Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Hosted by RootsWeb, 
the oldest & largest FREE genealogical site. 
Click here to visit RootsWeb.
COMANCHE COUNTY, KANSAS: HISTORY & GENEALOGY
Bibliography     Biography     Cemeteries     Churches    Cities & Towns     Clubs     Contributors     Diamond Jubilee    Events     FAQ     Genealogy     Guest Book - Sign     Guest Book - View     History     Links     Maps     News Articles     Newspapers     Opry     Photos     Poetry     Queries     Records     Resources    Satellite Images     Schools     Search     Veterans     HOME


The Western Star, March 21, 1913.

DEDICATION EXERCISES

NEW CHRISTIAN CHURCH in WILMORE DEDICATED on LAST SUNDAY
MANY PEOPLE FROM THIS CITY ATTENDED


The dedication of the new Christian church in Wilmore on last Sunday was the occasion for a great gathering of people in that city. The program for the day was carried out about as has been published. At the Bible School Rally, which began at 10 o'clock a.m., 110 persons were present. That was a splendid start for the day. At 11 o'clock a.m., the morning preaching and dedication exercises began. The sermon was preached by Elder R.H. Tanksley of Protection, who is also serving the Christian church. The words from Scripture which he used as a text were, "Let us build." The sermon was a practical presentation of gospel truth and was listened to with marked attention. Following the sermon the announcement was made that the sum of $1,356 was needed before the church could be dedicated free from debt. When the call was made for, subscriptions responses came rapidly and heartily. In about 40 minutes time the sum of $2,047.18 was raised. It was a remarkable record for money raising. The people seemed to realize that in giving to such a worthy cause they were doing that which would not only be a blessing to them in return, but also a blessing to the entire community, for indeed a well established church is a blessing to any city or community. The people of Wilmore and vicinity were especially loyal and the way in which many of them responded is truly commendable. The Greensburg Christian Church sent a $50.00 bill and the people of Coldwater and vicinity who were present contributed over $100. There was reason for rejoicing when the result was announced. Much credit is due to the faithful services of the pastor and to some of the members who gave of their time and means so liberally. When the amount asked for had been more than raised, Elder Tankersly proceeded with the dedication exercises, following which all, or nearly all, assembled at Fisher's Hall where dinner was served and greatly enjoyed.

At 2:30 p.m. quite a number again assembled at the church to listen to short addresses of various friends of the church and to attend the communion service. Brief, but quite interesting talks were made by: J.E. Wright, T.R. Berrey, C.S. Embree, Rev. A. Burrill, Rev. E.A. Powell, W.H. Long, Chas. Testerman, Mrs. J.E. Wright, O.P. Snare, Dr. M. Averill, Rev. Archie Embree, Grandma Emery, Mrs. Frank Zelleken, Mrs. E. Heflin, J.T. Testerman, Cliff Wood, Mrs. Cliff Wood, and others. Elder W.E. Babb of this city conducted the communion service.

At 7:30 p.m. the church was again crowded. Elder Tankersly preached a thoroughly evangelistic sermon. Good music was provided, but unfortunately Prof. Ridenour's voice was not in a condition to sing very much. A solo by Miss Urso Mahan was greatly enjoyed. At the evening services $100 more was raised, which brought the total amount raised during the day up to $2,147.18. Since Sunday other contributions have been received and the total is now close to $2,500. That is almost beyond the expectations of the most sanguine. Thus ample funds are provided with which to pay for all the claims against the building and the fixtures and also to leave the church a nice little sum as surplus with which to start other improvements. The total cost of the building and fixtures so far has been about $3,600.

The Wilmore Christian Ladies Aid deserves special mention for the faithful work done and for its services in the way of providing for the piano, pulpit, carpet, individual communion service, etc. The society also made a very liberal contribution on dedication day.

It was in every respect a great day for Wilmore. The attendance at all the services was quite large, the seating capacity of the church being too small to accommodate all who were assembled and who were anxious to hear the exercises. Especially was this true at the morning service. Probably 75 persons attended from Coldwater. The attendance from Protection and Greensburg was not very large.

-- The Western Star, March 21, 1913. From Ollie Hackney's Clipping Collection, courtesy of her grand-daughter, Bobbi (Hackney) Huck.


Also see:

Report of the Wilmore Church of Christ, August 23, 1953.


The following RootsWeb Visitors Counter began counting on 15 June 2008.


This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book.

This page was created 31 Oct 2003.