Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Ossory
A Geographic Description of the Early 20th Century
Source: The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory, published by Rev. William Carrigan in 1905


From Volume II

Catholic Parish of Seir-Kieran
The parish of Seir-Kieran is situated in the King's County, in that part of the ancient territory of Eile O'Carroll known as the Barony of Ballybritt. It is entirely cut off from the rest of Ossory by the Diocese of Killaloe, which surrounds it on every side, except the north, where the Comcor river seprates it from the Diocese of Meath. It consists of three detached portions, viz :
(1) Clareen, which comprises the several townlands of Aghagurty, Ballygaddy, Bellhill, Breaghmore, Churchland, Clonmore, Clooneencapullagh, Courtland or Viewmount, Derrybeg, Glebe, Grange, Killinure, Kilmaine, Longford Big, Longford Little, Mossfield, and Oakley Park.
(2) The townland of Osierbrook. (108 statute acres).
(3) Fancroft, comprising the townlands of Fancroft and Glascloon (539 statute acres).
The first of these divisions is one mile south, or south-west, of the second, and four miles north of the third. The two chapels, at Seir-Kieran and Fancroft, are seven Irish miles apart. The total area of the parish is 5,818 ac. 3r. 23p. (statute measure).

Catholic Parish of Aghaboe
It comprises the civil parishes of Bordwell and Kylermough, in their entirety ; the townlands of Middlemount and Coolacurragh, in the parish of Coolkerry ; all of the civil parish of Aghaboe lying in the Barony of Clarmallagh ; and the parish of Kyledellig, except 100 acres. Previous to 1855, it included, moreover, the portion of the civil parish of Aghaboe situated in the Barony of Clandonnagh, which, with the 100 acres above of Kyledellig, became in that year the new parish of Borris-in-Ossory. The present area of the parish is 19,610 statute acres. [note: this parish lies in the Queen's County]

