Landowners in Co. Galway, circa 1870s
Contributed by Jean Rice
The following individuals owned one acre or more of land in Co. Galway, Ireland, the
latter part of the 1870s. Of course, many more Irish owned less or none at all, and their names
would not appear on this list. Some owned property in Co. Galway but lived elsewhere.
Surname: Thompson, Tighe, Trench, Tully, Twining, Tuohy, Turbett, O'Hara, Le Poer,
Martin, Handy, Dooley, Kirkaldy
1. Alexander Thompson, address Dublin, owned 1,244 acres.
2. Colin H. Thompson, address Lalruck, owned 8,111 acres.
3. Thomas H. Thompson, address Dublin, owned 155 acres.
4. William H. Thompson, same address, owned 263 acres.
5. Thomas Tighe, address Pallinrobe, Co. Mayo, owned 1,025 acres.
6. Hon. Charles J. Trench, address Merrion-square, Dublin, owned 1,051 acres.
7. Chas. O'Hara Trench, address Clonfert, Eyrecourt, owned 5,409 acres.
8. Emily M. Trench, address Newlands, Clondalkin, owned 1,042 acres.
9. Henry Trench, address Cangort Park, Roscrea, owned 1,581 acres.
10. John A. Trench, address Sligo, owned 250 acres.
11. Kate Le Poer Trench, address Ballinasloe, owned 1 acre.
12. Rev. Wm. F. Trench, address Kells, owned 994 acres.
13. "Trustees of Kirkaldys," address Edinburgh, Scotland, owned 2,090 acres.
14. "Trustees of Rev. Peter Dooley," address Galway, owned 311 acres.
15. "Trustees of Robt. Martin, junior," no address given, owned 1,789 acres.
16. "Trustees of Samuel W. Handy," address Tyrrelspass, owned 236 acres.
17. Thomas Tully, address Rathfarm, Loughrea, owned 51 acres.
18. Frederick Twining, address Cleggan, owned 869 acres.
19. John Tuohy, address Carrowroe, East, owned 144 acres.
20. Jas. Turbett, Reps. of, address Oaklawn, Co. Tipperary, owned 1,669 acres.
Surname: Usher, Ussher, Vandeleur, Vesey, Villiers, Wade, Waithman, Walker, Wall,
Wallace, Wallis, Wallscourt, Walsh, Ward, Watson, Welsdon, West, Westmeath, Whitaker, White,
Whyte, Wilberforce, Wilde, Willis, Woodcock, Wrixon, Young, Stanford
1. William Usher, address Kilgerl, Kilconnel, owned 434 acres.
2. William Usher, address Heathfield, Kilconnell, owned 184 acres.
3. Christopher Ussher, address Eastwell, Kilconnell, owned 3,666 acres.
4. Crofton Thos. Vandeleur, address Wardenstown, Killucan, owned 1,505 acres.
5. George Vesey, address Longdillan, Surrey, England, owned 6,061 acres.
6. Edward C. Villiers, address Beech-hill, Woodlawn, Ballinasloe, owned 580 acres.
7. Francis Wade, address Ballinasloe, owned 2,066 acres.
8. Gustavus Wade, address Clare-street, Dublin, owned 368 acres.
9. Patrick Wade, address Creggs, Ballyglanin, owned 98 acres.
10. Rochford R. Wade, address Fairfield, Aughrim, owned 1,189 acres.
11. Robert W. Waithman, address Moyne, owned 1,540 acres.
12. Rev. J. C. Walker, address Ballinasloe, owned 2 acres.
13. Mary Anne Wall, address Errislanan, owned 890 acres.
14. Wallace, (first name not given), a minor, address Dublin, owned 269 acres.
15. J. E. Wallis, address Beaufort-square, London, owned 426 acres.
16. Lord Wallscourt, address Ardfry, Oranmore, owned 2,827 acres.
17. Michael Walsh, address Muckenagh, owned 600 acres.
18. Michael Ward, address Clifden, owned 8 acres.
19. John P. Watson, address Stowlin, Eyrecourt, owned 730 acres.
20. James Welsdon, address England, owned 403 acres.
21. Very Rev. A. W. West, address Edgeworthstown, owned 1,600 acres.
22. Henry West, address Loughlinstown, Dublin, owned 1 acre.
23. Earl of Westmeath, address Pallas, Tynagh, owned 14,604 acres.
24. Rev. Chas. Whitaker, address North Wales, England, owned 5,826 acres.
25. William White, address Richmond House, Wexford, owned 692 acres.
26. Denis Whyte, address Derrainey, Whitegate, Co. Galway, owned 416 acres.
27. H. W. Wilberforce, address London, owned 4,378 acres.
28. Sir William Wilde, address 1, Merrion-sq., North, owned 13 acres.
29. Thomas Willis, address Ormond-quay, Dublin, owned 31 acres.
30. Mary Woodcock, and Geo. Stanford, Reps. of, no address given, owned 2,049 acres.
31. Mrs. John N. Wrixon, address Kingstown, owned 488 acres.
32. William Young, address Stradbally, Queen's Co., owned 1,888 acres.