Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


Chautauqua County Directories
1878 Gazetteer and Business Directory, R. L. Polk & Co.



BELKNAP. A small settlement located on Middle Caney creek in the northwestern part of Chautauqua county, 15 miles from Sedan, the county seat. The postoffice here has been recently discontinued.



CEDAR VALE. A place of 350 inhabitants settled in 1869 and located on Big Caney and Cedar rivers in the southwest corner of Chautauqua county, 20 miles from Sedan, the county seat and 55 from Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence Gulf R. R., its nearest shipping point. It contains a flour mill, a saw mill and a common school building in which the Methodist Episcopal, Christian and Universalist denominations worship. The exports are principally wheat and live stock. Stage daily to Independence and tri weekly to Winfield, carrying express and mail. Charles R. Pollard, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Albright & Hills, lawyers.
Burnett Bros, carpenters.
Carney J H, live stock.
Cox & Knowles, carpenters.
Davis E W, general store.
Davis Rev J, (Universalist.)
Gilbert A, photographer.
Hewins E M, live stock.
Hill Mrs Jennie, milliner.
C Hills S T, general store.
Howard William, General Store.
Jaquins Ed., live stock.
Kenesson F S, boots and shoes
Kenesson Cox, general store.
Kennedy Mrs Millie, dressmaker.
Lemert Rev A, (Christian.)
Lewis C H, physician and druggist.
Loring William, livery.
Lynch Wm P, lawyer.
Miller T A, wagonmaker.
Mitchell Elam, Meat Market.
Nicholson Co, saw mill.
Phelps Luke, hotel.
Potter Ethel M, millinery.
Pugh Bros, blacksmiths.
Pugh & McCormack, confectioners.
Shatz Frank, blacksmith.
Skavlin P H, confectioner.
Smith Mrs J, hotel.
Swartz George, wagonmaker.
Sydal Frank, harnessmaker.
Symmes W S, physician.
Tabler Dale, flour mill.
Turton Thomas, physician.
Viers D S, harnessmaker.
Walker Rev A B, (Methodist.)
Walker S T, lawyer.
Yates Abram, groceries and hardware.



CENTRE. A village of 45 inhabitants, settled in 1870 and located on North Caney river, in the northern part of Chautauqua county, 8 miles from Sedan, the county seat, and 3o from Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston R. R., its nearest shipping point. It contains a grist mill, 2 churches-Methodist and Baptist, and a public school The chief exports are live stock, wool and wheat. Daily mail. Aaron Lamb, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Andrews J, physician.
Anst & Hurt, flour mill.
Centre grist mill.
Crandle C, physician.
Lamb Aaron, General Store.
Murphy Mark, wagonmaker.
Sprague Allen, cooper.
Walters Charles Bro, hotel.
Wapser Frank, grindstone factory.
Waters Rev W L (Methodist).



CLOVERDALE. A hamlet settled in 1870, located on Big Caney river in the northwestern part of Chautauqua county, 20 miles from Sedan the county seat and 150 from Topeka. Ship to Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston R. R. It contains a grist mill run by water power, and a district school. Principal exports, grain and live stock. Tri-weekly mail. Population 20. D A McKee, postmaster and general store.



ELGIN. A postoffice recently established in the extreme southern part of Chautauqua county, about 6 miles from Sedan, the county seat.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Getman L G, general store.
Newell T J, grocer, etc.



FARMERSBURG. On Salt creek in the northeastern part of Chautauqua county was settled in 1870, and is a place of about 40 population. It is 12 miles from Sedan the county seat. Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston R. R., is its nearest shipping point. Exports, grain and live stock. Mail is received 4 times per week. D. M. Woodworth, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Melvin D, general store and hotel.
Woodworth D M, Wagonmaker.
Zearing Dr G W, druggist.



FULDA. A postoffice located in the southwestern part of the county.



GRAFTON. A village of 160 population settled in 1870, located on North Caney river in the northeastern part of Chautauqua county, 5 miles from Sedan the county seat, 25 from Independence the nearest R. R. station, and 184 by rail from Topeka. It contains a saw mill, 2 grist mills, a Methodist church and district school, and ships considerable wheat. Stage to Elk Falls. Semi-weekly mail James Hurt, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Adkins Granville, teacher.
Aust J H, saw and grist mill.
Brooks Edman, physician.
Caites John, drayman.
Crandall Perry, physician.
Denick A J, saw and grist mill.
Frost F M, blacksmith.
Hurt James, Live Stock.
Hurt Rev J, (Methodist.)
Murphy M. grist mill.
Narron John, machinist.
Rhoades J, general store.
Robins W S, dealer in dry hides.
Schofield George E, machinist.
Severn L C, druggist.
Stokes S S, saloon.
Wheeler E T, machinist.
Wheeler Nathan, Lawyer.



HART'S MILL. A postoffice recently established at a small settlement southern central part of Chautuaqua county, 12 miles southwest of Sedan, the county seat.