Catholic Parish of Ballyragget
It is made up of the ancient parishes of Donoughmore, Attanagh, Kilminan and Loughill, with parts of those of Rosconnell, Rathbeagh, Kilmocar, Grangemacomb, Durrow and Aharney. Down to 1832 it included, besides, the greater portion of the present parish of Conahy, and the townland of Inchakill, in the parish of Muckalee. About one-fifth of the parish lies in the Queen's County, the remainder belongs to the County Kilkenny. The total area is 14,600 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Borris-in-Ossory
It at first consisted of the two districts of Borris-in-Ossory and Knockaroo, cut off from Aghaboe, in Summer, 1855. The townlands of Cloneneen, Springfield, Gortavotha and Kyleogue South, and portions of Mundrehid, Caher (Retrenched) and Caher (Custodia), were added from Camross, later on in the same year. The boundaries of the parish then remained unchanged till May, 1875, when Skirke, or Killismestia, detached from Rathdowney and made a separate parish in 1840, was broken up, and part of it restored to Rathdowney, and the remainder permanently annexed to Borris-in-Ossory. The parish at present embraces the entire civil parish of Skirke, with portions of those of Aghaboe, Donaghmore, Rathdowney, Rathsaran, Kyledillig and Offerlane. It lies mostly within the Barony of Clandonnagh, but includes also a part of Clarmallagh and a small part of Upperwoods. Its area is about 17,266 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Camross
In 1839, the ancient parish of Offerlane, or Upperwoods, was broken up into two new parishes, one to be known as the parish of Castletown, the other as the parish of Camross. In 1855 Camross was itself dismembered, the townlands of Clononeen, Gortavoatha, Kyleogue (South), Springhill, and portions of Caher (Retrenched), Caher (Custodia) and Mundrehid -- in all about 1472 statute acres, having been then annexed to Borris-in-Ossory ; and Derryarrow and almost all Kildreenagh to Castletown. The present area of the parish is about 30,327 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Castlecomer
Soon after the Reformation, the districts now comprised within the Catholic parishes of Castlecomer, Clough and Muckalee, with a considerable portion of Conahy, and the townland of Oldtown, in St. John's, were formed into one parochial union known as the Parish of Castlecomer. This arrangement held on till the year 1751, when the union was broken up into two new parishes, one to be known as the parish of Castlecomer, the other as the parish of Muckalee. The new parish of Castlecomer, according to the terms of the division, comprised the two townlands of Kill and Tourtane in the civil parish of Rathaspic, and all the civil parish of Castlecomer except the townlands of Aghamucky, Cruttenclogh, Drumgoole, Gorteen, Moonteen, and the greater part of Coolbawn. The remainder of the union went to form the new parish of Muckalee.
The Parish of Castlecomer then remained unchanged till the summer of 1831, when Bishop Kinsella severed from it several townlands and constituted them the new Parish of Clough. after this the parish consisted of the town of Castlecomer, and the townlands of Ardra, Ballylinnan, Donagile, Firoda Upper and Lower, Glebe, Kiltown, Loon, Mayhora and Skehana, and a small part of Coolbawn. To these were added, from Muckalee, in 1840, the townlands of Ballycomey, Ballyhimman, Clashduff, Clashduff Upper and Lower, Aghamucky, Dromgoole, Smithstown, the remainder of Coolbawn and about 300 acres of the west of Cruttenclogh. Again, in 1873, it was further enlarged by the addition of the townland of Knocknadoge and of part of Banse (viz., the part lying east of the Dysart Bridge), which had till then also belonged to Muckalee.
At present the Parish is made up of portions of the civil parishes of Castlecomer, Dysart and Kilmocar. Its area is, in round numbers, 12,800 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Castletown
Offerlane, or Upperwoods, formed one parish from remote times, till the year 1839, when it was broken up into two new parishes, viz., Castletown and Camross. Of these, Castletown has an area of about 17,218 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Clough
In the early part of 1831 the townlands of Aghatubrid otherwise Chatsworth, Clough, Cloneen, Coolaleen, Crutt, Kill, Tourtane and Mooneenroe were severed from Castlecomer and formed into a distinct parish to be known as the Parish of Clough. In 1840 the new parish was increased by the addition of Gorteen and Moonteen, taken from Muckalee. With the exception of Kill and Tourtane, which belong to the civil parish of Rathaspic, all the parish of Clough is included in the civil parish of Castlecomer. Its area is about 8,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Conahy
Conahy was severed from Ballyragget and became a separate parish, in May, 1832. In April, 1840, the townlands of Banse, Esker, Kilcollan, Lisnafunshin, Newtown and part of Maudlin, were added from Muckalee ; at the same time Inchakill was taken from Conahy and annexed to Muckalee. The present area of the parish is 11,000 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Durrow
This parish is a union of the two civil parishes of Durrow (except the townland of Rath, and portions of the townlands of Castlewood, Grenan and Fermoyle, which belong to Ballyragget), and Aghamacart. Its area is 15,210 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Freshford
It embraces the entire civil parishes of Freshford, Clashacrow, and Garranamanagh ; nearly all those of Odagh and Ballylarkin ; about two-thirds of Ballinamarra ; parts of Clomantagh and Tubridbritain ; and the townland of Killashoolan, added from Johnstown and Galmoy, on the 22nd May, 1851. Previous to February, 1843, it formed one parish with Tullaroan. Its area is 14,000 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Galmoy
Soon after the Reformation the civil parishes of Erke, Fertagh, Glashare and Rathlogan, and the townland of Ballydavin in the civil parish of Rathdowney, were formed into one united parish known indiscriminately, at first, as the parish of Galmoy, and as the parish of Erke ; and, in later times, mostly, as the parish of Johnstown. In the beginning of 1839, Gorteenahyla and Ballylehaun were withdrawn from the union and added to Lisdowney ; and on the 22nd May, 1851, Killashoolan and Barna (part of) were added to Freshford. In the middle of 1861 the union was broken up into two new parishes, the one to be called the parish of Johnstown, the other to be called the parish of Galmoy. To the former were assigned the whole civil parish of Fertagh (less the two townlands already added to Freshford, as above), the parish of Rathlogan, and the townlands of Ballyellis, Lough, Rathpoleen, Toornamongan, Warrenstown, Baunmore, Crosspatrick and Foulkscourt, in the parish of Erke -- in all 10,758 statue acres ; to the latter were allotted all the townlands of Erke parish not included in Johnstown, together with the townlands of Coolnacrittia and Glashare -- in all 15,767 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Johnstown
It formed one parochial union with Galmoy till 1861, when it became a separate parish. (see Galmoy).

Catholic Parish of Lisdowney
It comprises the civil parishes of Aharney, Sheffin, Balleen and Coolcashin, with parts of those of Coolcraheen, Grangemacomb, Rathbeagh and Glashare. Its area id 18,463 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Rathdowney
It embraced the entire civil parishes of Rathdowney (except the townland of Ballydavin), Rathsaran, Donnaghmore and Skirke, and the greate part of Coolkerry, down to the year 1840, when the district of Skirke or Killismestia was cut off and made a separate parish. On the 9th of May, 1875, the townlands of Akip, Beckfield, Clonburren (White), Donnaghmore, Dunnacliggan, Tinnaclohy, Castletown Feereeagh, Raheen Upper, Raheen Lower, and part of Raheenphelan Glebe were withdrawn from Skirke and restored to Rathdowney ; and on the same day, or a few days later, the remaining portion of the parush of Skirke was canonically united to Borris-in-Ossory. The present area of the parish is 18,000 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Urlingford
It embraces the entire civil parishes of Urlingford, Borrismore and Killahy ; most of those of Tubridbritain and Canlomtagh ; Newtown in the civil parish of Kilcooley ; and Moonavrogue, in the civil parish of Ballylarkin. Its area is 13,370 statute acres.


