Search billions of records on Ancestry.com


McPherson County Directories
Polk's 1878 Kansas Gazetteer and Business Directory


BATTLE HILL.

A postoffice located in the northeastern part of McPherson county, 16 miles from McPherson the county seat, 28 miles from Salina on the Kansas Pacific Ry the nearest shipping point, and 146 from Topeka. Small quantities of wheat, corn and pork are exported. Stage to Salina 4 times per week, carrying the mail. Mary M. Patten, postmistress.



BONNEVILLE.

Sometimes called Bonaville, a village of 50 population, settled in 1873, and located in the northern part of McPherson county, 16 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 22 from Salina, the nearest shipping point, and 140 from Topeka. The chief exports are wheat and broom corn. Weekly stage to Lindsborg and Marion Centre, carrying the mail. J. M. Itten, postmaster.



CALMAR.

A farming settlement located on Smoky Hill river in the northwest corner of McPherson county, 18 miles from McPherson the county seat, 12 from Brookville on the Kansas Pacific Ry the nearest shipping point, and 145 from Topeka. It contains a Methodist Episcopal church and public school, and exports grain, broom corn, castor beans, and live stock. Stage to Ellsworth and Marion centre. Mail 4 times per week. Bell Parker, postmaster.

Claypool James, farmer.
Connor John, (Methodist.)
Hopkins W, farmer.
Kopp John, farmer.
Lynch P F, justice of the peace.
Norris Samuel, constable.
Norris Stephen, farmer.
Norton G N, live stock.
Parker J M, farmer.
Tott Charles, farmer.



CANTON.

A country village, settled in 1873 and located on North Cottonwood river, in the eastern part of McPherson county, 14 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 26 from Newton on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe R. R., the nearest shipping point, and 160 by rail from Topeka. It contains a Baptist church and district school. and ships grain. Stage to Ellsworth: Semi-weekly mail. John E. Morris, postmaster.

George W H, physician.
Jones Rev J W (Presbyterian.)
Murphy John, general store.
Ottis Rev H S (Baptist)
Thornbury James, teacher.



CHRISTIAN.

A place of about 30 population, settled in 1876 and located in the southeast corner of McPherson county, 18 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 12 1/2 from Halsted, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., its nearest shipping point, and 155 from Topeka. Grain is the chief export. Stage to McPherson and Newton. Daily mail. Daniel Krehbiel, postmaster.

Ellenberger Christian, blacksmith.
Krehbiel Daniel, General Store.
Krehbiel Rev. Valentine, (Mennonite).



DELMORE.

A small village settled in 1874, and containing a population of about 50. It is located on Gypsum creek, in the northeastern part of McPherson county, 1 5 miles from McPherson, the county seat, and 142 from Topeka Salina, on the Kansas Pacific Ry, 24 miles distant, is the nearest station. Principal shipments, grain, live stock and broom corn. Stage to Roxbury, McPherson, Ellsworth and Marion Centre. Tri-weekly mail. George W. Wyman, postmaster.

Hall Rev George W (United Brethren).
Hutton Rev J P O (United Brethren)



EDEN PRAIRIE.

A hamlet settled in 1865, located on the south branch of Sharp creek in the western part McPherson county, 11 miles from McPherson, the county seat. Ship to Salina, on the Kansas, Pacific Ry, or to Hutchinson, on the Atchison, Topeka Santa Fe R. R. Grain is the chief product of this section. Stage to Salina, Hutchinson, Ellsworth and McPherson. John Graham, postmaster.



EMPIRE.

A village located on Turkey creek, in the central part of McPherson county, 9 1/2 miles from McPherson, the county seat. 30 from Newton, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., its nearest shipping point, and 164 from Topeka. It contains 3 churches, Congregational, Methodist and Christian, and a common school. Exports, grain, live stock and country produce. Stage to Newton. Semi-weekly mail. Settled 1871. Population, 40. G. E. Foster, postmaster.

Fairhurst B, General Store.
Haskins Rev B F (Congregational).
Haskins M H, physician.
Turner S B, general store.



FARLAND.

A postoffice located in the southern part of McPherson county, 18 miles from McPherson the county seat, 15 from Hutchinson the nearest railroad station, and 182 from Topeka. It contains a district school and ships farm produce. Stage to McPherson and Hutchinson. Tri-weekly mail. Sarah A. Geer, postmistress.

Lewis James S, physician.



FARMS.

A hamlet located on Sand creek, in the southeastern part of McPherson county, 15 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 18 from Halstead on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe R. R., the nearest shipping point, and 161 from Topeka. Weekly mail. J. P. Casper, postmaster.



GROVELAND.

A postoffice located in the southern part of McPherson county, 8 miles from McPherson, the county seat. Stage to McPherson and Hutchinson. Daily mail. John T. Taylor, postmaster.

