A Timeline of Schooling
in County Sligo 1700 - 1900

Some schools in County Sligo, from the year 1700 to 1900.
This is not a complete list and is only intended as a guide to the period.
In many cases individual schools predate the first record of their existence.
The aim is to provide names of people associated with education in County Sligo in this period.



    EIGHTEENTH CENTURY:


    'Hedge Schools' - these schools first appeared towards the end of the seventeenth century when wandering scholars found it necessary to hide themselves in remote places away from official view. Only in exceptional cases have the names of those associated with this illegal activity survived. In the townland of Townaloughta for instance the teachers included Isaac McMAHON, Patrick CONNOR and Thomas DEVANEY.

  • 1700 - Charity School. Early in the eighteenth century there was a charity school in the town of Sligo. Alderman DRAPER, in his will, dated 1719, bequeathed "to the charity Black-boys of the town of Sligo, the sum of fifty pounds sterling - which is now in the hands of Thomas JENNINGS...for the direct support of said charity school". Charity Schools were instituted in London to prevent the seduction of the infant poor into Roman Catholic seminaries, 1687/8. The first Charity School appears to have been established in Westminster in 1688. Soon after Queen Anne founded Greycoat School, Westminster in 1698. By 1741 nearly 2000 of these schools were established in Great Britain and Ireland. In Sligo there was a school for boys, and another for girls supported by subscription.

  • 1712 - Charity school established in Collooney by the Society for the Promoting Christian Knowledge. Catered for poorer Protestants.

  • 1713 - Charity school established in Achonry by the Society for the Promoting Christian Knowledge. Catered for poorer Protestants.

  • 1721 - "In the eighteenth century... there were but three or four schools suited for the better class of farmer and shopkeeper. Primrose-Grange Boarding School originated in 1721, in a grant from Rev. Edward NICHOLSON."

  • 1731 - Six 'popish' schools in the diocese of Killala and Achonry.

  • 1731 - 'Report on the State of Popery' states that many Papists keep tutors in their houses, who privately teach not only the youth of the family, but others of the neighbourhood.

  • 1731 - One Catholic Latin School of Philosophy in Sligo run by Thady O'HARA.

  • 1739 - Latin school in Sligo run by the Established Church. Attended by both Protestants and Catholics. Cost £8 to board and feed in 1741.

  • 1752 - Charter School commenced in Sligo for 80 pupils. Colonel WYNN gave four acres and a grant was received from the Erasmus SMITH schools.

  • 1755 - Charter School. Sligo town. The name is from the George II charter of 1734 which established the Incorporated Society for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland.
    Built on four acres of land donated by Colonel WYNNE of Hazelwood. It was three stories high, spacious, well built and situated within a quarter of a mile of the town (Parliamentary Committee 1788 in O’Rorke 1889, vol.2: 268).
    The school enrolled children of all denominations and contained on the 26th July, 1787: “twenty-five boys and seventeen girls, all barefooted, for the most part ragged and illiterate. There were eleven beds in the room in which the boys slept, which were all filthy, and had but three tickens, and very few bolsters. The sheets in general were very foul. The girls' sleeping room was equally filthy, and had no tickens, and but two bolsters on eight beds” (Steven 1818: 103; Parliamentary Committee 1788 in O’Rorke 1889, vol.2: 268).
    In the early period the teacher was Mr. M. HART and his indentured apprentices were William KAVANAGH, James HENLEY and William CONNELL, all 19 years of age. Also indenture was 14 year old Mary MacKENZIE.
    The number to be admitted at any one time was limited to 80. The charter school was “regularly conducted for sixty children and its number almost complete” (McPartlan 1802: 77). The old Charter School or Erasmus Smith Trust supplied a plain education, i.e., reading, writing, and arithmetic, and instruction in the Protestant faith. The boys were boarded in the house and taught trades. Considerable violence was used against the children including beatings, followed by throttling, and although “they were barred in with so very high walls” many of the children eloped (John CONNOLLY'S evidence in Stationery Office 1825: 154).
    In rows of houses tradesmen were kept to instruct in tailoring, shoemaking, etc., but this arrangement was given up on the passing of a measure for the establishment of national education. The Charter School was discontinued in 1833. It was replaced by a day school.
    It was finally closed in 1843 and the school became the property of Mr. WYNNE who had originally donated the site.
    The school reopened in 1852 and finally became a private institution (Irish Times 29 November 1907).
    The building became known as the Diocesan School. The Head Master was William Christopher EADES, Esq., and he was there 1862 -80. His assistant was E. ROUNDS and the Modern Language teacher was Mons. de LANDRY. This school is listed as Eades School and in an inquiry it was agreed that it was his private school.
    The property was purchased by the Incorporated Society in 1906 and a new school was founded - the Sligo Grammar School (Irish Times 29 November 1907).
    The building is now part of the Grammar School.

  • 1759 - Synod of Bunninadden recommended that candidates for the priesthood should teach catechism to children.

  • 1760 - Private benefactors in the cause of education were: William DRAPER, Adam ORMSBY, Mr. NICHOLSON, Rev. VALENTINE. Witnessed mentioned are: Rev. Samuel SHONE, Rev. GULLY.

  • 1773 - A second row of galleries erected in the parish church of St. John's to accommodate Charter-school children.

  • 1779-1780 - Survey shows that less than one third of children 'fit for school' were receiving any education.

  • 1780 - School in Ardnaree kept by Rev. James NELIGAN. School in Sligo town kept by Rev. J. ARMSTRONG. Schools kept by Mr. CLIFFORD and Mr. CLARK, also one for young ladies by Mrs. HUSTON.

  • 1781 - An Act was passed in 1781 to allow persons professing the Popish religion to teach school.
  • 1781 - Erasmus SMITH, a Protestant, endowed land in Sligo for schooling.

  • 1790 - Sligo Boarding and Day School. Established circa 1790 and conducted by John FITZGERALD in 1838.



    NINETEENTH CENTURY:


    Hedge Schools - Lord Palmerston wrote of his tenants in County Sligo "The thirst for education is so great that there are now three or four schools upon the estate. The people join in in engaging some itinerant master; they run him up a miserable mud hut on the road side, and the boys pay him half-a-crown or some five shillings a quarter. They are taught reading, writing and arithmetic, and what, from the appearance of the establishment, no one would imagine, Latin and even Greek."
    Hedge schoolmasters taught each pupil individually apparently in pursuance of a bargain made with his family. The more advanced pupils being called on to give assistance to the master.


    Classical Schools - The Protestant masters of classical schools in Sligo in the 19th century: Rev. James ARMSTRONG, Rev. W.C. ARMSTRONG, Parson O'CONNOR, Mr. ELLIOTT, Mr. Maurice QUILL.
    The Catholic teachers in the same period were: Rev. James FILAN, Mr. SUPPLE, Mr. McELROY, Mr. DUKE, Mr. Charles O'CONNOR, and Mr. Pat McNIFF. In the female schools: Misses McCANN, Miss HART, Mrs. Doctor COYNE, Mrs. McDERMOT, Miss MADDEN. These schools folded after a short while.

  • 1800s - Kilrusheighter School. Education in the area was associated with the work of Tadhg CONNELLAN

  • 1806 - Mr. ALBERT BLEST, of Coolaney, established about 100 schools in Sligo for the London Hibernian Society (est. 1806). James NELIGAN, vicar of Kilmactigue (1802-35) was also active in promoting the LHS.

  • 1807 - Maynooth graduate James FILAN set up a boarding and day school for boys. Curriculum included Latin, Greek, French and English as well as history, geography, mathematics and book-keeping. Dancing was optional.

  • 1811 - Dunowla School. Church of Ireland. Maintained by the Church Education Society. Site donated by the BRETT family. Teachers: John LOUGHEED, and Wallace HUNTER (1895-1936).

