.
25. Michael Higgins, address Rusheen, Cloonbur, owned 1,399 acres.
26. Patk. St. Leger Higgins, address Shrule, Mayo, owned 355 acres.
27. Thomas Higgins, address Tuam, owned 959 acres.
28. George Hill, address Vesey Lodge, Oranmore, owned 66 acres.
29. Henry Hodgson, address Oughterard, owned 622 acres.
30. Henry Hodgson, address Merlin Park, Galway, owned 17,064 acres.
32. Ellinor Hogan, address Shrewsbury, owned 36 acres.
33. George Holland, address Ballinasloe Lunatic Asylum, Co. Galway, owned 100 acres.
34. Patrick Holland, address Dromaun, Whitegate, Co. Galway, owned 62 acres.
35. Bassett W. Holmes, address St. David's, Nenagh, owned 212 acres.
36. Charles Holmes, address 6, Old-square, Lincoln's Inn, London, owned 74 acres.
37. John Galway Holmes, address Rockwood, Galway, owned 461 acres.
38. Joseph Hone, address Ballymore, Boyle, owned 124 acres.
39. Mrs. Hopkins, address Dublin, owned 190 acres.
40. Eliza Horan, address Loughrea, owned 9 acres.
41. Junius Horne, address Ballinasloe, owned 2 acres.
42. Dillon Hughes, address Cappagh, Ballinamore, owned 100 acres.
43. Huntingdon, Earl of, address Clashmore, Waterford, owned 3,694 acres.
44. Dr. Hynes, Reps. of, address Kinvarra, owned 2 acres.
45. John Hynes, address Fahy, Kinvarra, owned 72 acres.
46. Margaret Hyor, address George's-street, Dublin, owned 1 acre.
Surname: Ireland, Irvine, Irwin, Ives, Jackson, Jameson, Jennings, Johnson, Johnston,
Jones, Joyce, Kane, Keane, Kearney, Kearns, Keating, Keaveny, Kelly, Kemple, Kendall, Kenna,
Kennedy, Kenny, Keogh, Kerwan, Campbell
1. "Alliance Insurance Company," no address given, owned 282 acres.
