Wilhite Cemetery - Lyon County, Kansas

Emporia Township

Wilhite Cemetery is located in a pasture west of Road P between Roads 150 and 160 4 1/2 miles east of Highway 99 and 2 miles south of Interstate 35 near Emporia in Emporia Township, Lyon County, Kansas, Section 19, Township 19, Range 12. The small cemetery is on private ground and is not necessarily viewable from the road. Drive down private driveway to the end of the driveway, then continue walking west on the north side of the trees, around the metal barn, with the cemetery on the south side of the trees. The walking might be equivalent to three city blocks. The cemetery is on land that was owned by Albert Wilhite. In May 1979, Mrs. Harry Fowler, Jr and the Logan Avenue 4-H Club cleaned up the grounds, built a fence around the graves, straightened the stones and copied the inscriptions.

Other sources of information are the D.A.R. Readings in the 1940's and the Flint Hills Genealogical Society Readings in the 1980's. The D.A.R. put the earliest known reading together and some of the stones they read are now gone, so it was important to use their work along with the current information. Mistakes may have been made, but every effort was made to make out the information on the stones. Not all headstones may be still be standing, as there have been some vandalism and natural forces through the years.

Map of Wilhite Cemetery

View Larger Map


Wilhite Cemetery transcriptions and photos

Back to Cemetery Home Page



Last Updated Tuesday, 22-Jan-2013 10:05:40 MST
658 Visitors since December 29, 2012