County Kilkenny Ireland Genealogy
Catholic Parishes of County Kilkenny
(with dates of earliest parish registers)
Further information on the content and timeframe of Catholic
parish records can be found at
Catholic to Civil Parish Reference, or
Civil to Catholic FHLC Parish Reference.
Diocese of Ossory
Aghaviller (1847) Ag
Ballycallan (1845) Blc
Ballyhale (1823) Blh
Ballyragget (1856) Blr
Callan (1821) Cal
Castlecomer (1812) Cas
Clara (1809) Cla
Clogh (1858) Clo
Conahy (1832) Co
Danesfort (1832) Dan
Dunamaggan (1826) Dun
Ferrybank (1766) see Slieverue
Freshford (1773) Fre
Galmoy (1805) Gal
Glenmore (1831) Gle
Gowran (1809) Gow
Inistioge (1810) Ini
Johnstown (1814) Jo
Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin
Graiguenamanagh (1818) Gra
Paulstown (1824) Pau
Click on the map below for
a map of the Diocese of Ossory.
Diocese of Ossory
* St Canice (1768) St.C
* St John (1809) St.J
* St Mary (1754) St.M
* St Patrick (1800) St.P
Kilmacow (1858) Kil
Lisdowney (1771) Lis
Mooncoin (1772) Moo
Muckalee (1801) Muc
Mullinavat (1843) Mul
Rosbercon (1817) Ros
Slieverue (1766) Sli
Templeorum (1803) Tem
Thomastown (1782) Tho
Tullaherin (1782) Tuh
Tullaroan (1843) Tur
Urlingford (1805) Url
Windgap (1822) Win
(Catholic Parishes showing dates of earliest registers)
See also Catholic Parish Records
(Parish Outlines are approximated above)
Catholic Parish Map (1600's).
Catholic Parish Map (circa 1831).
Catholic Parish Map (mid-to-latter 1800's).
Catholic Parish Records.
Return to: Top of Page -- Home Page
Prior to the Reformation, there were about 130 parishes in the Diocese of Ossory, according to Rev. Carrigan.
In 1669 Newtown, or roughly the Civil Parish of Earlstown, was a separate Catholic parish, and became part of Callan after that.
In 1669 Mooncoin and Fiddown were united as the Catholic parish of Fiddown, and were divided again by 1692. Fiddown later became known as Templeorum catholic parish.
In 1700 there were 23 Catholic parishes in County Kilkenny.
In 1751 the large and ancient parish of Castlecomer was divided into Castlecomer and Muckalee.
In 1761 and 1776 the division of the large parish of Kilmacow into two parts, Kilmacow and Rossinan, was of brief duration.
In 1762 the large parish of Ballyragget was divided, placing Ballyouskill with the parish of Durrow. In 1764 Ballyouskill was made a separate parish. By 1766 it was again united to Ballyragget.
In 1781 the townland of Rathgarry was removed from Castlecomer and united with the parish of Ballinakill.
In 1784 the townlands of Grigueooly and Great Oak were united to the parish of Kilmanagh (aka Ballycallan).
In 1800 there were 29 parishes in the Diocese of Ossory, which included St. Mary's, St. Canice's, St. John's, St. Patrick's, Deans Forth (Danesfort), Thomas Town, Inistioge, Rosbarcon, Sliroe (Slieverue), Kilbracon (Kilmacow), Rathkyran (Mooncoin), Owning, Kilmaganny, Callan, Knocktopher, Gowran, Muckalie, Castlecomber, Ballyragget, Freshfield (Freshford), Ballicallan, Durrow, Galmay (Galmoy), Rathdowney, Lisdowney, Aghavoe, Upperwoods, St. Kyran's, Grennan (Grane).
About 1822 the parish of Windgap was made a distinct Catholic parish, originally comprising the Civil Parishes of Killamery, Tullahought and one-third of Kilmoganny, formerly part of the Catholic parishes of Killamery and part of Dunamaggan.
In 1831 the parish of Clough was first formed, from the townlands of Aghatubrid otherwise Chatsworth, Clough, Cloneen, Coolaleen, Crutt, Kill, Tourtane and Mooneenroe, formerly part of Castlecomer Catholic parish. In 1840 the townlands of Gorteen and Moonteen were annexed from Muckalee.
About 1831 Glenmore was made a distinct Catholic parish, formerly part of Slieverue Catholic parish.
The parish of Conahy was developed from cuttings from Ballyragget (1832) and Muckalee (1840) parishes.
About 1836 Mullinavat was made a distinct Catholic parish, originally comprising of the civil parishes of Kilbeacon, Killahy and Rossinan, and formerly part of Kilmacow Catholic parish. In 1946 the townslands of Clonassy, Listrolin and Rochestown were annexed from Mooncoin.
In 1839 the townlands of Gorteenahyla and Ballylehaun were taken from Galmoy (aka Erke, or Johnstown) and added to Lisdowney.
In 1840 the townland of Inchakill, in the civil parish of Mayne, was taken from Conahy and added to the Catholic parish of Muckalee.
In 1840 the following townlands were taken from Muckalee and added to the Catholic parish of Castlecomer: Ballycomey, Ballyhimmin, Clashduff, Clashduff Upper and Lower, Aghamucky, Dromgoole, Smithstown, the remainder of Coolbawn, and about 300 acres of the west of Cruttenclogh.
In 1843 Tullaroan was made a distinct Catholic parish, formerly part of Freshford Catholic parish.
In 1847 Tullaherin was made a distinct Catholic parish, formerly part of Thomastown Catholic parish. At that time Tullaherin did not include the Chapel of Bennettsbridge or that area of the parish north of the Gowran Road. These were added from Danesfort in 1857 to form the parish of today.
In September, 1847, Aghavillar was made a distinct Catholic parish, formerly part of Ballyhale Catholic parish.
In May, 1851, the townland of Killashoolan and part of Barna were taken from Galmoy (aka Erke, or Johnstown) and added to Freshford Catholic parish.
About 1852 the Catholic parish of Clara was created from the old Catholic parish of Gowran.
In 1861 the Catholic parish of Galmoy was separated from that of Johnstown. The parish formed after the reformation from the old Catholic parish of Erke (which was also called either the parish of Galmoy or the parish of Johnstown, depending on the period).
In 1873 the following townlands were taken from Muckalee and added to Castlecomer: Knocknadoge and part of Banse (east of Dysart Bridge).
In 1910 there were 41 Catholic parishes in the Diocese of Ossory. View this link for a geographic description of each parish.
In 1970 Ferrybank was made a distinct Catholic parish, formerly part of Slieverue Catholic parish.
In 2001 there were 42 Catholic parishes in the Diocese of Ossory, which included Aghaboe, Aghaviller, Ballycallan, Ballyhale, Ballyragget, Borris-in-Ossory, Callan, Camross, Castlecomer, Castletown, Clara, Clogh, Conahy, Danesfort, Dunamaggan, Durrow, Ferrybank, Freshford, Galmoy, Glenmore, Gowran, Inistioge, Johnstown, Kilmacow, Lisdowney, Mooncoin, Muckalee, Mullinavat, Rathdowney, Rosbercon, St. Canice's, St. John's, St. Mary's, St. Patrick's, Seir Kieran, Slieverue, Templeorum, Thomastown, Tullaherin, Tullaroan, Urlingford and Windgap.
Page last modified Friday, 16-Sep-2011 22:58:16 MDT
You are the 57926 visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
this web space.