2. Eliza Ireland, address Galway, owned 88 acres.
3. Mrs. Ireland, address Woodlawn, owned 1,267 acres.
4. Robert Irvine, address The Mills, Athenry, owned 2 acres.
5. Andrew Irwin, address Ballymore, Boyle, Co. Roscommon, owned 749 acres.
6. Mrs. Catherine Ives, address Dunmore, Co. Galway, owned 14 acres.
7. James E. Jackson, address Killaguile, Oughterard, owned 1,062 acres.
8. John Jackson, address Salt Hill, Galway, owned 224 acres.
9. Harry W. Jameson, address Windfield, Moylough, owned 3,123 acres.
10. Rev. William Jameson, no address given, owned 316 acres.
11. Benjamin Jennings, address Mountjennings, Co. Mayo, owned 139 acres.
12. Elizabeth Jennings, address Galway, owned 184 acres.
13. George Jennings, address Ironpool, Foxhall, owned 1,183 acres.
14. William Johnson, address Rent Office, Williamstown, Ballymoe, Co. Galway, owned 584 acres.
15. James Johnston, address Fohaney, Ahascragh, owned 1,092 acres.
16. St. George R. Johnston, address Rathcline House, Co. Longford, owned 1,139 acres.
17. John Campbell Jones, address Ballyconnolly, owned 455 acres.
18. John Joyce, address Clifden, owned 5,365 acres.
19. John Joyce, address Cullaghmore, Leenane, owned 216 acres.
20. Martin B. Joyce, address Rusheen, Cloonbur, owned 6,059 acres.
21. Mary Joyce address Clifden, owned 4 acres.
22. Michael Joyce, same address, owned 14 acres.
23. Pierce Joyce, address Merview, Galway, owned 3,743 acres.
24. Thomas Joyce, address Cullaghmore, Leenane, owned 747 acres.
25. Thomas A. Joyce, address Rahasane, Craughwell, owned 679 acres.
26. Timothy Joyce, address Palmerston, Portumna, owned 27 acres.
27. Tobias Joyce, address Cullaghmore, Leenane, owned 216 acres.
28. Walter Joyce, address Corgary House, Castleblakeney, owned 1,776 acres.
29. William Joyce, address Blakehill, Cloonbur, owned 177 acres.
30. William J. Kane, address North Wall, Dublin, owned 327 acres.
31. Agnes Keane, address Dublin, owned 190 acres.
32. Anastatia Keane, address Ennis, also owned 190 acres.
33. Lily Keane, address Dublin, owned 190 acres.
34. Richard Kearney, address Clifden, owned 7 acres.
35. Thomas Kearney, address Lackagh, Turloughmore, owned 482 acres.
36. Ambrose Kearns, address The Monastery, Roundstone, owned 52 acres.
37. Michael D. Keating, address Woodgift, Kilkenny, owned 1,211 acres.
38. Malachi Keaveny, address Stonepark, Glennamaddy, owned 724 acres.
39. Bernard D. Kelly, address Clondoyle, Glennamaddy, owned 754 acres.
40. Charles Kelly, address Newtown, Ballyglunin, owned 2,129 acres.
41. Cornelius J. Kelly, address Ashfield, Glennamaddy, owned 473 acres.
42. Dr. Kelly, address Strokestown, Co. Roscommon, owned 126 acres.
43. Edward Kelly, address Killeen Ho, Portumna, owned 177 acres.
44. Edward W. Kelly, address America, owned 270 acres.
45. Evelina Kelly, address Old Longford, Ballycussane, owned 389 acres.
46. Garret Kelly, address Ballydotia West, owned 67 acres.
47. James Kelly, address Cahercon, owned 1,610 acres.
48. John Kelly, address Cloonshee, Ahascragh, owned 83 acres.
49. Joseph Kelly, address Newtown, Ballyglunin, owned 89 acres.
50. Mary Agnes Kelly, address Rockmore, Athenry, owned 364 acres.
51. Michael Kelly, address Athlegue, Co. Roscommon, owned 306 acres.
52. Patrick Joseph Kelly, address Blessington-street, Dublin, owned 209 acres.
53. Gen. Sr. Richd. D. Kelly, address 8, Clyde-road, Dublin, owned 4,168 acres.
54. Patrick Kemple, address Clonmoylan, Woodford, owned 34 acres.
55. John Kendall, address Lincoln's Inn, London, owned 2,892 acres.
56. Thomas Kenna, address Maghera, Co. Derry, owned 132 acres.
57. Edward Kennedy, address Loughrea, owned 204 acres.
58. Hugh Kennedy, address Athenry, owned 7 acres.
59. Patrick Kennedy, address Tuam, owned 56 acres.
60. Mathew Kenny, address Ennis, owned 1,133 acres.
61. James C. F. Kenny, address Clogher House, Ballyglass, Co. Mayo, owned 3,540 acres.
62. Mathew Kenny, address Ennis, owned 1,133 acres.
63. Thomas Kenny, address Kelleragh, Banagher, owned 188 acres.
64. Francis Keogh, address Ballyderny, Mt. Bellew, owned 202 acres.
65. Henry Kerwan, address Tuam, owned 108 acres.
Surname: Kilgannin, Kilgarriff, Kilkelly, Kilmaine, King, Kirr, Kirwan, Knox, Lahiff,
Lambert, Lancaster, Langan, Langstaff, Larkin, Lattey, Laurence, Lawless, Lee, Leeson, Leitrim,
Lemon, Leonard, L'Estrange, Levingston, Lewen, Lewis, Lighton, Livesay, Longworth, Lopdell
