County Kilkenny Ireland
Map of Historic Sites
County Kilkenny Sites:
Site Name (map reference) - description.
Aughaviller Round Tower (C3) - 30 ft. high (stump) with early church
Ballylarkin Abbey (n/a) - Built in 1350 by the Shortall Family, the abbey is small in size but contains a
wealth of splendid carvings and architectural features.
Ballyragget Castle (n/a) - With rounded turrets, wishing chair and bawn was built in 1495 by the Mountgarret family.
Baunriach Summit (C2) - 1,035 ft. high summit overlooking the River Barrow
Black Abbey (C2) - Dominican abbey in Kilkenny city, founded by
William Marshall, A.D. 1225.
Brandon Hill (D3) - 1,694 ft. high summit with view of Graigunamanagh
and St. Mullins.
Burnchurch Castle (C2) - built by Maurice fitzGerald
about A.D. 1215.
Callan Priory (B3) - Augustinian abbey founded by
the elder about 1215, and the priory later founded by James Butler in the
Carn Dubh Moat (B1) - reputed burial site of Lughaidh
Mac Con in the 2nd century.
Caves of Dunmore (C2) - beautiful formations of
stalactite and stalagmite.
Clara Castle (n/a) - 15th century square towerhouse built by the Shortal family.
Disert Castle (C3) - Norman structure with adjoining
Duiske Abbey (D3) - Cisternian abbey founded in 1215 by
Dunamaggin High Cross (B3) - 5' 4" high freestone cross.
Fertagh Priory (A1) - Augustinian priory founded by the
family in the 13th century.
Fertagh Round Tower (A1) - 100 ft high limestone tower.
Foulksrath Castle (B1) - probably built by the
Anglo-Norman Purcell family.
Freestone Hill (C2) - a hilltop fort dating to the 4th century with a
Bronze Age cairn at its center.
Freshford Church (A2) - see St. Lachtain's
Gowran Castle (D2) - originally built in 1385 by James,
3rd Earl of Ormonde. Rebuilt in 1415.
Gowran Church (D2) - founded about 1215 A.D.
Granny Castle (C4) - an early Anglo-Norman manor of the
Le Poer family.
Inistioge Priory (D3) - Augustinian priory founded by
Thomas fitzAnthony about 1215 A.D.
Jerpoint Abbey (C3) - Cisternian abbey founded in 1158
by Donnchadh Mac Giolla Phadraig, King of Ossory.
Kells Priory (C3) - Augustinian priory founded by
Geoffrey fitzRobert in 1193.
Kilfane Church (C3) - founded around 1200 A.D., the
church contains a stone effigy of a Norman Knight.
Kilferagh Church (C2) - ancient Celtic church founded
about the 11th century. St. Fiachra's well is nearby.
Kilkenny Castle (C2) - beautifully restored castle, the
ancient home of the Butlers, earls of Ormonde.
Kilkieran High Cross (B4) - two freestone Ossory high
crosses, beautifully engraved. Other crosses exist
at this site including a 10 ft. high cross.
Killamery High Cross (B3) - a 9' 3" high cross on an
Kilree High Cross (C3) - a 7 ft. high granite cross
dating back to early Christian times.
Kilree Round Tower (C3) - 98 foot high limestone tower,
with granite doorway, intact to the 6th story.
Knocktopher Abbey (C3) - Carmelite abbey found in 1356
by James Butler, earl of Ormonde.
Leac An Scailc Romleac (C3) - Bronze age burial place
including an enormous capstone resting on three huge upright stones.
Owning Church (B4) - founded in the 13th century, known
for it Gothic doorway.
Rathbeagh Moat (B1) - supposed burial place of Heremon,
son of Milesius.
Rosbercon Abbey (D4) - Dominican abbey founded by the Grace
and Walshe families about 1267 A.D.
St. Canice's Cathedral (C2) - beautiful
Hiberno-Romanesque structure founded in the early 13th century.
St. Canice's Round Tower (C2) - 100 foot high, 10th
century tower next to the cathedral.
St. Francis Abbey (C2) - Franciscan abbey founded around
1231 A.D. by Richard Marshall.
St. John's Priory (C2) - Augustinian priory built about
St. Lachtain's Church (A2) - beautiful 12th century
church with Hiberno-Romanesque porch and doorway.
St. Mary's Cathedral (C2) - A Gothic cathedral
consecrated by Dr. Walshe, Bishop of Ossory in 1857.
St. Mullin's Church (D3) - in Carlow, dates from the 7th
Sheestown Church (C2) - see Kilferagh.
Sheepstown Church (C3) - ancient Celtic church.
Suidhe Fhinn (A2) - probably a Bronze Age burial site,
once containing a great cairn.
Thomastown Church (C3) - founded by Thomas fitzAnthony
in the early 13th century.
Tory Hill (C4) - 966 ft. summit with view of Waterford
city and harbor.
Tullaherin Round Tower (C2) - 100 ft high tower
partially fallen at the top with an old Celtic church adjoining.
Tybroughney Castle (B4) - built in 1185 by Prince John
List and map compiled and contributed by Dennis Walsh
Kilkenny Past and Present
Historic Kilkenny Castles (list)
Kilkenny home page
Alphabetic Townland Index
Detail Outline of the Kilkenny web site
Page last modified Tuesday, 22-Jun-2004 19:07:08 MDT
You are the 60824 visitor.
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
this web space.