Evergreen Cemetery is located about two and one-half miles south of Emporia, Kansas, on the east side of Highway 99, south of Road 140. The legal description is: NE 1/4, Section 34, Township 19, Range 11 E.
The land upon which the original cemetery was deeded to the trustees of the Dry Creek Cemetery and their successors, by Edward EVANS , and Daniel R. JONES , in 1871 - 1872. However, the earliest burials were those of members of the William L. MORGAN family, in 1858. The father William L. MORGAN died September 21, 1858, and his wife Hannah MORGAN , died September 19, 1858. Joseph, their son died September 21, 1858, and Margaret their daughter followed October 15, 1858.
On January 18, 1917, the trustees purchased two acres of land from Mrs. Ellen CANNADY. May 15, 1936, after the Salem church building had burned and the church organization had been dissolved, the Presbyterian Synod deeded to the trustees of the cemetery the land nearby which had been deeded to the trustees of the Salem Church by, Daniel R. JONES in 1870.
For many years, the Evergreen burial ground was known as the Lower Dry Creek Cemetery. Then the name was changed, and the present one chosen because of the numerous evergreens on the plot. The present Evergreen Cemetery Association is incorporated, and burials continue to take place there. During the early years, few records were kept, and recent records are fairly complete.
Evergreen and Greenwood Cemeteries are still known to many as Lower and Upper Dry Creek Cemeteries. These two cemeteries were the chief burial places of the considerable group of early Welsh in Lyon County, who settled in the area just south of Emporia.