Reading, named for Reading, Pennsylvania, is located twenty miles northeast of Emporia, Kansas, on part of what was the Sac and Fox Indian Reservation.
Incorporation papers for the town of Reading were filed March 19, 1872. On August 5, 1860 the deed was recorded by which Martha A. STRATTON and Hannah W. STRATTON of Reading, Kansas transferred the NE 1/4 of the of the NE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section 4, Township 18, Range 13, containing 10 acres, "to be used forever under the Charter of the Reading Cemetery Association of Reading, Kansas, by its Trustees and their successors in office."
The earliest legible date on a monument in the cemetery is that of Lizzie D., daughter of G.W. and E.L. COWDEN , who died September 24, 1878, aged 1 year, 7 months, 5 days.
The cemetery is well kept and still in use.
View Larger Map
Reading Cemetery, west of Reading, KS on Highway 170
Reading Cemetery Headstone Readings
Back to Cemetery Home Page
2979 Visitors since January 22, 2013