GRANGEMORE BURIAL GROUND


According to Wood-Martin's "History of Sligo," a 1609 map showed acastle in Grangemore townland, Templeboy parish, belonging to O'Colman,a name that has long since disappeared from the area. Since Grangemorecemetery adjoins the ruins of this castle, it must date from the previous century.
Someone, perhaps the current Templeboy church on the main road, haserected a guide to tombstones at the entrance of the old burial ground.The following are the discernable surnames, and the number followingeach is the number of tombstones on which each name can be read. Theguide also shows where the tombstone is located.


Burns ghost is in the reflection....
      • Burne - 2
      • Burn - 1
      • Burns - 1
      • Cosgrove - 1
      • Cavanagh - 2
      • Cogans - 1
      • Coggans - 1
      • Doherty - 2
      • Farry - 2
      • Feeny - 1
      • Finan - 1
      • Finnegan - 2
      • Flanely - 1
      • Flately - 1
      • Flynn - 3
      • Gilgan - 1
      • Gilmore - 1
      • Golden - 1
      • Healy - 4
      • Hillas - 1
      • Keavney - 2
      • Kennedy - 5
      • Kerrigan - 1
      • Killcullen - 1
      • Looby - 1
      • Lynott - 1
      • MacDermott - 1
      • Maye - 1
      • McCoan - 1
      • McCourty - 1
      • McDermott - 4
      • McDonald - 1
      • McDonnell - 2
      • McGovern - 2
      • McGowan - 1
      • McGuire - 2
      • McHale - 1
      • Meehan - 1
      • Melvin - 1
      • Milton - 2
      • Mitchell - 1
      • Moffatt - 1
      • O'Reilly - 1
      • O'Toole - 1
      • Redican - 1
      • Rushe - 1
      • Sexton - 5
      • Shannon - 1
      • Tempany - 1
      • Whyte - 3

Contributor: Paul Burns

Disclaimer:there may be errors due to transcription ofinformation from both early and late (current contributors) work.