1. Joseph Kilgannin, address Mornefreed, Eyrecourt, owned 211 acres.
2. Michael Kilgarriff, address Acres, owned 4 acres.
3. Charles Kilkelly, MD, address India, owned 3,107 acres.
4. Charles Kilkelly, address Dublin, owned 2,550 acres.
5. John Kilkelly, address Galway, owned 38 acres.
6. John Kilkelly, address Mossfort, Caherlistrane, owned 1,009 acres.
7. Lord Kilmaine, address Neal, Co. Mayo, owned 2,151 acres.
8. Cornelius King, address Clifden, owned 1 acre.
9. Peter King, address Killery Lodge, Leenane, owned 2,401 acres.
10. Thomas King, address Clifden, owned 2 acres.
11. Mrs. Jane Kirr, address Belfast, owned 181 acres.
12. Henry J. Kirwan, address Gardenfield, owned 1,403 acres.
13. James Kirwan, address Monkstown, Co. Dublin, owned 1,485 acres.
14. James A. Kirwan, address Dalgan, owned 388 acres.
15. John S. Kirwan, no address given, owned 837 acres.
16. Mary J. Kirwan, address Kilkenny, owned 261 acres.
17. Mrs. Kirwan, address Castlehacket, owned 8,374 acres.
18. Nicholas Kirwan, address Oughterard, owned 281 acres.
19. Richard Kirwan, address Baunmore, Drumgriffin, owned 4,308 acres.
20. Thomas J. Kirwan, address Blindwell, Tuam, owned 6,964 acres.
21. Annesly Knox, address Rapper Castle, Ballina, owned 724 acres.
22. Captain Knox, no address given, owned 1,423 acres.
23. Fras. B. Knox, Reps. of, address Dublin, owned 1,337 acres.
24. George Knox, address Roscommon, owned 240 acres.
25. Daniel Lahiff, address Cloon, Gort, owned 10,779 acres.
26. Mrs. Lahiff, address Gort, owned 136 acres.
27. Alexander C. Lambert, address Derrynaslegane, owned 1,121 acres.
28. John W. H. Lambert, address Aggard, Craughwell, owned 3,410 acres.
29. Thomas Lambert, address Castle Lambert, Athenry, owned 4,686 acres.
30. Capt. Thos. C. Lambert, address Near Galway, owned 2,621 acres.
31. Walter Lambert, address Castle Ellen, Athenry, owned 3,829 acres.
32. William Lancaster, address Fortwilliam, Ballinasloe, owned 657 acres.
33. Frederick H. Langan, address Hill of Down, owned 2,051 acres.
34. Dr. Langstaff, address Athlone, owned 125 acres.
35. Garrett Larkin, address Ballinasloe, owned 1 acre.
36. Robert John Lattey, address Creg Park Island, Oranmore, owned 3,469 acres.
37. Rev. Charles Laurence, address Lisreaghan, Laurencetown, owned 2,373 acres.
38. William H. Lawless, address Dublin, owned 230 acres.
39. Bridget Lee, address Clifden, owned 13 acres.
40. Connor Lee, address Pullorgh, Oughterard, owned 82 acres.
41. Redmond Lee, address Gort, owned 790 acres.
42. Roger Lee, address Pullorgh, Oughterard, owned 83 acres.
43. Sir William E. Leeson, address Caen, France, owned 710 acres.
44. Earl of Leitrim, address Lough Rynn, Mohill, owned 18,145 acres.
45. John D. Lemon, address Lemongrove, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath, owned 111 acres.
46. Dominick B. Leonard, address The Mall, Tuam, owned 1,496 acres.
47. Stephen J. Leonard, address Queensfort, Tuam, owned 382 acres.
48. William Leonard, address Kilgarriff, Ballinasloe, owned 1 acre.
49. Christopher L'Estrange, address Kevin's Fort, Co. Sligo, owned 293 acres.
50. Thomas L'Estrange, address Woodlands, Cloghan, 473 acres.
51. Julia Levingston, address Clifden, owned 3 acres.
52. Frederick T. Lewen, address Cloughan, Foxhall, Tuam, owned 1,266 acres.
53. John M. A. Lewis, Reps. of, address Ballingar, Loughrea, owned 6,683 acres.
54. Rev. Sir C. R. Lighton, address Ashbourne, England, owned 945 acres.
55. Charles E. Livesay, address Caslough, Ballinrobe, owned 1,970 acres.
56. "Local Government Board," address Custom House, Dublin, owned 92 acres.
57. John Longworth, address Glynnwood, Athlone, owned 3,271 acres.
58. C. U. Lopdell, address Bank of Ireland, Dublin, owned 3 acres.
59. Captain Lopdell, address Athenry, owned 1,365 acres.
Surname: Louth, Lydon, Lynch, Lynskey, Lyons, M'Alister, M'Allister, M'Bride, M'Carthy,
M'Cormack, Macredy, M'Dermott, M'Donagh, M'Donnell, M'Donough, M'Evilly, M'Gauran, M'Grath,