From Volume III

Cathedral Parish of St. Mary's
St. Mary's parish is entirely within the city of Kilkenny. St. Mary's church was a parish church as early as the beginning of the 13th century.

Catholic Parish of St. Canice's
The present parish consists of the entire civil parish of St. Maul's, and of the entire civil parish of St. Canice's, except the following denominations, which belong to St. Patrick's, viz., Archer's Street Lot, Cashel, Maiden Hill, Sugarloaf Hill (otherwise Rose Hill), Marnell's Meadows, Walkin's Lough, and part of Duke's Meadow. Its area, city and rural combined, is 6,957 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of St. Patrick's
It comprises the civil parish of St. Patrick's ; the following denominations in the civil parish of St. Canice's, viz. Archer's Street Lot, Cashel, Maiden Hill, Sugarloaf Hill (otherwise Rose Hill), Marnell's Meadows, Walkin's Lough, and part of Duke's Meadow ; and the civil parishes of Kilferagh, Outrath, and Castleinch or Inchiologhan. Its area is 10,831 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of St. John's
It is a union of the civil parishes of St. John's (except the south side of Rose Inn Strett, added to St. Mary's about 1800), Dunmore, Rathcoole (except the townland of Knocknagappoge, which belongs to Muckalee), Kilderry and Kilkieran. Its ares is about 14,600 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Callan
The present parish of Callan is made up of the old parishes of Callan, Tullamaine, Cooliaghmore (except the townland of Booliafliugh), Earlstown, and Mallardstown, together with the townlands of Gortnasragh, Ballylarkin and Ballyline, in the parish of Killaloe. Previous to the Reformation, Callan was the head of a union embracing the old parishes of Callan, Tullamaine, Cooliaghmore, Killaloe, Ballycallan and Tullaroan, and was then, consequently, the most important benefice in Ossory Diocese. At present the area of the parish is about 18, 080 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Clara
It is a union of the civil parishes of Clara, St. Martin's, Blackrath, Dunbell and Tascoffin, and part of Blanchvilleskill. Down to 1852 it formed one parish with Gowran. Its area is about 13,000 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Danesfort
It embraces the old civil parishes of Danesfort, Grangekilree, Burnchurch, Ballybuir, and Grange ; the portion of Tullaghanbroge in the Barony of Shillelogher ; the townlands of Garrynaman, Kellsborough, Kellsgrange, Killiny, and Viper, in the old parish of Kells ; and the townland of Ennisnag, in the parish of Ennisnag. Its area is 13,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Gowran
It comprises the entire of the civil parishes of Gowran and Dungarvan, together with a portion of the civil parish of Blanchvilleskill. Previous to 1852, it also included the present parish of Clara. Its area is about 12,400 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Kilmanagh
It consists of the civil parishes of Kilmanagh, Killaloe (except the townlands of Ballylarkin, and Gortnaragh, which belong to Callan), and Ballycallan, and of the portion of the civil parish of Tullaghanbroge lying in the Barony of Crannagh. Its area is 18,870 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Muckalee
It consists of the civil parishes of Muckalee, Kilmodum, Kilmodimoge, Mothell (except the townlands of Esker, Kilcollan, Lisnafunshin and Maudlin), and Dysart (except the townlands of Ballycomey, Clashduff, Dysart Glebe, Knocknadoge, and most of Smithstown) ; of most of the large townland of Cruttenclogh, in the civil parish of Castlecomer ; of the townland of Knocknaguppoge, in the civil parish of Rathcoole ; and, since 1840, of the townland of Inchakill, in the civil parish og Mayne. Its area is about 22,100 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Tullaherin
The entire civil parishes of Tullaherin and Killarney, two-thirds of those of Kilfane and Woollengrange, and a small portion of the parish of Treadingstown, including all of Bennetsbridge village to the south of the Gowran road, were severed from Thomastown, and formed the new parish of Tullaherin, in 1847. All the rest of Treadingstown parish, including the chapel of Bennetsbridge and the portion of Bennetsbridge village, lying north of the Gowran road, was added from Danesfort in 1857. The present area of Tullaherin parish is about 9,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Tullaroan
It consists of the civil parish of Tullaroan ; and of the townlands of Gaulstown, Remeen, Wallstown, and about one-third of Ballycannon, in the civil parish of Ballinamara. It formed part of the parochial union of Freshford from about the time of the Reformation down to February, 1843, when it became a distinct parish. Its area is 13,600 statute acres, which, by a strange coincidence, also happens to be the area of the present parish of Freshford.