  • 1814 - William MOORE, Ballinacarrow, was employed by the Baptist Society as inspector of schools and Irish scripture reader. MOORE and his wife (nee BACON) raised thirteen children.

  • 1814 - A Sligo female school was founded for the gratuitous education of the poor. Up to 700 girls.

  • 1815 - Tourlestrane. Two schools sponsored by the London Hibernian Society and one by the Association for Discountenancing Vice.
  • 1815 - Kilmactigue. Two schools established by James NELIGAN for the London Hibernian Society.

  • 1816 - Tubbercurry. School funded by the Baptist Society.

  • 1819 - The Association for Discountenancing Vice and Promoting the Knowledge and Practice of the Christian Religion (APCK) had one school in Kilmactigue.

  • 1820 - Kilmactranny No. 2 School. Church of Ireland. Teachers: Margaret McMASTER and Nobel PAGET.
  • 1820 - Knockanarrow School. Built by Hedge Schoolmaster Michael BRENNAN. He was the teacher from 1820-1846. Other teachers: Paddy KERR, Miss SHANNON, Miss BARBER, James INGRAM and Mrs. HAMILTON.

  • 1821 - 8,865 children attending school.

  • 1824 - Miss HUME'S. High Street. Lord Lieutenant's school (female).
  • 1824 - The Kildare Place Society had twenty schools in Sligo.
  • 1824 - Rev. JAMES. Gentlemen’s boarding school. Note this could be in Church St.
  • 1824 - The Baptist Society for Promoting the Gospel in Ireland by Establishing Schools for Teaching the Native Irish had schools in Tubbercurry, Ballysodare, etc.
  • 1824 - Academies & Schools in Sligo town (Pigot & Co.'s Directory).
    - CHRISTIAN Mrs. (ladies boarding) Knoxes St.
    - ELLIOT Rev James (gentlemen's boarding) Church Hill.
    - HINES Josh. Charter School, Hazelwood Rd.
    - HUSTON Mrs. & Miss (ladies boarding) Stephen St.
    - MacCANN Mrs & Misses (ladies boarding) Knoxes St.
    - SUPPLE Mrs (ladies boarding) Knoxes St.
  • 1824 - Ballymote chapel-school. Pat O'GARA was paid by the priest to teach the catechism

  • 1826 - Culfadda. Two Hedge Schools. Francis KENNY's in Longwood chapel and Manus McHUGHE's in Dromineel. Teachers who taught in Hedge Schools in the area were John NANGLE and Francis KELLY. List of Boys', 1886 and Girls', 1891 published in Brehony et al. (2001).
  • 1826 - Ballinacarrow (A) established at the end of the eighteenth century in a small chapel and then in the house of Catherine GALLAGHER. Teachers Henry DWYER Snr., succeeded by his son Henry Jnr.
  • 1826 - The Kildare Place Society (instituted in 1811) had 36 schools in county Sligo. School name - Teacher - Patron - Number of Scholars
    - Ardagh - Thomas FINAN - James LOYD, Esq. - 52
    - Ardnabrack - Ed. KEATING - Nic. O. FURY, Esq. - 75
    - Ballinful - James McKEON - Rev. Charles DUNNE - 67
    - Ballymote, Female - Anne HAWKSBY and Jane ELLIS - Rev. John GARRETT - 90
    - Ballymote, Male - Jackson HAWKSBY - Rev. John GARRETT - 74
    - Ballysadare - Teacher not named - Rev. Wm. HANDCOCK 66
    - Branchfield - Teacher not named - Robert DUKE, Esq. - 143
    - Breafy - Teacher not named - Rev. J.P. LYONS - 129
    - Calry, Female - Catherine BLAIR - Mrs. IRWIN - 107
    - Carha - Teacher not named - Meredith THOMPSON, Esq. - 58
    - Carney - James McNEICE - Patron not named - 88
    - Carrowmacarrick - Teacher not named - Rev. John STACK - 116
    - Cliffony - Teacher not named - Lord PALMERSTON and G.C. SWAN, Esq. - 350
    - Corronia - Teacher not named - Rev. J.P. LYONS - 40
    - Easky - Thomas BARRY - Rev. George TRUELOCK - 115
    - Gortlaunan - Ferral O'RORKE - And. JOHNSTON, Esq. - 180
    - Gurteen - Michael CLARKE - W.T. SHERLOCK, Esq. - 131
    - Killerry - William BANKS - Rev. Mich. BOLAND - 48
    - Killinduff - James TAAFFE - Colonel IRWIN - 103
    - Kilmactige - William EVANS - Rev. James NELLIGAN - 60
    - Kilmactranny - Teacher not named - Mrs. SHAW - 22
    - Kilmore Moy - Noble PAGET - Rev. J.P. LYONS - 172
    - Knockadoo - Teacher not named - Robt. ELWOOD - 60
    - Mount Temple - Teacher not named - Lord PALMERSTON and Mrs. SODEN - 20
    - Seafort - Teacher not named - Mrs. WOOD - 50
    - Seaview - Thomas HILLAS, Esq. - 180
    - Sligo Prison, Female - Mary McMULLEN - Rev. Wm. ARMSTRONG - 9
    - Sligo Prison, Male - George SHERMAN - Rev. Wm. ARMSTRONG - 73
    - Sligo, Female - Margaret CHRISTIAN - Rev. Chas. HAMILTON - 114
    - Sligo, Male - W.P. BLAIR - Rev. Chas. HAMILTON - 98
    - St. John's - Humphry GILMOR - Patron not named - 78
    - Templehouse - Ellen WATERSTONE - Mrs. PERCIVAL - 67
    - Templevanny - Teacher not named - Earl of KINGSTON and Rev. FITZMAURICE - 95
    - Thirlebeg - Teacher not named - Abraham MARTIN, Esq. - not given
    - Thornhill - Margaret BEIRNE - Rev. John STACK - 52
    - Tubberscanavin - Bart. BRENNAN - Rev. Wm. HANDCOCK - 86
    - Rev. Alexander McEWEN, Inspector of schools.
  • 1826 - Drumcliff Church of Ireland school. Teachers: John JACKSON of Drum, William MAXWELL of Cooladrummin, Jane McKIM of Ballinfull, Thomas GIBSON of Tully Hill and William BURCHART (a dissenter) of Kilsellagh.

  • 1826/27 - Schools in Castleconnor. Almost all are Hedge Schools:
    - Ballymoneen - Master -Martin BURNETT, R.C.
    - Bunnanurlra - Master - David FOODY, R.C.
    - Carraun - Master - Bartholemew MORRIS, R.C.
    - Gates Town - Master -Richard JORDAN, R.C.
    - Knockbrendan - Master - WALTON, Church of Ireland.
    - Knockroe - Master - Thomas BOURKE, R.C.
    - Toormore- Master - Peter GALLAGHER
  • 1826/27 - Schools in Ardagh, Tully, Knockbreenagher and Mullaghmore (Commission of Irish Education Enquiry 1826-27).
  • 1826/27 - Breeogue school. Teacher: Brian O'NEILL.
  • 1826/27 - Cullen Crin school. Site provided by Mrs. CHAMBERS of Cloverhill House.
  • 1826/27 - Drinaghan school. Located on the gallery of Wrensborough (Tansborough) Church. TeacherS: William CULLEN, John GIBLIN, and William KILCULLEN.

  • 1828 - Sligo School (Sligo Journal 1 January 1828).
  • 1828 - Calry School (Female). Received grants of cheap books to form lending libraries. J. H. J. POWELL was the applicant.
  • 1828 - County Gaol. 1 Gethins St., or Gaol Road. Built in 1818 and in 1828 consisted of 8 yards, 52 cells, 12 debtors apartments, 18 day and work rooms, with an infirmary and chapel. A male school was established and a marshalsea was under construction (Parliamentary Papers 1828: 49). A schoolmaster was engaged for the men, and a mistress for the women, who were taught to read and sew.