JONESBURGH. A hamlet recently settled, located on Hickory creek, in the southeastern part of Chautauqua county, 10 miles from the county seat, and 30 from Independence, the nearest station. Stage semi-weekly to Coffeyville. Mail 4 times a week. J. C. White, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY
Jones H V, blacksmith and wagonmaker.
White J C, general store



LISBON. A place of 25 population, laid out in the spring of 1870, and located on Big Caney river, in the southwestern part of Chautauqua county, 17 miles from Sedan, the county seat, and 50 from Independence, the nearest station. It contains a saw and corn mill, and ships live stock. Semi-weekly mail. J. M. Brown, postmaster.



LOWE. A hamlet on Middle Caney creek, in the central part of Chautauqua county, 8 miles from Sedan, the county seat, and 35 from Independence, on the Leavenworth, Lawrence and Galveston R. R., the nearest shipping point. Exports, live stock and country produce. Tri-weekly mail. F. C. Varner, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY
Doty William, carpenter and blacksmith.
Varner V C, general store.



MATANZAS. A thriving village located on Little Caney river, in the southeast corner of Chautauqua county, 16 miles from the county seat, and 25 from Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence Galveston R. R., its nearest shipping point. It contains a combined grist and saw mill, and a district school, which is also used as a place of worship by the United Brethren. Wheat in large quantities and live stock form the principal exports. Stage to Independence. Express, American. Daily mail. Settled 1870. Population 150. J. C. Ross, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Bennett & Thorp, millers.
Campbell B C, stock dealers.
Carry John, blacksmith.
Edwards J W, stock dealer.
Harris B V, gunsmith.
Hoffman Samuel, inventor.
Robinson Rev J J, (United Brethren.)
Ross Mrs H D. general store, express and station agent.
Ross Rev J C, (United Brethern).
Tames Thomas, wagonmaker.
Ward G W, hotel.



METZ. A small village, settled in 1870, and located on Bee creek in the southern part of Chautauqua county, 12 miles from Sedan, the county seat, and 18 from Independence, on the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston R. R., the nearest shipping point. Weekly mail. James Nicholas, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Blake Rev John, (Methodist).
Brown H, general store.
Coberley Rev O P, (United Brethren).
Graham Thomas, physician.
Nicholas Rev James D, (Methodist).
Sharplis John, physician.



MOUNT VERNON. A postoffice in the northeastern part of Chautauqua county, 7 miles from Sedan the county seat.



PERU. A place of 250 population, settled in 1870 and located on Little Caney creek in the southeastern part of Chautauqua county, 7 miles from Sedan, the county seat and 30 from Independence on the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Gulf R. R., the nearest shipping point. It contains a flour mill, Methodist church (but no building). and a district school, and has a newspaper, the Chautauqua News. The chief exports are corn, live stock, game and hay. Stage to Independence. Mail daily. Samuel P. Moore, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Blanchard Levi carpenter.
Brook N, hotel.
Closson W J, general store.
Endicott J M, physician.
Floyd William Physician
Hoadley C F, saloon.
Howden A, dry goods and groceries.
Hunt A P, druggist
Inglefield C H, hardware and stoves.
Keeny D B, undertaker.
Locke Rev I N, (Congregational).
McPherson James, physician.
Milton James, Lawyer.
Moore S P, lawyer.
Moore Son, editors of Chautauqua News, stationery, notions. Norris Son, flour mill.
Norton H, harnessmaker.
Nowlen Rev J A, (Methodist Episcopal).
Oakes Isaac, Harnessmaker.
Sigman E, blacksmith.
Sipple C B, physician.
Sterns J D, Physician.
Thomas F, general store.



SEDAN. An incorporated village of about 500 souls, in Sedan township, 3 miles southeast of the centre of Chautauqua county, of which it is the seat. It is situated on Middle Caney creek, a very good stream for power, which is not used. The nearest railroad station is Independence, 30 miles distant. Topeka, in a direct line to the northeast, is 130 miles distant. The place was settled in 1865, has a graded school and 2 primary schools. Ships wheat, hogs and cattle, has a flouring and saw mill run by steam, is a depot for a branch of the Adams Express Company, and has daily mail communication by stage. A. H. King, postmaster.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY.
Angell George, harnessmaker.
Baughman Rev Daniel, (United Brethren.)
Bronson T G, hotel.
Crouse J I, general store.
Deckman Chas, restaurant.
Endicott J M, physician.
Gitman L P, general store.
Heinbaugh R, tinner.
Hibbard & Lee, flour and saw mill.
King A H, Books and Notions.
Lewis J E, druggist and express agent.
Light M B, lawyer.
McBrian J D, (Christian.)
McHugh C W, physician (Eclectic.)
Nowlan Rev J, (Methodist.)
Peckham C J, lawyer.
Primer J W, furniture.
Rhoads Joseph, blacksmith.
Roseler & Comer, builders.
Selter Joseph, hotel.
Sheek W F, physician (eclectic.)
Sitter Joseph, hotel and livery.
St Clair Robert, lawyer.
Tulloss J K, General Store.
Turner L L & Co, bankers.
Watkins G A, hotel.
Webb M C, general store.
Wilson John, livery.



SPRING CREEK. In Centre township, on Middle Caney creek, near the center of Chautauqua county, 5 miles from Sedan, the county seat.

BUSINESS DIRECTORY
Brewster A P, saw mill.



Return to Chautauqua Co. KHHP



2003 - 2013 Kansas History and Heritage Project