COUNTY GALWAY LOOK-UP PAGE...
Wecome to our Galway look-up page
Please be considerate of the volunteers and
give as much information as possible, keeping look-up questions limited to a couple of names.
Please put "GALWAY LOOK-UP" in the subject line.
GALWAY COUNTY LOOK-UP PAGE
- MARRIAGES IN THE RC DIOCESE OF TUAM 1821-29
Please note that these
records cover ALL of the diocese, i.e. 25 mayo parishes and 21 galway parishes. Tuam parish is NOT included however, because their records pre-date these fragments and are readily available.
- The following all relate to the ARAN ISLANDS ONLY, Inishmore, Inishmaan and Inishsheer:
- PARISH REGISTERS -Baptism, Marriage and Burials- 1872-1905
- TITHE APPLOTMENTS of 1834
- OAP SEARCH FORMS (From 1841/1851 Censuses)
- 1821 CENSUS
- GRIFFITHS' VALUATION AND REVISION LISTS 1857-1936
- 1901 CENSUS RECORDS
- 1911 Census of Aran Islands
Inisheer, Inishmaan and
Inishmore now complete
- CIVIL REGISTRATION:
Birth, Marriage and Death Records
- Coastguards, Lighthouse Keepers:
It can be difficult to locate these men in the Indexes, as they were posted all over Ireland, and their children born in several different counties. I am building a database containing the records which cover these occupations, extracted from Civil Registration and other sources, covering Galway, Mayo, parts of Clare, Cork, Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary(south), Kilkenny(south).
Note: St Nicholas Parish
CATHOLIC records can be found on LDS Film # 926070
- OLD AGE PENSION SEARCH FORMS (GALWAY WEST)
Baronies of: Ballynahinch, Galway, Moycullen, and Ross
These Baronies include
the following Parishes:
From 1908, Old Age Pensions became payable to certain individuals over 70 on
proof of age. In the absence of birth certificates, applicants could request a
search of the 1841 and 1851 censuses to support thier claim. These forms were
completed between 1909 and 1922, when the censuses were destroyed by fire.
The detail contained is variable, from names of parents and townlands, to full
listings of siblings, and occasionally the entire census transcript.
- BOOK : "BALLYMACWARD, The Story of an East Galway Parish", by John S. Flynn.
This book contains a 4 page index of Persons, Families and Groups.
- BOOK : "FAMILIES OF COUNTY GALWAY", by Michael C. O'Laughlin.
A 206 page book which gives general information on Galway
surnames, "from the earliest times to the 20th century, including Irish family surnames
with locations and origins, including English, Scots and Anglo Norman settles
and Settlements". Many times a specific person is mentioned, but usually NO
DATES OF BIRTH, MARRIAGE OR DEATH ARE INCLUDED.
- BOOK : "Memorial Inscriptions & Related History of Kiltullah, Killimordaly and Esker
No more than two surnames in each request please; Subject line
should contain the word "Lookup Request"... followed by the name of the book.
- 1901 and 1911 CENSUS : for the townlands of Glentrasna, Lettermore na' Coille, and Muckanagh in the Parish
- VALUATION LIST "REVISION" BOOK (dates about 1860-1934) : for the townlands of Glentrasna, Lettermore na' Coille, and Muckanagh in the Parish
- BOOK: "THE HISTORY OF KILTULLAGH-KILLIMORDALY", a parish in East Galway.
This book has fragments of the 1821 census for the parish. The
Tithe Applotment Records and Griffith Valuation records are listed. There is also lots of
other information relating to the parish history from 1500 to 1900. Kieran would be willing
to 'look-up' names or other items for those interested.
- BOOK: "A GUIDE TO IRISH CHURCHES AND GRAVEYARDS" by Brian Mitchell
Each county is included and lists all the civil parishs. It
lists the Townland, Town or Street where a church or graveyard exists. It
also tells the demonination of the church (Roman Catholic, Church of
Ireland, Presbyterian, etc). It tells if the graveyard is next to a church
or completely by itself. It does not tell the actual name of the church or
- Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland 1851.
(This volume can help identify the baronies, civil parishes, counties,
etc. from the name of the townland or town.)
- 1901 Census for the area surrounding Spiddal in Co. Galway including the
townlands of Finisklin, Killough, Knock, Knockalough, Lettermass,
Letterpeak, Lippa, Park, Shannagarraun, Sheeaunroe, Spiddal East,
Spiddal Middle, Spiddal West, and Spiddal Town.
- Killascobe: the Church at the Crossroads - Menlough Parish Records
The files contain most of the records of Marriages in the parish
from 1806-1903 and Baptisms from 1862 to 1903.
The period from June 8, 1847- to July 25, 1849 are missing from the records.
In addition, it appears that the records from 1806-1847 were for the parishes of
Moylough, Aghiart, and Killascobe; after that date they were only from Killascobe.
Please send lookup requests to both of the addresses above, so as to ensure your enquiry reaches
- LDS British Isles Vital Records Index, 1530 to 1906
Please note, not all the records are covered by the Index
If anyone has any Galway records or books, and would be willing to donate some time doing
look-ups for people please email me, and I will add you to this page. We would be delighted
to have you join the team!
Back to the Galway Main Page