  • 1829 - Gurteen. Kinlough Parish. Sir Rober GORE BOOTH. Church of Ireland School.
  • 1829 - Kilmor School.

  • 1830s - Ballisodare (No. 2) N.S. Supported by the COOPER family in Knockmuldowney. Became a Church of Ireland school.
  • 1830s - Grange Ormsby N.S. Teacher: Ferrell CONLON.
  • 1830 - Killaspugbrone school. Supported by the Elphin Diocesan Society.
  • 1830 - Killaspugbrone school. A second school thought to be one of the Erasmus SMITH's.
  • 1830s - Killavil N.S. A second site was got from John ANDERSON (1898). Contractor Pat O'DOWD. Stone from Michael SACNLON'S quarry. Teachers: Mr. ANDERSON (1830- ), John LAVIN (1899-1905), Patrick BENSON (1899-1901). Pupils included Michael COLEMAN the musician.
  • 1830s - Levally School.

  • 1831 - The Education Act of 1831 established the National School system. Grants previously paid to the sectarian Kildare Place Society was transferred to the Commissioners of National Education. This was a representative body of the three main religious denominations. Lord Stanley's Education Act as it was known was followed by a great demand for education. The illegal "Hedge School System" faded from history.
  • 1831 - Drum N.S. Built by Owen WYNNE. Trustees: Rev. John YEATES and Mr. H. SLADE. School mentioned in W.B. YEATS' Reveries Over Childhood and Youth (1914).
  • 1831 - Lugnadeffa. Est., by the London Hibernian Society and funded by the Church Education Society. Became a Church of Ireland School.
  • 1831 - Rockfield N.S. Teacher: Matthew DOYLE (1850-1891)
  • 1831 - Other names associated with schools in Castleconnor: NICHOLSON; Thomas BURKE; Thady FOODY; Bartholomew O’KEAN.

  • 1832 - Little Bridge school, Emlaghnaughton. Manager: Fr. Bernard O'KANE. Aided by the proprietor until 1834 when it was aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 74 males and 36 females. Teachers: John MAY followed by John ROGERS (1835) who was succeeded by Thomas HENRY. In 1866 Catherine HENRY was appointed assistant teacher.
  • 1832 - At Sligo School public examinations were held in August in Greek, Latin, Logic, Euclid, History, Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. The following pupils obtained the number of premiums assigned: M’LOUGHREE, 7.

  • 1833 - Charter School discontinued.
  • 1833 - Geevagh N.S. Teacher: Thomas CLARKE from Galway.
  • 1833 - Carrowntubber N.S. Tubbercurry. Application for a school grant signed by: Henry BRETT, Thomas WEST, James CLARKE (Protestants), and Rev. James McHUGH, Henry BRETT, John BRETT, Henry O;NEILL, Thomas TIGHE, Michael FLANNELLY, Patrick HIGGINS, Peter FOYE, Jno. WALKER, James R. barry, John BURKE, Charles BEATTY, Thomas COOKE, and John BRETT (Roman Catholics).

  • 1834 - Day School (George HARVEY). Erasmus Smith and pay school established in 1834. English education and mathematics. Average attendance 46 all male.
  • 1834 - The Sligo School, Church Hill, Sligo reported the achievements of its pupils: M’LOUGHRY in Ovid, Virgil, Orthography, Greek sentences, Latin grammar, Latin composition, Geography, English grammar, Writing, Arithmetic.
  • 1834 - Carrowmore N.S. Teacher: Mr. DALTON (1834). In 1994 it was renovated and restored in the original fashion and is used as a School Museum.
  • 1834 - Innishmurray (A) N.S. Teacher: Mr. O'BRIEN a Protestant. He was boycotted and left the island. School became the home of Mr. HERAUGHTY.
  • 1834 - Valentine N.S. Built with funds from Rev. VALENTINE (see 1760 above). Teachers: Henry GAMBLE (1834) and Mr MINCHIN ( -1900).
  • 1834 - Sligo Male. O. FEENEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 92 males.
  • 1834 - Sligo Female. O. FEENEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 124 females.
  • 1834 - Banada Male. D. MULLARKEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 158 males.
  • 1834 - Banada Female. D. MULLARKEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 73 females.
  • 1834 - Carrowmore. James GALLAGHER (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 81 males andd 76 females.
  • 1834 - Kilmactiegue. D. MULLARKEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 83 males and 35 females.
  • 1834 - Largy. D. MULLARKEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 52 males and 43 females.
  • 1834 - Camp Hill male. P. DURCAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 81 males and 34 + 78 females.
  • 1834 - Lisceneena male. P. DURCAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 106 males.
  • 1834 - Lisceena female. P. DURCAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 25 + 64 females.
  • 1834 - Gurtelough male. F. EGAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 73 males.
  • 1834 - Gurtelough female. F. EGAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 80 females.
  • 1834 - Clooneenmore. P.C. HOWLEY (RC lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Kilmorgan. P. DURCAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School previously held in the chapel. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Ballymote. P. DURCAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School built by the landlord. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Carrowville. James GALLAGHER (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School was originally a dwelling house. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Knockahoney. D. JONES (RC lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Grangebeg. William GREER (Protestant, lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Ballina female. Mary McHUGH (RC lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Previously the school was aided by the Kildare-place Society. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Cunembla. B. COSTELLO (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School previously aided by the Kildare-place Society. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Ardnavee. B. COSTELLO (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School previously aided by the Kildare-place Society. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Bloomfield. Abraham MARTYN (Protestant, lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. School built by Mr. MARTIN. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Grange. John McHUGH (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Carrowntubber. John McHUGH (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Cloomnacool. John McHUGH (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: not given.
  • 1834 - Rathcormick. M O'CALLAGHAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Previously aided by subscription. Children: 64 males and 37 females.
  • 1834 - Killavill. John CORLEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education.Previously the teacher's house. Children: 114 males and 58 females.
  • 1834 - Grayforth male. M.D. MANNING (RC lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education.Children: 96 male.
  • 1834 - Grayforth female. M.D. MANNING (RC lay). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education.Children: 46 female.
  • 1834 - Gavagh male. M. SPELMAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education.Children: 55 male.
  • 1834 - Gavagh female. M. SPELMAN (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education.Children: 28 female.
  • 1834 - Templevanny. James O'HARA (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Previously aided by the Kildare-place Society. Children: 79 males and 46 females.
  • 1834 - Ballymote. B. O'KANE (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Built by the landlord. Children: 39 males and 30 females.
  • 1834 - Kilmorgan. B. O'KANE (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Built by the landlord. Children: 80 males and 34 females.
  • 1834 - Monasterden male. D. TIGHE (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 138 male. School house not finished.
  • 1834 - Monasterden female. D. TIGHE (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Children: 111 female. School house not finished.
  • 1834 - Knocknamarrow. T. SWEENEY (RC cleric). Acting manager or correspondent. Aided by the National Board of Education. Built by the teacher. Children: 86 males and 44 females.

  • 1835 - Hazelwood Sunday School. Protestant religious instruction.
  • 1835 - Ballynode Sunday School. St. John's parish. Protestant religious instruction. Average attendance 13.
  • 1835 - Day School (J. HOLMES). Pay school. Reading, writing, arithmetic, and scriptural instruction. Average attendance 32.
  • 1835 - Day School (J. MONAGHAN). Pay school. Reading, writing, arithmetic, and mathematics. Average attendance 60.
  • 1835 - Day School (Mrs. WHITE). London Hibernian Society system of education and funded by them and the London Ladies’ Society. Average attendance 60.
  • 1835 - Rathlee N.S.

  • 1836 - Orphan Asylum School.
  • 1836 - Kiloglashy Hedge School.
  • 1836 - Carrowkeel N.S. Built with the Erasmus SMITH fund. Site donated by the IRWIN family of Tenrego.
  • 1836 - Lisduff N.S. Maintained by the LHS. A Hedge School was run in this area by Mr. John SHORT.