Mitchell Rev Samuel, (Methodist).
Persinger A St, physician.
Silkey John, gunsmith.



HICO.

A rural district located on Smoky Hill river, in the northern part of McPherson county, about 12 miles from McPherson, the county seat.



KING CITY.

A hamlet settled in 1871, located on Turkey creek, in the southern central part of McPherson county, 8 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 20 from Halstead, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest shipping point, and 148 from Topeka. Principal exports, wheat. Stage to Newton. Daily mail. John J. Burlingame, postmaster.

Burlingame J J, General Store.
Loomis W H, grocer and harnessmaker.



LAKE VIEW.

A postoffice located in the southern part of McPherson county, 15 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 18 from Halstead, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest shipping point, and 161 from Topeka. The exports are chiefly agricultural products. Stage to McPherson and Newton. Tri-weekly mail. A. S. Eastlick, Postmaster.

Moffatt James T, physician.



LILLY.

A village of 40 population, settled in 1873 and located in the eastern part of McPherson county, 13 miles from McPherson, the county seat, and 28 from Halstead, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest station. It contains 2 churches, Methodist and Baptist, and a common school. Wheat is the staple product of the neighborhood. Stage to Ellsworth. Semi-weekly mail. Mrs. Gabrella Wood, postmistress.

Cully B, farmer.
Cunningham H, constable.
Hall George, carpenter.
Harrison G M, farmer.
Harrison M M, farmer.
Hudson R S, farmer.
Harrison William, farmer.
Hockett C C, farmer.
Hockett S H, justice of the peace.
Hollern T O, farmer.
Hutton Rev J P O.
Kirkpatrick William, teacher.
Leord S F, farmer.
Phillips B, farmer.
Pickering S K, blacksmith.
Power D K T, physician.
Powers R T, teacher.
Pray John, general store.
Reaves J A, farmer.
Reaves William, farmer.
Russell John, lawyer.
Russell J H, farmer.
Ryno A B, stone mason.
Ryno G D, stone mason.
Servertson G, farmer.
Servertson Ole, farmer.
Servertson S, farmer.
Smith C H, carpenter.
Smith T B, farmer.
Williams C, farmer.
Williams H, farmer.
Williams M J, farmer.
Williams Robert, farmer.
Wood E, farmer.



LINDSBORG.

A settlement formed in 1870, on Smoky Hill river, in the northwestern part of McPherson county, 15 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 22 from Salina, on the Kansas Pacific Ry, its nearest shipping point, with which it has stage communication, and 118 from Topeka. It contains a combined saw and grist mill, 3 churches-2 Lutheran and 1 Methodist, -all Swedish- and a public school. Shipments, wheat and broom corn. Daily mail. Population, 125. W. J. Henry, postmaster.

Anderson L F, furniture.
Blau B, hotel and livery.
Blau Mrs L, millinery and dressmaking.
Carlson & Johnson, General store.
Christian Jacob, hardware and farm implements.
Christian J, blacksmith.
Curtis J B, physician.
Curtis S Y, druggist and physician.
Engstrum Rev A G, (Methodist).
Gallaghen John, harnessmaker.
Gallaghen Mrs J, dressmaker.
Hendrickson T, blacksmith.
Henry, W J, hotel.
Hohn, A G, boots and shoes.
Johnson, C J, saw and flour mill.
Landgren A B, boots and shoes.
Rhoades S, butcher.
Rundstrum John, physician.
Selin Rev T E, (Lutheran).
Skancke & Heggelund, general store.
Staff Rev E G, (Free Lutheran).
Stevenson N P, hardware and farm implements.
Welin J A, blacksmith.



MARQUETTE.

Was settled in 1873, and numbers about 100 inhabitants It is located on Smoky Hill river, in the northwestern part of McPherson county, 18 miles from McPherson, the county seat, and 146 from Topeka. Ship to Brookville, on the Kansas Pacific Ry, 16 miles distant. It contains a grist mill, saw mill and district school. The chief exports are flour, wheat, broom corn and castor beans. Stage semi-weekly to Ellsworth, Lindsborg and Hutchinson, and daily to Salina. Daily mail. I. A. Foster, postmaster.

Agley Philip, boots and shoes.
Bacon Bros, flour and saw mill.
Bacon H S, hotel.
Ball J H, blacksmith and wagonmaker.
Darrah S J, hardware and farm implements.
Foster J A, General Store.
Foster J E, drugs and stationery.
Mock S D, drugs and paints.
Munger J C, agent for sale of organs.
Rector J L, physician.
Rector Mrs J L, music teacher.
Sanberg C, music teacher.
Swenson B C, blacksmith.
Womack T J, teacher.



McPHERSON.

