The Haworth Cemetery is located just north of Road 150 on Road C, southwest of Emporia in Section 21, Township 19, Range 10, Lyon County, Kansas. It is one of the earliest plots of land given for cemetery purposes in the county. It is beautifully kept up.
Further descrition of the plot would be that it was presented to the public for burial purposes by Joel HAWORTH on land within his original claim taken up in 1864 or 1865, along the Cottonwood River. This territory was originally situated in Madison County. (The northern end of Madison County later became a part of Lyon County.)
Joel HAWORTH, was the first and probably the most valuable settler in this part of the Cottonwood Valley. His home, a large impressive house built from native lumber sawed at the HAWORTH sawmill on the homestead, still stands (at the time of this writing) on a hill called Haworth Hill about one fourth mile to the south and across the road from the cemetery.
Mr. HAWORTH was a friend of the Negro and conducted an under ground railway station for the fleeing salves in their attempt to reach a northern state. Undoubted Mr. HAWORTH was among those few who met with John BROWN on his visit to the town of Emporia, a meeting held at the home the STORRS family.
A daughter of Joel and Sarah McKEE HAWORTH , Mrs. Pheobe HAWORTH ROTH , said that her parents moved to this site when she was a baby in the fall or winter of 1854, but early written records do not verity this statement. Jacob STOTLER in his County Atlas of 1878 on page 1 writes, "Other settlers in 1855 were Joesph HADLEY , William H. EIKENBERRY and Joel HAWORTH ".
Considerable history of the settlement of any community may be brought to mind as its cemetery records are compiled. Together with the Haworth cemetery tombstone inscriptions these might be added such as, John Pike McPHERSON , from North Carolina was a soldier in the war of 1812; PHENIS and JACOBS Creeks were both named for Soloman PHENIS and Gabriel JACOBS , who in the year 1866 together with Isaac COX and David ROTH homesteaded near by.
A son in law of N.W. KIRKENDALL was the first school teacher this the county. His school being a log cabin built for the purpose just south of where the LOCKERMAN bridge now is. Neil CAMPBELL , Malcom CAMPBELL , and Rev. L. M. HARRIS settled in the valley the same year as did "Nat" KIRKENDALL , the year of 1857.
W.T. SODEN , whose first wife and child are buried in Haworth Cemetery was employed by Mr. HAWORTH in his mill, and after it burnt down, Mr. SODEN came to Emporia and founded the Emporia Flour Mill.
The first death recorded on the tombstones in Haworth Cemetery is that of Samuel EGRET , who died March 6, 1856. There are many unmarked graves and there exists a possibility that earlier burial may have been made. The second death recorded on makers was that of William PHILLIPS , Oct. 17, 1857. Next, Sarah Eliza, wife and infant daughter Lodemia J., of Rev. L. M. HARRIS , both dying in Sept. 1858. Three native stones stand erect on which are hand cut names and dates in 1858 and 1859 testifying to the date of the cemetery, and the lack of commercial articles which existed in all early Kansas settlements.
In an interview, Mrs. Charles MAYES , grand daughter of Joel HAWORTH , stated that to her knowledge no one ever paid her grandparents for any of the lots in the cemetery. Also, that in the family Bible of Joel HAWORTH the name was always spelled HAWORTH and not HAYWORTH .
The property on which the cemetery stands was later owned by John PIPER , and at the time of this writing was in the procession of the Will JACOBS family. In the 1930's the Cemetery was transferred to the Lyon County, and the grounds are well taken care of.
Haworth Cemetery Headstones Readings and Photos
Back to Cemetery Home PageBack to FHGS Home Page
2759 Visitors since May 10, 2010