  • 1837 - Francis SORDS. Castle Street. Schoolmaster premises.
  • 1837 - William H. CHRISTY'S. The Mall. Teacher premises.
  • 1837 - Gore Street School. Classical and English.
  • 1837 - Mark McGARRY's School. Abbey Street.
  • 1837 - School House. Near Millbrook House, the flour mill, and Ballinvoher school.
  • 1837 - Ballinorley N.S. Church of Ireland. Teachers: Lizzie GILCREEST (1876-1878), Abigail RYAN (1878-1880), Mrs. Ann DUNCAN (1880-1881), Charlotte TIGHE (1881-1882), Lily DOYLE (1882).
  • 1837 - Lisaneena N.S.
  • 1837 - Mullaghmore N.S. Manager Rev. Canon DOORLY (1895). A second school of unknown date catered for the children of the coastguard until 1913. Teacher: Miss NOBLE.
  • 1837 - Owenbeg N.S. Teachers: Pat CARDEN (1875-1900) and Miss. CARDEN (1884)

  • 1839 - Clooneenmore N.S.
  • 1839 - Patrick McELROY'S School. 64-65 The Mall. Boys day school.
  • 1839 - Charles CLANCY'S School. Pay school.
  • 1839 - Day School. 34 The Mall. English and Mathematics. Under the control of the Incorporated Society, Dublin.
  • 1839 - READ'S School, the Misses. Linenhall Street (JFK Parade). Ladies boarding and day school.
  • 1839 - Mr DUKE'S School. Chapel Lane. Classical school.
  • 1839 - National School. 22 Chapel Lane. Under the National Board of Education with a Female school attached.
  • 1839 - Infant's School. 5 Charles Street. Infant schools, serving children up to the age of seven, began in New Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1815.

  • 1840s - Carran Hill. Hedge School. Replaced by Gleann-Killamey N.S. 1851.
  • 1840 - Cloonlough (Cloonloo) N.S. Teachers: John SCANLON (1840), Patrick COSGROVE (1865-1887), his wife Bridget COSGROVE (1880-1887) and their daughter Mary COSGROVE (1887- ), Mary FARRELLY (1888). Pupils included Sir Patrick HANNON M.P. (1874-1963).
  • 1840 - Newtown school, Ballymote. Moved to the old RC church (Loftus Hall) in 1864.

  • 1841 - Ballintogher (A) N.S.
  • 1841- Gleann-Killamey N.S. Upper Arigna. Teacher: Owen BRUEN.
  • 1841 - Scurmore N.S. Teachers: Mr. COULTER (1868- ) and Edward SIMPSON. Erected by Colonel STRATFORD and maintained by Patrick WINGFIELD STAFFORD. Pupils included Rev. James GREER author of "Winding of the Moy."

  • 1841 - 7,959 children attending school.

  • 1843 - Larass N.S. Strandhill. Teachers: Laurence BALLINTINE followed by Kate SWEENEY (1872-1884), and Kate GALLAGHER (nee COGAN) (1896-1926). Manager: Rev. Felix CONNOLLY. District Inspector: D. ROWNTREE.

  • 1844 - Killeenduff No. 2. N.S. St. Anne's Church of Ireland School. An Erasmus SMITH school.

  • 1845 - Corballa N.S. Teacher: Pat HOWLEY (1845), John TIMLIN and Margaret GORDON. Manager: Rev. P. DUFFY.
  • 1845 - Deenodes N.S. Built by the teacher Richard McCAULEY with assistance from Fr. Paul HENRY. McCAULEY resigned and was replaced by Mr. T. HEALY. Closed 1847.
  • 1845 - Stockane (A) N.S. Enniscrone. The teacher John MAYE owned the building. Teacher: Michael ROUSE (1845).

  • 1846 - Prior to 1846 Mr. SHEPPERD had started a school that was transformed during the famine, into a ragged school. Later it reverted to its original use, but was closed when the Model School was established.
  • 1846 - The Sisters of Mercy first settled in Sligo June 30th. The sisters opened a public school on September 24th, 1849 with 100 pupils. By 1890 they had 600 girls and 200 boys.

  • 1846 - Ballydrehid school.
  • 1846 - Benbulben N.S. Church of Ireland school. Teachers: Edward CEILLIER and Catherine HIGGINS.
  • 1846 - Cloverhill school.
  • 1846 - Kilmacowen N.S. Teachers: Thomas BRENNAN (1846), Patrick CONWAY -1871), Patrick KILFEATHER (1894-1936), and Miss TAHANY (1894).
  • 1846 - Mercy Convent. Chapel Lane. The Order of Mercy in France was established with the object of accomplishing the redemption of Christian captives by John de Matha in 1198. The House of Mercy, Baggot St., Dublin and Poor School opened to serve the poor in 1827 by Catherine McAuley.
    The Sisters of Mercy (St. Patrick's) first settled in Sligo June 30th, 1846 in a small private residence in George's St. (now Lord Edward St.), pending the erection of their convent. They were engaged visiting and caring for the sick and distributing alms to the hunger stricken sufferers of the years 1846-1847. In addition they training orphan girls for domestic service. Later the Sisters were invited to attend upon the sufferers in the fever and cholera hospitals. When their new Convent was completed the sisters opened public schools on September 24th, 1849. One wing of the new building was devoted to a Training School for teachers, an orphanage, and a class in training for domestic service.
    An Industrial School was opened in 1871 in the then closing 'Chapel of Sligo' and grounds (see under 1871).
    A chapel was added in 1876 to the west end of the Convent building. In 1880 the Sisters removed the extern schools to more spacious premises on the opposite side of the road. In the same year they built a bakery for the purpose of training their intern pupils and servants. A sewing school for extern girls was also established.
    A large new public laundry was built in 1888 on the Convent premises.
    Large new schools were erected in 1888 and in 1890 the charge of the Albert Road Male Infant School was handed over to the Sisters. Over 800 pupils attended the extern schools, and 200 interns of all classes were under the care of the Sisters.

  • 1847 - Highwood N.S. Teacher: Mr. KEANEY.
  • 1847 - Tubbercurry Girls' N.S. Teachers: Dan DEVINE, succeeded by Mrs. TANSEY and assistant Miss. CONNOLLY and Miss McCoy.

  • 1848 - Charterhouse. Part of the Charter School.
    The building was used as an auxiliary workhouse during the Famine (Wood-Martin 1892: 137) as an extension of the Fever Hospital (O'Rorke 1889, vol.1: 250) and used as an orphanage for 350 children under the age of twelve after the Famine. "The Charter House ... occupied by the orphan children...[has] a large shed attached to the premises ... [and] will make excellent school rooms, and a dining hall...There are two fields at the rear of the house ... and the boys will be taught gardening and field operations" (Parliamentary Papers, 1848: 491).
    The Militia used the building as a barrack for the Sligo Regiment, Light Infantry, in 1856: "The 2nd battalion of the 60th Rifles at present are on the march from Athlone. In addition to the ordinary barrack accommodation the Charter House and Linen Hall have been fitted up for their accommodation. There are, we are informed, upwards of 500 men and seven officers" (Sligo Independent 26 December 1855).

  • 1849 - Pickpocket training school (alledged). Sligo town.
  • 1849 - Inniscrone Boys N.S. Established by Fr. Edward LAVELLE. Originally in a house rented from Matthew NEARY with teacher Patrick CAWLEY. Teachers: Mr. J. BEGLANE (1870), and Mr. T. LEONARD (1880).
  • 1849 - St. James' Well N.S. Geevagh. Teachers: Owen BRUEN (1849-1893), and Mr. GILDEA (1893-1936).

