Ivy or Waterloo Cemetery is situated in Section 35, Township 16, Range 12, and consists of two acres in two parcels of land. It can be found is about three and one-half miles southeast of Admire, Kansas.
On the eleventh day of November, 1864, Christopher WARD deeded to the Waterloo Cemetery Association one acre, in square form, in the southwest corner of the northwest quarter of above stated section.
In 1879, on the 25th day of September, Jonathan C. SWEENEY and wife of Calhoun County, Michigan, sold to Waterloo Cemetery Association for the sum of $12.50 for one square acre, located in the northwest corner of the southwest quarter of Section 35, Township 16, Range 12. These two acres lie together with but the cemetery driveway between them. The main highway is to the west. Cemetery is enclosed with a high fencing and is well kept. The words "Ivy Cemetery", may be seen in the arch over the entrance to the driveway.
Officers of the first Association were Theodore PUTNAM , President, who held the office for twenty one years; Clarence PAINE , Secretary and Lee BEST , Treasurer.
The earliest date on a monument in the cemetery is that of Stephen WARD , who died Aug. 25, 1857.
Ivy Cemetery, as it is now called, is at the present (1941) under the maintenance of the Ivy Township Board of Ivy Township, Lyon County, Kansas. The Cemetery is still active.
Back to Cemetery Home PageBack to FHGS Home Page
Last Updated Sunday, 31-Oct-2010 14:02:07 MDT
1725 Visitors since May 10, 2010