The county seat of McPherson county is a village of about 300 inhabitants, settled in 1873, and located 1 1/2 miles from the centre of the county, 40 south of Salina, on the Kansas, Pacific Ry, and 30 northwest of Newton, on the A. T. & S. F. R. R., to either of which shipments of goods may be made. Stage to Salina and Newton daily and to Barton and Hutchinson tri-weekly. Wheat is the staple product and leading shipment. Mail, daily. William. C. West, postmaster.

Aldrich Chauncy, wagonmaker.
Barnes J Q, general store.
Bowker C B, lawyer.
Bull Robert, grocer.
Claflin Rev G P, (Congregational).
Day J O, physician and druggist.
Ferin Charles, county attorney.
George Wm H, physician.
Gleason Mrs W, milliner.
Gleason & Turner, livery stable.
Heggelund O, general store.
Hill John W, justice of the peace.
Hogwell A, county treasurer.
Hughes J T, register of deeds.
Hill John W, justice of the peace.
Knapp C H, district clerk.
Leonard J, county surveyor.
Lindsay D P, lawyer.
McClintock George W, publisher McPherson Independent.
McCourt G L, harness mnfr.
Murphy & Day, druggists.
Peirce C E, sheriff.
Profitt Rev J R, (Baptist).
Rose Rev -, (Methodist).
Russell Rev -, (Christian).
Simpson M P, lawyer.
Smith B E, hotel propr and Probate judge.
Wright J R, county clerk.



MONITOR.

The postoffice of a farming community which settled here in 1873, located in the southwestern part of McPherson county, 11 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 18 from Hutchinson, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., its nearest shipping point, and 127 by wagon road or 185 by rail from Topeka. The district school serves also as a Congregational church Principal exports, grain and live stock. Mail 4 times per week. M. S. Buckman, postmaster.

Claflin Rev G B, (Congregational).



NEW GOTTLAND.

A postoffice established in 1870, in the central part of McPherson county, 6 1/2 miles from McPherson, the county seat It contains a Swedish Lutheran church and district school. Salina, on the Kansas, Pacific Ry, is the nearest station, from which the broom corn and grain of the neighborhood is shipped. Stage to Salina and Newton. Daily mail. John Almyren, postmaster.



ROXBURY.

In Gypsum Creek township, northeastern part of McPherson county, about 20 miles from the county seat.



SHARP’S CREEK.

On Sharp’s creek, in Union township, northwest quarter of McPherson county, about 30 miles north of Burton, on the A., T. & S. F. R. R.



SMOKY HILL.

A postoffice and small settlement of farmers in McPherson county, about 15 miles from McPherson the county seat.



SPARTA.

A postoffice in the southern part of McPherson county, in Turkey Creek township, 12 miles from McPherson, the county seat,and about the same distance from Burrton, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., its nearest shipping point. Semi-weekly mail. Emily A. Prior, postmistress.



SPRING VALLEY.

A small village located on Emmet creek, in the southeastern part of McPherson county, 18 miles from McPherson, the county seat, 20 from Newton, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest station, and 154 from Topeka. Grain is the chief product Weekly mail. Settled 1871. Population, 30. P. J. Schermerhorn, postmaster.

Baer T, blacksmith.
Minturn Rev D W, (Methodist).
Reasoner F N, physician.
Schermerhorn Bros, general Store.



SUPERIOR.

A postoffice established in 1874 in the southwestern part of Pherson county, 12 miles from McPherson, the county seat, and 18 from Hutchinson, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest shipping point. Exports chiefly grain and hogs. Stage to McPherson and Hutchinson. Daily mail. J. A Eakins, postmaster.



SWEADALE.

In Union township, northwestern part of McPherson county, 2 miles east of Hico, and about 15 miles south of Salina, a station on the Kansas Pacific R. R.



WESTFIELD.

In McPherson township, in the county of the same name, 8 miles from the county seat. Hutchinson, the most convenient railroad point, is distant 25 miles. Mails, twice per week by horseback. C. O. Spencer, postmaster.



WHEATLAND.

A postoffice located in the western part of McPherson county, 11 mlles from McPherson, the county seat, 23 from Hutchinson, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., the nearest station, and 190 by rail from Topeka. Farm product is the chef shipment. Mail, 4 times per week. James Tudhope, postmaster.



WINNESHEIK.

A postoffice in the eastern central part of McPherson county, 10 miles from McPherson, the county seat, and midway between Salina, on the Kansas Pacific R’y, and Newton, on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R., to either of which goods should be shipped. The exports are principally wheat, broom corn and stock. Semi-weekly mail-Tuesday and Saturday. E. A. Ellingsom, postmaster.











Return to McPherson Co. KHHP



This website created June 25, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2016 Kansas History and Heritage Project