  • 1850 - St. Anne's Day School. A pay school run by the Ursulines.
    Opened in 1850 in the parlour of the Bishop's house while "Seaville" house was being renovated. Located in Marino House in 1871 for a couple of years. Finally established inside the entrance gate to the Ursuline Convent. It closed in 1966 and the pupils transferred to Scoil Ursula.
  • 1850 - Ursuline Convent of St. Joseph. Convent and secondary school for girls.
    From the Company of St. Ursula (a martyr in the early Church and the named Patroness of Universities) founded by St. Angela Merici (1470-1540) born near Lake Garda, Italy in 1535.
    The Ursulines came to Ireland from France in 1771. They arrived in Sligo in 1850 where a day school was opened in the parlour of the Bishop's house while the original House “Seaville” was being renovated. Built in 1850 and extended in 1852 and extended again in 1878. It ccomprised dormitories, study, classrooms, library, chapel, grounds and a graveyard.
    "We have to congratulate the people of Sligo upon the completion of the Ursuline Convent. It is indeed a great ornament to the town..." (Sligo Champion 19 August 1850). In 1932 a recreationhall block, childrens' chapels, refectory and music room were added. At the main gate was built St. Anne's Day School, a pay school (primary level).
  • 1850 - Castlerock N.S.
  • 1850 - Crossboy N.S. Land donated by Mr. GRIFFITHS.
  • 1850s - Drimina N.S.
  • 1850 - Nazareth N.S. Run by the Ursuline Order for poor children (not to be confused with the later St. Joseph's N.S. run by the Nazareth Order).
  • 1850s - Ross N.S. Riverstown. Teachers: John DOWNES (1865-1884), Mary HUGHES 1881-1883), Ellen MORAN (1883-1884)
  • 1850 - The Ursuline Convent of St. Joseph was built with a school for the poorer classes, a day-school for children of the town and a boarding-school for those who can afford to pay. List of teachers Professed in Sligo in the Ursuline Order published in Kelly (1991).

  • 1851 - 9,047 children attending school.

  • 1853 - Geevagh school.
  • 1853 - Cappagh (A) N.S. Teacher: Hugh HEALY.
  • 1853 - Tubbercurry No. 2. N.S. Also known as St George's N.S. Church of Ireland. Teachers: William CULLEN (1853), and Mr. MEAGHER (1880).

  • 1855 - Skreen Training School. Male with a female section. Established in 1855 on the Hill of Skreen by Revd. Edward NANGLE (1800 - 1883). He was known to his followers as the 'Apostle of Achill' from the Co. Mayo island where he founded a mission in 1831. The Skreen school trained and prepared pupils for Kildare Place, Dublin, worked by the Church Education Society, later called the Church of Ireland Training College. Others boys were prepared for Primrose Grange Incorporated Society School just outside Sligo town. Greer records the following pupils: Wm. Clarke, two Lavells, two McCormicks, Laurence Hunt, Dennis Mullarkey, Wm. Bourk, Wm Patterson (Limerick), J. Glenny, two Coulters, J. McLean, Jacob Martin, James Armstrong, two Maguires, John McAdams, I. Mitchell, Thomas Cox, Isaac Coulter, Jas. H. Gatchell, J. B. Ost, T. Torrens. For an account of the school see Rev. James Greer's book 'The Windings of the Moy' (c. 1927). The building later become the Skreen Church of Ireland National School.

  • 1856 - Academy, school (Thomas H. SMITH). 22 The Mall, Sligo town.
  • 1856 - Hibernian Girls' School (Rebecca McCOY).
  • 1856 - FLANAGAN the Misses. School.

  • 1857 - P. McENIFF'S. Classical school.
  • 1857 - Edward WARD'S. Private classical school.
  • 1857 - Bunnacrannagh N.S. List of teachers 1857-1975 published in Lynch (2000). Teachers: Martin BRETT, Ellen McKENZIE, Mrs. E. McGOWAN, Honora NEARY, John NOLAN, James KENNEDY, John BRETT, Alice CAHILL, Mrs. A. McGOWAN, Wiliam JOHNSTON, John DUFFY, Mary FRAIN, Mrs. M. DURCAN, John KENNEDY, Fanny KENNEDY, John O'HARA, Mary Jane KENNEDY, Louise HENRY, Eliza HENRY, James MURPHY, John CAHILL, Frances JOHNSTON, Brid KENNEDY, John ROGERS, Thomas CORCORAN, Annie M. KENNEDY. Up to 1900.
  • 1857 - Carragarry N.S. Built at the request of Rev. John BARRINS. Teachers: Peter LEONARD (1888-1894). William QUEENAN (1894-1899), and T. FINNERTY (1899- ).
  • 1857 - Quigabar N.S. Kilglass. Teacher: Mr. KAVANAGH (1880-1922).

  • 1858 - Irish Church Missionary Society School House. 7 Church Street.
  • 1858 - Carrickoneilleen N.S.
  • 1858 - Coolbock N.S. Built opposite a Hedge School. Teacher: James Feely (1880-1900).
  • 1858 - Drumcashel N.S. Teachers: James O'CONNOR and his wife Mary Jane (1885).
  • 1858 - Mannionstown N.S. Teacher: Anne FALLON. Closed c. 1896.

  • 1860s - Cloonacool N.S.

  • 1861 - Powellsboro N.S. Supported by the POWELL family. Teachers: Andrew DEVITT, Michael BRETT (1880), Catherine BRETT (1880), and Mary SHEERIN (1880). Inspector: William B. POWELL.

  • 1862 - Elphin Diocesan School. This school, which dates from 1571, was transferred to Sligo by warrant dated 5th November, 1862 (O’Rorke 1889, 2: 268). [but where was it?]
  • 1862 - Marist Brothers primary school. Chapel Lane.
  • 1862 - Coney Island N.S. Teacher: John CROLLY (1862-1882). Replaced by Bridget DEVANEY. Assistant: Jane HART.
  • 1862 - Drumdoney N.S.
  • 1862 - Killoran N.S. Teacher: Arthur QUINN (1862-1899).
  • 1862 - The 'Model School' building completed. Designed by James H. OWENS. Teachers: James FEEHAN (1860) and Miss MONDS (1870). In 1888 it had a total of 296 pupils from all denominations.
  • 1862 - Quay Street N.S. The Marist Brothers opened two schools in Sligo town, a primary school in Quay St. (teacher Bro. GAETAN), and a paying school in Chapel St. called the Academy. The Brothers left Sligo in 1880 but returned again in 1898.

  • 1863 - Banada N.S. Run by the Sisters of Charity.

  • 1864 - Ballymote N.S. (see Newtown, 1840). Teachers: Michael DOYLE (1864-1914) and Francis CUNNINGHAM. DOYLE was a founder of the Irish National Teachers Organisation (INTO). His statue in Ballymote is the only monument to a teacher in Ireland. CUNNINGHAM went on to become Colonial Secretary for British West Africa.

  • 1865 - Doonflin School. This was a gift from Peter O'CONNOR of Sligo.
  • 1865 - Knox Street School.
  • 1865 - Frankfort School. VALENTINE'S school at Killglass. Mr Henry CAMPBELL, Master of school.
  • 1865 - Seafield, Templeboy. List of pupil, 1876-1970 published in Halloran (2000).

  • 1866 - Killeenduff N.S.

  • 1867 - Ballisodare (A) N.S. a Hedge School in Kiloglashy dated from 1836.
  • 1867 - Innishmurray (B) N.S. Located in the WATERS home. Teacher: Miss. HIGGINS.