From Volume IV

Catholic Parish of Aghavillar
It includes the civil parishes of Aghavillar, Lismatigue and Stonecarty, in their entirety ; the townland of Kyle in the civil parish of Kilmoganny ; nearly one-fourth of the parish of Ennisnag ; part of the townland of Cotterell's Boolia, in the parish of Jerpoint Church ; Baysrath in the parish of Dunnamaggan ; the greater part of the parish of Kilkeasy ; and about one-fourth of the parish of Knocktopher. Previous to Sept. 1847, it formed one parish with Ballyhale. Its present area is about 13,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Ballyhale
The present parish, severed from Aghavillar in September, 1847, comprises all the civil parish of Derrynahinch ; about two-thirds of that of Knocktopher l the townlands of Carrigeen, and Floodhall, otherwise Rathtooterny, in the parish of Jerpoint Church ; and Knockmoylan, in the parish of Kilkeasy. Its area is about 13,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Dunnamaggan
This parish, separate from Windgap in 1826, is made up of the civil parishes of Dunnamaggan (except the townland of Baysrath), Ballytobin, Kilree, Kells (except the townlands of Garrynaman, Kellsborough, Kellsgrange, Killiny and Viper), and about four-fifths of Kilmoganny. Its area is about 15,752 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Glenmore
It formed one parochial union with Slieverue down to 1846, when it became a separate parish. It takes in the entire of the civil parishes of Ballygurrim, Kilcoan, Kilbride and Kilmokevoge, and more than half of the civil parish of Kilcolumb. Its area is 13,529 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Inistioge
The present parish is a union of the civil parishes of Inistioge (except the townlands of Coolroemore and Powerswood), Cloneamery, and The Rower. Its area is 22,795 ac. or. 12 p. statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Kilmacow
The present parish comprises the greater parts of the civil parishes of Kilmacow, Dunkit and Gaulskill, and the entire of the civil parish of Ullid. Previous to 1842 it formed one parochial union with Mullinavat. Its area is 10,357 ac. or. 39p., statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Mooncoin
It comprises the civil parishes of Clonmore, Pollrone, Arderra, Tubrid, Ballytarsna, Aglish and Portnascully ; most of the civil parish of Rathkieran ; the townland of Toberfauna (otherwise Cashel), in the parish of Fiddown ; and the townland of Moonaveenawn, in the parish of Muckalee. Its area is 14, 342 ac. o r. 26 p., statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Mullinavat
This parish, severed from Kilmacow in 1842, comprises the civil parishes of Kilbecan, Killahy and Rossinan, with portions of those of Rathkieran, Muckalee, Kilmacow, Dunkit and Gaulskill. Its area is 16,900 ac. o r. 33 p., statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Rosbercon
The present parish is an union of the civil parishes of Rosbercon, Shanbogh, Dysertmoon and Listerlin, and portion of the civil parish of Jerpoint West. Its area is 19,814 ac. or. 23 p.,

Catholic Parish of Slieverue
Down to 1846 this parish formed one union with Glenmore. At present it takes in the civil parishes of Rathpatirck and Kilkilliheen ; less than half the civil parish of Kilcolumb ; and the townlands of Killaspy and Ballynamona, in the civil parish of Dunkit. Its area is 9,898 ac., o r. 10 per., statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Templeorum
It comprises the ancient parishes of Fiddown (except the small townland of Toberfuana), Tybroughney, Owning, Whitechurch, and Muckalee (except the towlands of Lisdrolin and Moonaveenawn) ; and has an area of 20,460 ac. 2 r. 22 p., statute measure.

Catholic Parish of Thomastown
It embraces the civil parishes of Thomastown, Jerpoint Abbey, Columbkille, Ballylinch, Pleberstown, and Famma, together with portions of those of Jerpoint West, Jerpoint Church, Woollengrange, Kilfane, Inistioge and Knocktopher. Previous to 1847 it included, besides, almost all the present Catholic parish of Tullaherin. Its area is 19,500 statute acres.

Catholic Parish of Windgap
Wingap, made a distinct parish in 1826, when it was separated from Dunnamaggan, includes the civil parishes of Killamery and Tullahought ; less than one-third of the civil parish of Kilmoganny ; and the townland of Booliafliugh, in the civil parish of Cooliaghmore. Its area is about 12,918 statute acres.

Return to: Top of Page -- Home Page -- Catholic Parishes


Page last modified Saturday, 30-Mar-2002 14:28:14 MST
You are the 8646 visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for this web space.