Genealogy Mailing List for County Kilkenny Ireland
Posting a Message |
Searching Archived Messages
WELCOME to the County Kilkenny
Discussion List. This is a FREE discussion area for anyone who has an interest
in Genealogy or History related to County Kilkenny, Ireland. My name is
Dennis Walsh and I'm the owner of this list. I'm
responsible for keeping it running as smoothly as possible and setting
some rules and guidelines.
- If you need help, contact the list administrator at email@example.com (do not use this address to subscribe or unsubscribe)
- You must subscribe
to the list before you can post a genealogy message.
*** see Subscription Instructions
to send subscribe or unsubscribe commands***
- Once you have subscribed you may post a genealogy
message to this list.
- This list is for the discussion of Genealogy and History, primarily
relating to County Kilkenny, Ireland. Discussion of family history and
genealogy, vital records, emigration, heraldry, county history, census
data, wills, and so on, is encouraged. Public announcements
of information of interest to Genealogists in general though it may not be
Kilkenny-specific is permitted but please use discretion.
- Do not post virus warnings, test messages, chain letters, political
announcements, current events, items for sale, personal messages, etc.
- Please do not send file attachments (messages with files appended) to the
list. If you have a file you would like to share with the members, announce
what you have to offer, then send the file only to those who request it,
via private email. There are many Kilkenny County branches and not everyone
will want the data on your line.
- No rude comments or flaming in the list! No discussion of flaming in the
- Do not impose any other rules or conditions, expressed or implied
elsewhere, upon this list. Rules of other forums may not necessarily apply
here. Do not try to regulate this list. If you do not like the way someone
formats their queries or responses, or the content of their subject titles,
take it up with the listowner, NOT in the list. The list is for Genealogy
- Small gedcom files are discouraged but not banned from the list (send in
a message, NOT as a file attachment) as long as the resulting message is no
larger than 20000 bytes maximum.
- Try to keep quoting to a minimum. "Quoting" is repeating text of the
message you are replying to. Some quoting is necessary to remind other
readers what the thread is about but do try to use good judgement. Quoting
the previous writer's signature block or surname list is totally unnecessary.
- Surname lists are okay but please try to limit them to say, half a dozen
names. Any more than that and many people just won't read them. Try keeping
several small lists and rotate them with each succeeding message.
- Subscription commands (not genealogy messages) are e-mailed to either
KILKENNY-L-REQUEST@rootsweb.com (List mode)
-or to -
KILKENNY-D-REQUEST@rootsweb.com (Digest mode)
In the BODY of the email message, type either the command:
- subscribe       (and absolutely nothing else but the word subscribe)
- unsubscribe     (and absolutely nothing else but the word unsubscribe)
You can use CAPS or lowercase, it doesn't matter. No subject line is
needed. Also turn off your
signature line if you normally append one to your outgoing e-mails.
IMPORTANT: To unsubscribe, remember which of the two modes you
originally subscribed to. Send the UNSUBSCRIBE command to the address
(above) you originally subscribed to. If you change your e-mail address,
don't forget to unsubscribe your old e-mail address!
is "list mode" - you receive messages as they are posted to the list.
This is also known as "mail mode".
is "digest mode" - you receive messages as a group on a periodic basis.
Again, ONLY subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to the
Important Note on Posting Messages: The KILKENNY-L mailing list at RootsWeb accepts
only plain text mail. That means that HTML mail, attachments, ``enriched
text'', and a few other formats can't be sent to RootsWeb mailing lists.
You can post your message if you send it in plain text; turn off the
``Post in HTML'' or ``Enriched Text'' features of your mail reader, or
don't use any attachments. See
for instructions on turning off HTML in most of the popular mail
programs, or ask your ISP's technical support line for help.
- You must subscribe to the list before your
genealogy message can be posted.
- To post a genealogy message or reply to the list, send
Hint: Be specific and include names, dates, places and family in your message.
It helps to put a short topic of your posting in the "subject line".
REMEMBER - Do NOT post subscribe or unsubscribe commands here!
See Subscription Instructions for this.
- When replying to a message posted through the KILKENNY-L, please send your reply back through the list, not just to the original
poster (which is the default). Other members may benefit from the data that
- Accuracy is important and sources are vital. Ancestor lists are worthless
if the information is wrong, or if you do not provide timeframes and placenames.
- All information need not be accompanied by source citations, but I do
recommend strongly that posts either include sources or a note stating that
they are available on request.
- If information is speculation then label it as such until it is proven or
commonly accepted as fact.
- When posting your query try to give as much information as you know, i.e.
dates and places of all vital events if known, along with enough other
family members so that the reader can positively identify if they are
researching the same family. "Anyone out there researching Kellys?" just
doesn't cut it.
- When replying to the list (this also can apply to private replies) try to
quote some portions of the previous message so that other readers are
reminded what the "thread" is about. Make it clear what is quoted material
and what you are adding. Most mail readers take care of this for you by
inserting greater-than signs ">" at the beginning of each quoted line or
possibly double brackets "<<" before and ">>" after the quoted piece. Use
standard Windows procedures to "cut" unnecessary material.
- Post your query frequently, perhaps once every few months, if you have not yet
found your ancestor. New people are joining the list all the time and they
may have the info you need.
Searching Archived Messages
You can now search the KILKENNY-L mailing list archive at
Interactive Search. Simply type KILKENNY as the name of the list, and
you will be taken to a search screen which allows you to search for
specific text within the messages posted to the KILKENNY-L mailing list.
Find more Mailing Lists
A Special Thanks to Rootsweb for
Hosting this Mailing List.
Contact the KILKENNY mailing list administrator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing list established: July 18, 1998
Page last modified Saturday, 13-Mar-2010 10:19:46 MST
You are the 21345 visitor.