  • 1868 - Aclare N.S. Church of Ireland School. Maintained by the Church Education Society.
  • 1868 - Cappagh (B) N.S. Site provided by Denis DOLAN, Landlord. Teacher: John COLEMAN (1869-1870), Wm. Durcan (1870), B. MURRAY (1870-1872), J. REDICAN (1872-1879), Joseph O'DONNELL (1879-1881), and Roger NERNEY -1902).
  • 1868 - Carrowkeel N.S.
  • 1868 - Clooneen N.S.
  • 1868 - Knockacullen N.S. Presbyterian school.
  • 1868 - Larkhill N.S. Maintained by the Church Education Society.
  • 1868 - Templehouse N.S. Established by the PERCEVAL family.
  • 1868 - Milltown N.S. Church Education Society school funded by Sir Robert GORE-BOOTH.
  • 1868 - Woodfield N.S. Ballymote. Teacher: Alice WILLIAMS (1901).

  • 1869 - Ballinlig N.S.
  • 1869 - Scoil Naomh Sheosamh in the townland of Bloomfield, Ballintogher.

  • 1870 - Ladies Boarding Schools in Sligo town:
    - Ellen BLYTH, Mall.
    - Jane BURROWS, Lungy St..
    - Ann CHRISTIAN, Stephen St.
  • 1870 - Thomas AIRD'S. 20 Castle Street. In 1881 Mina AIRD'S. Pianoforte warehouse, tuner and music school and music seller.
  • 1870 - Patrick CREAN'S (writing) School. 12 John St. Pay school.
  • 1870-94 - Ellen BLYTH'S (or BLYTHE) School. Ladies' Boarding Day School run by three sisters. Jack B. Yeats attended here (Pyle 1989: 14).
  • 1870 - Allan WILLIAMS. Finisklin. A pay school.
  • 1870 - Achonry N.S.
  • 1870 - Annagh N.S. Teacher: Miss NOUGHTON from Knocknacross (1889- ) and a McDERMOTT from Annagh.
  • 1870 - Ballicutranta N.S.
  • 1870 - Ballyconnell N.S.
  • 1870 - Ballyeeskeen N.S.
  • 1870 - Ballyweelin N.S.
  • 1870 - Breaghwy N.S. Teacheds: Bernard McGOVERN (1873-1911), and Joseph McGOVERN (1890-1910).
  • 1870 - Bunninadden N.S.
  • 1870 - Calry N.S. Teachers: Patrick O'CONNOR and Anne HUNT.
  • 1870 - Carney N.S.
  • 1870 - Carraroe N.S. Teacher Henry MULLIGAN (1891-1914).
  • 1870 - Carrowcrory N.S. Teachers: Mary CONRY (1879), and Bridget McCABE (1872). List of Girl pupils for Carrowcrory, 1869, and Boys, 1910, published in Brehony et al. (2001). List of Girls' for 1869 published in Timony (2001/2002).
  • 1870 - Carrowreagh N.S.
  • 1870 - Cliffoney N.S. Also had a Hedge School from at least 1808.
  • 1870 - Cloonagh N.S. Kilmactranny.
  • 1870 - Bunninaden N.S.
  • 1870 - Carrickoneilleen N.S. Closed.
  • 1870 - Carrowrile N.S.
  • 1870 - Castlebaldwin N.S.
  • 1870 - Castlegal Girls' N.S. Teacher: Mrs. McGLOIN.
  • 1870 - Castlegal Boys' N.S. Teacher: John O'CONNOR (1899-1934).
  • 1870 - Cloonanure N.S. Two schools.
  • 1870 - Colgagh N.S. Closed.
  • 1870 - Culleens N.S. Established by teacher John KELLY.
  • 1870 - Easkey N.S. Two schools, Boys' and Girls'.
  • 1870 - Farranmacfarrell N.S.
  • 1870 - Fulnaahamer Hedge School closed. Teacher: Roger McGOLDRICK (See Kilross).
  • 1870 - Gleneaskey N.S.
  • 1870 - Grange N.S.
  • 1870 - Greyfort N.S.
  • 1870 - Inniscrone Girls N.S. Teachers: Ms. Margaret BARRETT (1870), Ms. Kathleen McNAMARA (1875), Ms. Mary MURRAY (1881), and Ms. Mary SHERIDAN (1882).
  • 1870 - Kilmactigue N.S. Teachers: Boys' school, Mr. McINTYRE (1880-1915), Patrick SPELLMAN (1897-1915). Girls' School, Kathleen SPELMAN (1880-1922) and Briget CURNEEN (1884-1927).
  • 1870 - Kilmactranny (B) N.S. Teacher: Mary LAING (nee GILLEN).
  • 1870 - Kilmorgan N.S. Teacher: Patrick BATTLE (1890-1900). Pupils included James MORRISON the fiddle player.
  • 1870 - Kilross N.S. Built in Water Lane, Ballintogher. Teacher: Roger McGOLDRICK (1870-1902).
  • 1870 - Largan N.S.
  • 1870 - Liskeagh N.S. Originally located in HORAN's barn, Derrygola. Teacher: Mrs. Mary BOYLAN (1878-1880). List of Boys, 1885, published in Brehony et al. (2001).
  • 1870 - Monasteraden N.S.
  • 1870 - Mount Temple N.S. Teacher: Catherine MOFFAT.
  • 1870 - Mount Town, Geevagh. Teacher: Mrs. McDERMOTT.
  • 1870 - Rathcormac N.S. Inspector of schools at this period was Mr. E. WOODS.
  • 1870 - Rathmullen N.S. List of pupils, 1923, published in Brehony et al. (2001). Teacher: Martin McGOWAN ( -1900).
  • 1870 - Ross N.S.
  • 1870 - Rosses Point or Sea View N.S.
  • 1870 - Sooey N.S. Teacher: Martin C. BURKE (1897-1926).
  • 1870 - Tubbercurry Boys' N.S.
  • 1870 - Mullaghroe (A&B) N.S. Teachers: John TANSEY (1872-1889) and Thomas DAVEY (1880-1919). Monitors were: James TANSEY, Pat HUNT, and Simon O'BRIEN (1882).

  • 1871 - Seavill House. Built by the family of McDERMOTT. The residence of Right Rev. Patrick BURKE with ten acres (1824-39). Occupied by Bishop BROWN (n.d.). The residence of Rev. Eugene FEENEY, 1870. Renovations undertaken by the Ursulines for their school in 1871 (Kelly 1991).
  • 1871 - Marino Cottage. Opposite the present Duncan Island Business Centre. "A neat cottage the residence of Capt. Vernon" (O'Donovan 1836). Leased to Bishop BROWN who let it to the Ursulines for boarders in 1871. Used for St. Anne's Day School for a couple of years. Purchased by the Ursuline Convent in 1918 (Kelly 1991).
  • 1871 - St. Laurence's Industrial School for Roman Catholic Girls. Girls schools run by the nuns. From St. Lawrence O'Toole (c. 1128-1180). Certified in 1871. Located in the disused St. John's Roman Catholic Chapel (Wood-Martin 1892: 114). Also housed in a building on the corner of Chapel St., and Chapel Hill (1858).
    The Industrial Schools Act, 1857, was enacted to make better provision for the care and education of vagrant, destitute, and disorderly children. Another Act was passed in 1861 and both were consolidated by an act passed in 1866. The act was extended to Ireland, 1868. In Sligo the school was established by the Sisters of Mercy who were already engaged in similar work. In 1872 twenty- eight children were under detention, five were voluntary inmates and 219 attended the National School on the premises. "The children work daily in the garden and farm-yard; they milk and feed cows, rear calves, and fatten pigs and poultry, they work in the kitchen, laundry and dairy". ... Arrangments are now preparing to build an additional wing in which will be a public laundry...' (Parliamentary Papers 1873). St. Laurence's Industrial School had in 1888, 152 inmates. The building was finally demolished in 1986 to make way for the Cheshire Home. St. Anne's Youth Club now occupies the remainder on the opposite corner.
  • 1871 - Coolavin N.S. Teacher: John CASEY (1872-1908).
  • 1871 - Kilglass N.S. Teacher: Mr. FUREY (1871).
  • 1871 - 10,477 children attending school.
  • 1871 - St. Laurence's Industrial School for R.C. girls opened by the Sisters of Mercy for 120 girls. Corresponding manager Mrs. Mary B. O’CONNELL.