1. Lord Louth, address Headford, owned 4 acres.
2. Bartholemew Lydon, Reps. of, address Clifden, owned 4 acres.
3. John Lydon, address Clifden, owned 8 acres.
4. Martin Lydon, address Headford, owned 47 acres.
5. Mary Lydon, address Clifden, owned 14 acres.
6. Mary, Pat Lydon, address Clifden, owned 8 acres.
7. Mary, Peter Lydon, address Clifden, owned 9 acres.
8. Thomas Lydon, senior, Reps. of, address Clifden, owned 801 acres.
9. Thomas Lydon, junior, Reps. of, address Clifden, owned 10 acres.
10. William Lydon, address Clifden, owned 2 acres.
11. Mrs. Anne Lynch, address Oranmore, owned 8 acres.
12. Anthony Lynch, address Galway, owned 890 acres.
13. Anthony Lynch, address Lavally, owned 537 acres.
14. Catherine Lynch, no address given, owned 1,386 acres.
15. Charles Lynch, address Carrowbeg, Belclare, owned 337 acres.
16. Charles Lynch, address Ballycurran, owned 229 acres.
17. Edmond K. Lynch, address Rahally, New Inn, owned 264 acres.
18. Dr. Francis Lynch, address Loughrea, owned 403 acres.
19. Isidore Lynch, address Arrandale, Spiddal, owned 1,366 acres.
20. James Lynch, Reps. of, address Salt Hill, Galway, owned 1,812 acres.
21. John Lynch, address India, owned 807 acres.
22. John Lynch, address Sylaunnagran, Dunmore, owned 74 acres.
23. John Lynch, address Ballagh West, Dunmore, owned 70 acres.
24. John Wilson Lynch, address Renmore, Galway, owned 5,408 acres.
25. Marcus Lynch, address Barna, Galway, owned 4,100 acres.
26. Michael Lynch, address Tyanagh, Loughrea, owned 2,616 acres.
27. Michael George Lynch, Reps. of, address Toberroe, Foxhall, owned 390 acres.
28. Mrs. Lynch, address Petersburg Castle, Clonbur, owned 469 acres.
29. Owen E. Lynch, address Abbeyville, Loughrea, owned 47 acres.
30. Owen E. Lynch, address Richmond-st., Dublin, owned 255 acres.
31. Mrs. P. Lynch, address Clifden, owned 1 acre.
32. Patrick Lynch, address Sylaun, Dunmore, owned 111 acres.
33. Patrick C. Lynch, Reps. of, address Ballyboy, Tuam, owned 671 acres.
34. Richard Lynch, address Petersburg, Cloonbur, owned 7,260 acres.
35. Richard M. Lynch, address London, owned 513 acres.
36. Sarah Lynch, address Lynchfort, Loughrea, owned 59 acres.
37. Wm. Lynskey, Reps. of, address Gortnalea, Milltown, owned 406 acres.
38. John Lyons, address Summerville, Moylough, owned 218 acres.
39. Archibald M'Alister, address Kylemore Castle, Letterfrack, owned 97 acres.
40. Miss M'Allister, address 70, Rathgar-road, owned 354 acres.
41. James M'Bride, address Greenock, owned 415 acres.
42. Mary M'Carthy, address Clifden, owned 12 acres.
43. Patrick M'Cormack, address Ardkell, Mayo, owned 800 acres.
44. Robert Macredy, address Harcourt-st., Dublin, owned 512 acres.
45. James M'Dermott, address Ramore, Killimore, owned 3,626 acres.
46. Mrs. M'Dermott address Springfield, Ballymoe, Co. Galway, owned 2,571 acres.
47. Thomas M'Dermott, address Carrowrevagh, owned 319 acres.
48. James W. M'Donagh, address Lowville, Ahascragh, owned 1,562 acres.
49. Mathew M'Donagh, address Wilmount, Portumna, owned 174 acres.
50. Farrell M'Donnell, address Roscommon, owned 149 acres.
51. Joseph M'Donnell, address Keelkyle, owned 1 acre.
52. Martin M'Donnell, address Dunmore, Co. Galway, owned 9,114 acres.
53. Bridget M'Donough, address Spiddal, owned 1 acre.
54. Rev. Mr. M'Donough, address Oughterard, owned 8 acres.
55. Stephen J. M'Donough, address Dunmore, owned 46 acres.
56. Right Rev. Dr. M'Evilly, address Galway, owned 289 acres.
57. Rev. Wm. M'Gauran, address Ballygar, owned 94 acres.
58. Mrs. M'Grath, address Rahasane Road, owned 131 acres.
59. Charles M'Guire, address Carrowrevagh, owned 59 acres.
60. W.R.B. M'Guire, Reps. of, no address given, owned 991 acres.