BALLYSEEDY, a parish in the barony of Trughenackmy, 4½ miles south-east of Tralee, Co. Kerry, Munster. Length, 2 miles; breath, 1¾; area, 3,489 acres. Pop., in 1831, 1,164; in 1841, 1,472. Houses 257. About 485 acres are bog and coarse mountain; and the rest of the area is good limestone land. The road from Killarney to Tralee runs north-north-westward through the interior Ballyseedy-house, situated east of the road, is the seat of Arthur Blennerhasset, Esq.- This parish is a vicarage and a separate benefice in the dio. of Ardfert and Aghadoe. Vicarial tithe composition and gross income, L 60; nett, L 51 10s. Patron, A. Blennerhasset, Esq. The rectoral tithes are uncompounded, and are impropriate in the patron. The vicar holds and resides on the benefice of Kenmare and Tuosist; and a curate performs the duties of Ballyseedy for a salary of L 10. A large school-house is used as the parochial place of worship, and has an attendance of 75. A Primitive Wesleyan meeting-house has an attendance of 40. In 1834, the Protestans amounted to 201, and the Roman Catholics to 1,075; and 2 pay daily schools had on their book 70 boys and 31 girls. [The Parlimentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1844. p. 179. FHL 6020358-82, transcribed by Nancy Bussey.]
Many thanks to Sean Ruad for this data from the IreAtlas Townland database
|Ballyseedy Civil Parish, Tralee PLU,
Trughanacmy Barony, Munster Province
* Caherleheen and Curraghmacdonagh are townlands in Ballyseedy according to: "General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands of Ireland" 1851 but are not on the map information we have available which are modeled after the Inner City Trust Maps, based on the Ordnance Survey completed in 1846.