  • 1872 - Knocknarea N.S. Teachers: Michael HARTE (1872-1914), and Elizabeth CONNOLLY (1872).

  • 1875 - National School. Sligo and Leitrim District Lunatic Asylum.
  • 1875 - Workhouse Schools. National Schools, male and female, with a total of 113 pupils.
  • 1875 - Aughris N.S. Closed. Maintained by the Church Education Society. Teachers were Mr. Terence KEANE and his wife.
  • 1875 - Forthill N.S. Built on the 'Handkerchief Field.' Teacher: Mary KIELTY.

  • 1876 - Highpark N.S. Teacher: John O'HORA (1876-1900).

  • 1877 - Skreen N.S. Church of Ireland. For a time it was the Training School of the Kildare Place Society. Teacher: James CLOSE ( -1901).
  • 1877 - Templeterrace N.S. Built from funds provided by Dr. BURNE. An older school existed in the neighbourhood. Teachers: Peter HEALY (1877-1905), and Brigid KIVLEHAN (1877- ).
  • 1877 - Tubberawnaun N.S.

  • 1878 - St. Laurence's School grave. Old Cemetery. A common grave for 49 young girls and bearing the inscription, "Here lie the Remains of the Departed Children of St. Laurence's School Convent of Mercy St. Patrick's Sligo. 1878 - 1952. May They Rest in Peace."
  • 1878 - Keash N.S. Teachers: Thomas LITTLE and Peter SHEERIN. Patrick DRURY (1895-1901) succeeded LITTLE. List of pupils for 1894 published in Brehony et al. (2001).

  • 1879 - Carrigans N.S. Teachers: Martin F. QUIGLEY (1879-1899) and Bernard MULLEN (1899-1921).
  • 1879 - Cloonagh N.S. Curry. Teachers: William BRENNAN (1879), and Mrs. SWORDS.

  • 1880 - Drumnagranshy N.S. List of Girls for 1886, published in Brehony et al. (2001).
  • 1880 - Emlaghnaughton N.S. (see Little Bridge, 1832). Teacher: Batt HENRY (1880-1922).
  • 1880 - The College of the Immaculate Conception (known as Summerhill College) moved to Quay St, Sligo from Athlone. Preparatory School attached.
  • 1880 - The Catholic Literary Society in Temple-street was started. Evening instruction for shop assistants, mechanics, and trade apprentices.


    1881 - 12,891 children attending school.

  • 1882 - Corsallagh N.S. Site provided by the BRETT family. Teachers: Hughie GREEN and Miss. NOLAN. An older Hedge School was in the area.
  • 1882 - The Benada Abbey Industrial School for R.C. girls, Tubbercurry opened with 50 girls. Corresponding manager was Mrs. Alice WALSH.
    Example from a Punishment Book in this type of school:
    - Coming to class not tidy - Had their pinafores put over their heads for half an hour.
    - For telling a lie - Had hot pepper put on tongue.
    - Idleness during lessons - Had to do exercise at recreation.
    - For insolence - Had a band put over her mouth for half an hour.
    - For scribbling in her copybook - Had to wear it on her head for a quarter hour.

  • 1883 - Presbyterian School Hall. Built in 1883 (per wall plaque). Church Street.
  • 1883 - Nuns' School (later Scoil Fatima), N.S. Sligo town. Also known as the Line School. Run by the Sisters of Mercy.

  • 1884 - Townaghbrack N.S. "The College in the Bog." Teachers: James HANNON, Thomas CRYAN, Mrs. CRYAN and assistants. A renowned place of education was attracting pupils from outside the county.
  • 1884 - Home Education in Killalla & Achonry (Seaside). Rev. George CROLY receives a limited number of pupils to board and educate.

  • 1885 - Carn N.S. Builder Martin IGOE. Replaced an older school. Teacher: "Professor" FINN.
  • 1885 - Derryleehan N.S. Built by the HEALY family. Teacher: Brigid HEALY (1885-1915).
  • 1885 - Dunally N.S. Stone for the building supplied by Mr. PARKE of Dunally. Teachers: James O'CONNOR and his wife Mary Jane.
  • 1885 - Masshill N.S.

  • 1887 - Carnaree N.S.
  • 1887 - Drumcormack N.S.
  • 1887 - Drummons N.S. Kilmore Parish.
  • 1887 - Mariners' N.S. Church of Ireland School. Teacher: Alice BLAKENEY. Manager: Rev. William MORROW. The school served the children of the coastguard station.
  • 1887 - Riverstown No 2. N.S.

  • 1888 - 23,511 children on the rolls of the National Schools.

  • 1888 - Knockalassa N.S. Previously a Hedge School. Teacher: John GARDINER (1888-1900).
  • 1888 - Scoil Phádraig N.S. Sligo town. Run by the Sisters of Mercy.

  • 1889 - Mrs BENNETT'S. Congregational Private School.
  • 1889 - Calry No. 2 National School. Primary level
  • 1889 - Schoolhouse. Carrowroe. Erected and endowed by Peter O’CONNOR.
  • 1889 - Lakeview N.S.

  • 1890s - Achonry No. 2. Church of Ireland School. Maintained by the Church Education Society. Teacher: Kathleen MOORE ( -1901).
  • 1890s - Carnaleck N.S.
  • 1890 - Cloghogue N.S. Group photograph published in The Corran Herald (2000/2001). Teachers: Mr. Luke NANGLE and Miss WHITE.
  • 1890s - Ballymote Girls' School. Teachers: Mrs. KELLY and Mrs. O'DOWD.
  • 1890s - Ballymote Infants School,. Teacher: Marcella DALY.

  • 1891 - Moylough N.S. Site provided by the SNEE family. Teachers: Michael BRETT (1891), Mary MAYE (1891), Kate KENNY (1891). Trainee teacher: Mary LEONARD (1892).
  • 1891 - Stockane (B) N.S. Teachers: John MAYE (1847-1887), his son John MAYE (1887-1891), Denis ROUSE (1891-1931), Maria MAYE (1876) and Brigid MAYE (1897).

  • 1893 - Collooney (No. 2) N.S. Built and supported by the COOPER family.

  • 1894 - Diocesan School (William EADES). Private secondary school. Later it became the Sligo Grammar School.
  • 1894 - Model School (Infants) (Jane ROBINSON) (see 1862).
  • 1894 - Clooncunny N.S. Teachers: John and Mary FINNIGAN and their daughter Una STAUNTON.

  • 1895 - Drumcashel N.S.

  • 1896 - Gleann N.S. Sooey.
  • 1896 - Strandhill N.S. Teachers: Kate GALLAGHER nee COGAN. (1896-1926).

  • 1897 - Belville school closed.
  • 1897 - Dunbekin N.S.
  • 1897 - Leyny N.S. Church of Ireland. Originally funded by the Church Education Society. Teachers: George IRWIN and James CLARKE.

  • 1898 - Marist Brothers returned to Quay Street and later moved to Temple St. (St. John's School). Teacher: Bro. Lewis GILLEN. 1898 - Lungy N.S. closed.

  • 1899 - The Sisters of Mercy assumed the administration of the workhouse on the invitation of the Board of Guardians.
  • 1899 - Annaghmore N.S.
  • 1899 - Innishmurray (C) N.S. Teacher: Mrs. WATERS nee HIGGINS (1899-1900).
  • 1899 - Seafield N.S.
  • 18?? - Calry Hibernian High School. Named from the Ladies Hibernian Female School Society.



