Draper Hill near Lake City, Barber County, Kansas, 2005
Photo by Kim Fowles, 2005.
Click here for a complete listing of about 240 pages on this site which are illustrated with photographs.
The Grand Hotel, Medicine Lodge, Barber County, Kansas, historic and modern photos courtesy of Nathan Lee, Beverly Horney McCollom and Marilou West Ficklin.
The Original Barber County Court House, Medicine Lodge, Kansas, photo courtesy of Kim Fowles.
The Lake City Bank Building, Lake City, Kansas, photo courtesy of Kim Fowles.
Bender/Chinn Cemetery - north of Sun City
Cornish/Harrington Cemetery (also known as Hope Cemetery)
Forrest City/Garten Cemetery - Forrest City
Hope Cemetery (also known as Cornish/Harrington Cemetery)
Jesse Cemetery - west of Medicine Lodge.
Lacy Cemetery - near Deerhead.
Lee Cemetery - family cemetery on private land.
Paddock Cemetery (also known as Haas Cemetery) - 8 miles north of Medicine Lodge
Soldier Creek Cemetery - Belvidere, Kiowa County, Kansas.
Sunnyside Cemetery - Active cemetery, Sun City.
Sharon Christian Church - Sharon
Sun City Baptist Church, Sun City
Cities and Towns:
Belvidere (Kiowa County)
Massey Farm Machinery, historic photographs with comments and anecdotes from David and Nate Massey.
John T. Jesse (on Jesse Cemetery page)
Landscape and Geology:
Cowboy Rock near Sun City, Barber County, Kansas Photos from the collection of Kim Fowles.
Barber County State Fishing Lake, photos by Nathan Lee.
The Natural Bridge near Sun City, Barber County, Kansas Photos courtesy of Brenda McLain, Kim Fowles and the Kansas Geological Society.
Lyle Bullock's Photo Collection, World War I.
Soldiers in Co. "I", 353rd INF., 89th DIV., U.S.A., A.E.F. Barber county men in Co. I were: Newton M. Cornwell, Aaron E. McDonald, James R. Vaughn and Lester Dell Ikerd of Kiowa; Lyle Bullock, Bertie S. Hayes, Willie Mader and Herschel Skaggs of Medicine Lodge.
Photographs: Barber County Men & Women With The Armed Forces, WWII
From The Barber County Index, 24 Aug 1944 - 28 Dec 1944.
Chester HAGERMAN, World War I.
Captain Joe MASSEY, U.S. Army WWII veteran.
Kent MASSEY Korean War veteran
Michael MASSEY Vietnam veteran
Ralph Nathan "Nate" MASSEY, Jr. WWII veteran
Mark M. McLAIN WWII veteran
Max M. McLAIN WWII veteran
Thomas J. MURPHY, Vice Consul of the United States of America
- Bruce ADAMS
- Greenville "Green" ADAMS
- Johnson M. ADAMS and his wives, Elizabeth & Lucinda.
- Charles B. "Keno" ARMSTRONG Stagecoach driver.
- Wesley "Pete" BENNETT
- Louis BISSANTZ
- John Denver BOGGS
- Rachel (Fitch) BOWMAN
- Elma Verna (Garten) BRAGG
- Lyle BULLOCK WWI veteran
- "Uncle" Milt CLEMENTS Civil War veteran
- Alzina (Knowles) Harrington CORNISH
- Anice Harrington CORNISH
- George & Alzina (Knowles) Harrington CORNISH
- Murray DAVIS
- Erma Eugene (Keller) DOWNING
- Ada (Laury) DRAPER
- Luther C. DRURY
- John DURFEE
- Jacob Andrew FARRIS WWII veteran
- Archable & Mary A. FELTNER
- Anna Jane (Bowman) FORBES
- Liz FOSTER
- Kim FOWLES
- Albert Stanley GARTEN
- Arvilla Anna (Farley) GARTEN
- Bill F. GARTEN
- Billie H. GARTEN
- Dale Guy GARTEN
- Franklin James "Frank" GARTEN
- Glen Delbert GARTEN
- Glenn Leon "Bear" GARTEN Vietnam veteran.
- Guy William & Marian (Trotter) GARTEN
- Hal & Belle (Connor) GARTEN
- Harvey Lee GARTEN
- Henderson Franklin GARTEN
- Jack W. & Altha Maude (Stewart) GARTEN
- Dr. James Bud GARTEN
- John Henry GARTEN Confederate Civil War veteran
- John GARTEN
- John Stanley & Dorothy A. (Obenchain) GARTEN
- Nancy Ellen (Pendleton) GARTEN
- Opal May GARTEN
- Sarah Elizabeth (Nurse) GARTEN
- Spice H. "Bud" & Pearl Lealure (McBride) GARTEN
- Joseph P. GIBSON Civil War veteran.
- Maggie (Doles) GIBSON
- Phoebe (Rogers) GIBSON
- George H. GILES WWI veteran
- James GILES WWII veteran
- Donald R. "Cannon Ball" GREEN
- HAGERMAN Family
- Chester HAGERMAN WWI Casualty
- Elmer Ellsworth HAGERMAN
- Lewis Maple HASTINGS
- Homer HASTINGS
- Mary Eliza (Kern) HASTINGS
- C.A. "Buster" HATHAWAY
- Ora K. HELTON World War II veteran
- Sam & Mary HELTON
- HERR Family Photos
- Elizabeth (Shenk) HERR
- Lillian Vicury (Painter) HERR
- U.C. "Clayt" HERR
- John W. HILLMAN a.k.a. John W. HILLMON
- A Gallery of Photographs: The Hillmon/Hillman Case.
