Tubbercurry, Achonry Parish, Leyny Barony, Sligo County is a beautiful Sligo town.It is located at the foot of the Ox Mountains. There is a Roman Catholic Church and also St. George's Episcopal Church.There is a graveyard. Tubbercurry was first mentioned in the Annals in the year 1397, and so celebratedits 600th anniversary last year. The name in Irish is 'Tobar A' Choire'. Tobar means a 'well'. So it was a place to get drinking water.Nowadays Tubbercurry has a population of over 1100 people. They run a 'Music Week' each July. This has really grown inimportance, and lovers of Irish music from all over the world come to play and learn traditional Irish music.They have a very active drama group who call themselves the 'Phoenix Players'. They are usually involved in the Western DramaFestival, held in the town each March.
This is the central plaza in Tubbercurry. The musicians are sheet metal silhouettes.
picture © Paul Burns
- Alton, John Tubbertilly will: July 23, 1813 probate:Jan. 15,1824
- Beaty, James Tubbercorry will: Nov. 19, 1816 probate: Oct. 1, 1817
- Durkan, Owen Tubbercorry will: Jan. 24,1790 probate: June 4, 1790
- Henry, James Tobbercorry will: March 9, 1811 probate: May 18, 1811
- Napper, James Tubbercorry will: June 5, 1721 probate: Oct. 21, 1721
- West, John Tubbertilly will: April 23, 1818 probate: June 13, 1820
- West, Thomas: Aug. 6, 1866 Tobercurry - parents, William West, Jane Walker
- Johnston, Anthony: March 3, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= John Johnston, Bridget Foley
- Johnston, Bridget: Feb. 9, 1866 Tobercurry - parents= Daniel Johnston, Catherine Burke
- Johnston, Teresa: Sept. 26, 1864 Tobercurry - parents= James Johnston, Anne McNickolas
- Craven, Catherine: Oct. 9, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= Thomas Creaven, Charlotte Allen
- Brennan, Maria: Tubbercurry, County Sligo
- Clarke, Thomas: 1835 Tubbercurry, Sligo, Ireland
- Gallagher, Bartly: Sept. 25, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= James Gallagher, Bridget Mullarky
- Gallagher, Bartley: April 7,1866 Tobercurry - parents= Thomas Gallagher, Mary McDonagh
- Gallagher, Atty_ : Dec. 15, 1864 Tobercurry - parents= Thomas Gallagher, Bridget Stenson
- Gallagher, Anne: July 14, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= Anthony Gallagher, Catherine Killoron
- Gallagher, Anne: May 27, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= James Gallagher, Mary Higgins
- Gallagher, Anne: April 16, 1864 Tobercurry - parents= Thomas Gallagher, Bridget Higgins
- Gallagher, Alexander: Nov. 6, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= Michael Gallagher, Bridget O'Hara
- Gannon, Patrick: Nov. 10, 1865 Tobercurry - parents= Owen Gannon, Mary May
- Gannon,John: July 20, 1868 Tobercurry - parents= John Gannon, Mary Grogan
- Gannon,John: Dec. 10, 1864 Tobercurry - parents= James Gannon, Mary Gannon
- O'Connor, Mary Anne b 1/2/1864, parents= Daniel O'Connor and Catherine Calvey
- O'Connor, Margaret M. b 5/13/1866, parents=Daniel O'Connor and Catherine Calvey
- O'Connor, James b 7/21/1869, parents=Daniel O'Connor and Catherine Calvey
- Teressia O'Connor November 16, 1879 Cloonarara, Tubbercurry, County Sligo.
- Parents= Daniel O'Connor and Catherine Calvey
- Daniel O'Connor is buried in Court Abbey in the parish of Achonry-Mullinabreena.
- His brother, Denis and his wife are also buried there.
- Denis' son, also named Denis, had emmigrated to New York, but returned to Tobercurry in 1965. He died there in 1969, and is also buried at Court Abbey.
- Johnston, Margaret & Craven,Robert: Feb. 9, 1848 Tobercurry
St. George's cemetery picture
- The folowing were contributed by Kevin Kozoriz firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lawson,Anne: 7 May 1880, Killasser House, Attinaskollia, County Mayo, burial - Tubbercurry
- Cuffe, George: 17 Mar 1873, Tubbercurry, Achonry, Sligo
- Cuffe,James: 4 Nov 1877, Lissaneagh, Tobercurry, Sligo
- Cuffe, Catherine: 30 Oct 1903 Tubbercurry
- Brett, Frances Elizabeth : 12 Feb 1934 Tubbercurry
- Cuffe, George: 17 Mar 1873 Tubbercurry, Achonry
- Cuffe, George L.: 27 Dec 1908 illasser House, Attinaskollia, County Mayo (May have been Tubbercurry, he is buried there)
- Cuffe, James Lawson : 4 Nov 1915 Tubbercurry
- Brett, Kathleen: 27 Jan 1907 Killasser, Swineford, Mayo (May have been Tubbercurry, she is buried there)
- Clarke, Thomas: 28 Mar 1913 Tubbercurry
- Brett, Frances Elizabeth : St Georges Church Cemetery, Tubbercurry
- Cuffe, George : Tubbercurry, Sligo, Ireland
- Cuffe, George L. : St George Church Of Ireland, Tubbercurry
- Cuffe, James Lawson : St Georges Church Cemetery, Tubbercurry
- Brett,Kathleen : Tubbercurry
- Clarke,Thomas : Tubbercurry
- Daniel O'Connor March 17, 1917 at Cloonarara, Tubbercurry, County Sligo Age 94, Farmer
Disclaimer:there may be errors due to transcription ofinformation from both early and late (current contributors) work.