Sun City School prior to 1901, Sun City, Barber County, Kansas.
The teacher MAY be J.E. Thomas.
From Elloise Leffler's photo collection, courtesy of Kim Fowles.
- College Hill School
- Isabel School - 1911 list of students
- Lake City School
- Lasswell School
- Rock School House
- Barber County: Kansas One Room School House Project
- List of Sharon, Kansas, High School Graduates, 1914 - 1987
- Photographs of Sun City School Pupils, Barber County, Kansas
- Sun City School Pupils, 1920-1921
- Sun City High School Graduates, 1925 - 1966
- Sun City High School Graduates, 1935 - Class Photograph
- Sun City School Pupils and Teachers Listing of students who attended Sun City and for one reason or another did not graduate from Sun City perhaps moved away, quit school, or were required to attend Medicine Lodge when the school closed.
- Photos of Sun City Basketball Teams
- A List of the Graduates of Medicine Lodge High School (1890 - 1937)
- Medicine Lodge Freshmen Basketball Team, 1924
- Medicine Lodge High School in the 1930s
- Medicine Lodge High School Class of 1939's 10th Year Reunion
- Elm Grove "Red Rock" School, about 1904. Photo courtesy of Ellen (Knowles) Bisson.
- White Sands School near Sun City Photo courtesy of Bonnie (Garten) Shaffer.
Franklin High School, Kiowa, Kansas.
Photo courtesy of Ed Rucker.
Barber County School System
Unified School District 254, Barber County North. (Medicine Lodge, Sharon.)
400 West Eldorado Ave., Medicine Lodge, Ks 67104
Phone: 620-886-5667. Fax: 620-886-3053.
Google search results: "Medicine Lodge High School"
Unified School District 255, South Barber. (Kiowa, Hazelton)
1220 N. 8th, Kiowa, Ks 67061
Phone: (620) 825-4214.
Google search results: "South Barber High School"
Early Barber County Schools
The first obtainable report from this county to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, bears date 1878. The county then had eight schoolhouses, six log and two frame. There were twenty school districts, and a school population of 360. The number of schoolhouses in the county in 1880 is reported at four (evidently a mistake). There were in that year twenty-five school districts, and a school population of 869. In 1882, several districts failed to report, and some inaccuracies resulted. That year showed fourteen schoolhouses, 861 school population, an enrollment of 400, and an average attendance of 325. The total expenses of the year were $2,639.83; the total receipts, $3,122.69.
-- From William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, first published in 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.
Historical Collections for Barber County Schools
"In 1974 the Hardtner School consolidated with the Kiowa and Hazelton schools. Then the Tornado room came into existence. The Tornado Room houses the history of the Hardtner School through the years of 1922 to 1974. This includes pictures, trophies, and year books. If you would like more information or have historical items that would enhance this collection contact Della Trotter at 296-4522. This collection is maintained by Friends of Library Members." -- Hardtner Public Library, P. O. Box 38, Hardtner, KS 67057. Phone: 620-296-4586.
Kiowa School Museum, 5th and Miller, Kiowa, KS 67070. Open by appointment.
REUNION: The 1966 class of Medicine Lodge High School will be holding their 40th class reunion during the 2006 Peace Treaty. If you graduated in 1966 or know of someone who did, we need addresses. Please contact Becky Catlin, P. O. Box 214, Medicine Lodge, KS 67104 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barber County Class Reunions
CLASS OF 1969 - Anyone interested in helping to organize a reunion for the Medicine Lodge High School Class of 1969, please contact Joann (Jones) Motter at 9413 Hall Drive, Lenexa, KS 66219 or email: email@example.com.
This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 28 June 2008.
The following RootsWeb Visitors Counter began counting on 28 June 2008.