    Other Schools in this period for which no dates are available: Ballinafad, Ballindoon, Beltra, Carrickard, Carrowcar, Clogher, Cloonty, Coola, Derk, Dromard, Gleniff, Gortalough, Grainmore, Hollyfield, Kilfree, Knockmoynagh, Leharrow, Lissadell, Mullaghaneane, Mullanes, Sligo Leitrim District Asylum, Sligo National, Sligo Presbyterian, Sligo Workhouse, Tubbercurry Workhouse.



    TWENTIETH CENTURY:

  • 1901 - Cooking School, Union Place, Rathedmond (see the 1901 census for names).
  • 1901 - Cooking School (Lillian. G. PARKE). 12 Back Street (at the 'back' of Union Street). Training, lodging house.

  • 1902 - St. Vincent's National School. Finisklin Road. Opened in 1902 by the Ursulines. The building was extended in 1914 and again in 1934. It closed in 1966 and the pupils transferred to Scoil Ursula.

  • 1903 - Sligo Standard School. 32 High Street. Shorthand and commercial.

  • 1907 - Grammar School. The Mall, Sligo town. Formally opened 27 Nov 1907. A report of the restructuring committee of the Incorporated Society in 1947 proposed closing the Sligo Grammar School and the resulting campaign by the Sligo Schools Committee to save the school, led by Rev. Charles TYNDALL, brought about the amalgamation of the Girls' High School (Ardmore House) with the Grammar School and with the purchase of the adjoining Hermitage building and lands the school became co-educational (Irish Times 11 April 1947).

  • 1910 - The Poor Sisters of Nazareth came to Sligo to care for the children forced to live in the workhouse. They provided schooling until the children were teenagers.

  • 1911 - Drumcashel National School. Mullaghgar.
  • 1911 - National male and female School. Loughanelteen.

  • 1912 - Sligo Girls High School. Established in Ardmore House (now Markievicz House), 1912. Moved to the Hermitage on The Mall.
    Originally named Charlemont House it was built in 1885 by Sligo merchant and brewer Charles Anderson. After his death in 1886 the property was leased by William and Elizabeth Pollexfen. Both W.B. and Jack B. Yeats spent holidays there with their grandparents. Many of the latters paintings of Sligo harbour were painter here. In 1912 it was renamed Ardmore House by the Incorporated Society and converted into a Girls' High School. After the school moved to the Mall it was bought by the County Council in 1948 and used as a sanatorium. The newly established North Western Health Board renamed it Markievicz House in 1971. (Aine Ryan in Irish Times 29 July 2003). Under the latter name it is the property of the Health Service Executive (HSE) supplying community health services, including BMDs.

  • 1915 - Training House for Girls, Union Place, Rathedmond. Under the Patronage of the Sligo Protestant Orphan Society. "The object of the Society is to provide diet, lodging, clothing, and Scriptural education for the destitute orphans of deceased Protestants, and to apprentice them to Protestant masters and mistresses of approved religious principles and conduct" (Seventh Annual Report of the Society). Note this was during WWI.

  • 1930 - Technical College, Bellanode. A Vocational Education Committee (VEC) second level school located beside the Institute of Technology. The Vocational Education Act, 1930, reorganised technical instruction and provided education at a low cost for pupils whose needs were not catered for in the secondary school system. Vocational education was designed for trades, manufactures, commerce and other industrial pursuits. They were co-educational and non-denominational and administered by a local committee selected by local authorities. The distinction, which obtained between secondary schools and vocational schools was broken down when the latter began to offer the same certification after 1967.

  • 1944 - St John's School. It was run by the Marist Brothers until September 2001. It is now under lay management.

  • 1959 - Yeats International Summer School. An annual two- weekmini-university, with lectures and seminars.

  • 1970 - Institute of Technology. Bellanode. Ash Lane Ballytivnan. Originally it was accessed from Barroe Road. Foundation for further education in technical subjects. Established by the Government in 1970 as a Regional College to provide training and education at third level in parallel to traditional universities. In 1980 (Irish Times 20 August 1980) the College turned out 900 trained people each year. It was then the national centre for toolmaking and a centre for engineering and allied subjects. It now has over 3,000 full-time students and a staff of about 300. The Institute is divided into three schools: Business and Humanities, Engineering, and Science.

  • 1977 - Carbury National School (Hilda HIGGINS). Beside the Grammar School. Opened 28 September 1977 with four teachers and 130 pupils on a site belonging to the Incorporated Society of Ireland. It replaced the old "Model School," and caters for Presbyterian, Methodist and Church of Ireland children (Irish Times 29 September 1977).

  • 1987 - Sligo School Project. The Mall. Opened with two teachers. A multi-denominational school. It moved to Abbeyquarter in 1999. In 2010 it had ten teachers.

  • 1990 - St. Brendan's National School. Cartron.

  • 1994 - St. Edward's National School. Ballytivnan (See 1875 Forthill)



        Reference:
      • Alvarez, Sr. (2001) Marist Convent, Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo. Sligo: Marist Sisters.
      • Atkinson, Norman. (1969) Irish Education a history of educational institutions. Dublin: Allen Figgis.
      • Barnes, J. (1989) Irish Industrial Schools 1868 - 1908. Dublin: Irish Academic Press.
      • Brehony, T., et al. (2001) Keash and Culfadda a local history. Sligo: The Keash-Culfadda Local History Committee.
      • County Sligo INTO Millennium Committee. 2000, The National Schools of County Sligo 1831-1999. Sligo: Highwood Community Resource.
      • Durand, S. (2000) Drumcliffe. The Church of Ireland Parish in its north Sligo setting. Leitrim: Drumlin.
      • Greer, J. (1927) The Windings of the Moy with Skreen and Tireragh.
      • Halloran, M. (2000) Templeboy 2000. Sligo: Templeboy 2000 Millennium Committee.
      • Kelly, D. (1991) The Sligo Ursulines. Ninety years of growth 1876 - 1966. Sligo: Ursuline Convent.
      • Lynch, J.(ed) (2000) Bunnacrannagh remembered 1857 - 2000. Sligo: Bunnacrannagh Reunion Committee.
      • McCloghry, T. (2001) The Sligo Journal - Sept.14th 1832, Oct. 5th 1832, and Jan.10th 1834. Personal Communication. Oct. 9.
      • MCTernan, J.C. (1990) At the foot of Knocknarea. A chronicle of Coolera in bygone days. Sligo: Avena.
      • McTernan, J.C. (2000/2001) The Hawksbys of Ballymote. The Corran Herald. Sligo: Ballymote Heritage Group. Issue 33.
      • Moffitt, M. (1999) The Church of Ireland Community of Killala & Achonry 1870 - 1940. Dublin: Irish Academic Press.
      • O'Horo, M. (2000) Skreen Dromard history & heritage. Sligo: Skreen and Dromard Millennium Committee.
      • O'Rorke, T. (1889) History of Sligo. 2 Vols.
      • Somerville, W. Gawley, I. Gordon, S. Kelly, D., and Kelly, F. Castleconnor Parish. An historical perspective - pre 1900. Sligo: Castleconnor Parish Development Group.
      • Swords, L. (1998) A hidden Church. The Diocese of Achonry 1689 - 1818. Dublin: The Columbia Press.
      • Timoney, C.H.M. (2001/2002) Carrowcrory Girls N.S. Register, 1869. The Corran Herald. Sligo: Ballymote Heritage Group. Issue 34.
      • Wood-Martin, W.G. (1882-93) History of Sligo. 3 Vols.
      • Parliamentary Papers (1834) Accounts and Papers relating to Miscellaneous Accounts. Vol. ii. London: Stationery Office.
      • Keogh, Very Rev. Canon (1865) Ireland, England, and Scotland, Complete Ordo in English. Edited by James W. Kavanagh. Dublin: John Mullaney for Catholic University of Ireland.



contributor: James M.J. McDonald - culrua@gmail.com
McDonald, J. (2001) A Timeline of Schooling in Sligo 1700 - 1800.