FROST CEMETERY



North and some west of Emporia, about nine and one half miles, (Section 21, Township 17, Range 11, 1/2 mile east on Road J between Road 270 and Road 280) lies a rather deserted little burying ground, called the Frost Cemetery. It is on land formally owned by the FROST family.

There are some very old graves therein. The oldest date found on the stones still standing are August 6, 1860, the death date of a three year old child Harvey A. SCHULTZ . Another, for a man named Nathaniel OGDEN who died in his 48th year. The date is Feb. 8, 1861. The last burial seems to have been in 1944, and the one preceding that is 1937. Members of the FROST family are now using the Americus Cemetery for their burial ground, as it is well kept.

It is well to have in mind that when Kansas people talk of dates being old, they mean they are old for Kansas dates. The first white man to establish a home away from an Indian Trading Post in Kansas was one Charles WITHINGTON , Lyon County's first settler, and the year was 1854.

The Flint Hills Genealogical Society cleaned up Frost Cemetery in 2006, fixing toppled stones. To view before and after pictures of this project, click here.

Source of information is D.A.R. Readings in the 1940's; and the Flint Hills Genealogical Society Readings in 1989 and 2006. Mistakes may have been made, but every effort was made to make out the information on the stones. Not all headstones may be still be standing, as there have been some vandalism and natural forces through the years.



View Larger Map

  

Frost Cemetery Transcriptions and Pictures

Back to Cemetery Home Page

Back to FHGS Home Page





Last Updated Tuesday, 12-Jun-2012 20:19:16 MDT

2543 Visitors since May 10, 2010