The Mount Hope Cemetery, also known as ROSEAN Cemetery, is located in Secton 36, Township 17, Range 11, nearly ten miles to the NE of Emporia, Kansas, east of the intersection of Road M and Road 260. GPS coordinates N 38.53446 and W -96.14666
One acre of land was deeded to the Cemetery Association on February 13, 1871 by Carl and Millie SCHEEL . Carl SCHEEL came to the locality in 1858.
According to the story as read from the tombstone inscriptions, John H. ROSEAN , who died in 1859, at the age of 78 years, must have been one of the oldest men to come to the county of Breckenridge (now Lyon County). He would be born in 1781. Mary his wife died in 1871 and child of theirs was buried in 1868. It was the ROSEAN family that the cemetery was called.
T. J. HILL , died in March of 1868 and his wife Malinda died Nov. 22, 1866. All dates much earlier than the date given in the recorded deed.
The SAYLORS, HILL , and KURSON families were early settlers. Fred KURSON came in 1858 and was a driver on the old Burlingame Trail.
The old District No. 37 School House stood in front of the Cemetery, which is still well kept.
Click here for an old hand-drawn map of the Rosean Cemetery.
Back to Cemetery Home Page