- Alice Marian (Rowley) HOAGLAND
- Clifford Raymond & Bernice Laura (Lott) HOAGLAND
- Frank W. & Hattie HOAGLAND
- Homer Fred HOAGLAND
- Lon N. HOAGLAND
- Raymond Harold "Bill" & Eva (Morehead) HOAGLAND
- Glen LeRoy HOGARD
- Pvt. Cecil HOOD, U.S. Army
- Walter & Eva Maria (Shafer) HOLMAN and their descendants
- Bill HORN Stagecoach driver.
- Tyson G. HUDSON U.S. Army, Desert Storm veteran
- Theophilus Dee & Harriet Emma (Rinebarger) INSLEE
- I-SEE-O Kiowa Indian Chief
- Reuben & Mary H. (Beal) LAKE
- Riley LAKE
- Louista Isabella (Moffett) LEE
- Nina Elloise LEFFLER
- Cecil LOTT
- Ella Bird (Van Horn) LOTT
- George W. LOTT
- David MASSEY: Memories of Barber County People and Events
- Captain Joe MASSEY, U.S. Army WWII veteran.
- John Robert MASSEY, D.D.S. WWII & Korean War veteran
- Joseph P. MASSEY
- Joseph Raymond "Ray" MASSEY
- Kent MASSEY Korean War veteran
- Michael MASSEY Vietnam veteran
- Nathan "Nate" MASSEY WWII veteran
- Ralph Nathan MASSEY
- Charley MATTHEWS
- Ulysses MAXON
- Marion Francis McLAIN
- Mark M. McLAIN WWII veteran
- Max M. McLAIN WWII veteran
- Ruth (Massey) McLAIN
- Doris Evelyn MILLER
- James MILLER
- Norman and Lois MILLS
- Thomas J. MURPHY
- Carry A. NATION (Carrie Amelia NATION)
- Jennie S. (Stoughton) OSBORN
- Dr. Leon L. OSBORN
- William George OSBORN
- Rev. Charles W. OWENS
- Oliver OWENS
- Cynthia Ann (Morton) PAINTER
- David Franklin PAINTER
- Howard Judson PARKER
- C.C. Pepperd Resident of Sun City, Kansas, in 1873
- Oscar Lindgren & Atlanta (Adams) PETERSON
- Daniel PIERCE
- Polly (Joseph) RISNER
- LTjg. Cecil ROBINSON, U.S. Navy of Kingman County, Kansas
- Clarence Edward & Bertha Emma (Inslee) RUCKER
- Fielding N. & Katherine "Kate" Conley (Whitaker) SALYER
- Daryl & Jeanne (Clark) SCHIFF
- Jack L. & Bonnie D. (Garten) SHAFFER
- Samuel Jefferson SHEPLER
- G.G. SHIGLEY
- Della (Adams) SHULTZ
- Edna (Garten) SMITH
- F.M. STEELE: The Tourist Photo Artist
- Artha Lee (Van Horn) Massey SURBER
- VAN HORN Family Reunion at Sun City, Kansas: Sept. 30 - Oct. 1, 2006
- Austin Ralph VAN HORN
- John Homer VENTERS, Photographer.
- Michael E. "Mike" VENTERS.
- Adrian A. WARD WWII veteran
- Joseph & Sarah Jane (Dutton) WATKINS
- William Shane & Mary Jane (Chenoweth) WATKINS
- Bonnie Pearl (Adams) WELLS
- Jewel Kathryn (Herr) WEST
- Reverend John Presley WOODS of the Sun City Baptist Church
- Elmer & Jane "Jennie" WOODWORTH
- John & Sarah Ellen (Wygle) YOUNG
McLain's Roundup. Photos by Homer Venters
Courtesy of his great-nephew, Mike Venters.
McLain's Roundup: the Memories of Joe Massey Photos by Homer Venters captioned by Joe Massey, from the collection of Brenda McLain, courtesy of Kim Fowles.
McLain Roundup photos by Homer Venters
From the collection of Brenda McLain, courtesy of Kim Fowles.
McLain's Annual Roundup, Sun City, Kansas. Photograph by Murphy
Courtesy of Nathan Lee and William Lee.
Marion Francis McLain, founder of McLain's Roundup
Medicine Lodge High School in the 1930s, photo courtesy of Bob Osborn.
Medicine Lodge Freshmen Basketball Team, 1924, photo courtesy of Bob Osborn.
Medicine Lodge High School Class of 1939's 10th Year Reunion, photo courtesy of Bob Osborn.
Sun City Basketball Teams, photos courtesy of Brenda McLain.
White Sands School near Sun City Photo courtesy of Bonnie (Garten) Shaffer.
Stagecoach Drivers & Stagecoach Line Owners
Charles B. "Keno" ARMSTRONG Stagecoach driver.
Bill HORN Stagecoach driver.
Opportunities for photographing wild life are frequent in Barber County. Among the animals you'll find are
White-tailed deer, Rio Grande wild turkeys, bobcats, coyotes and rabbits. Game birds are pheasants and quail.
Birdwatchers will find a wide variety of birds to make their "birding" expeditions worthwhile.
See Buds, Birds and Buffalos for Evelyn Reed's illustrated account of the 2005 Comanche Pool Area Bird and Nature Tour. The page includes a listing of birds commonly observed in the area.
This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book.