Riley County History
"Riley County--Blue Ribbon County of Kansas," 1881
The Men of Manhattan, "The Beautiful City", part 3
J. F. GARDNER.
DEALER IN ICE.
Mr. Gardner was born in Ohio in
1818, where he lived until he was twelve
years of age. His father died before he
was born, and he was early thrown
upon his own resources.
In 1831, he, with his mother, removed
to New York. During the summer he
worked upon the farm, while the winter months were spent in the school
room, when their finances would permit. They removed to Barre, Massachusetts in 1835, to Gardner in 1836 and
to Fitchburg in 1838.
Mr. Gardner had learned the chair
making trade and commenced the
manufacture of chairs at Fitchburg,
which was then a place of about twelve
hundred inhabitants and now numbers
upward of sixty thousand. He accumulated considerable property, while
engaged in this business. In 1846, he
married a lady in New York, and they
have had five children born to them.
Mr. Gardner came to Manhattan in
1856 (his family remaining at Fitchburg), and engaged quite extensively
in traffic in real estate and city lots.
He was here at the first organization
of our city government, and was Manhattan's first City Marshal, in 1857,
which position he resigned in the fall
of that year and returned to Massachusetts.
He came to Kansas once more before
the war broke out, but again returned
to Fitchburg when President Lincoln
issued his first call for troops, and enlisted in the twenty-fifth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers, and served
through the war. This regiment formed a part of the Grand Army of the
Potomac, was attached to Burnside's
division and participated in the storming and capture of Roanoke, Goldsborough, and the other engagements of
They formed a part of Grant's forces,
in his memorable campaign, "when he
marched the boys to Richmond from
the guarded Rapidan." At the battle
of Cold Harbor his regiment went into
the fight seven hundred strong, and
but eighty men lived to answer the
long roll call after that bloody contest.
Mr. Gardner was wounded, but not seriously, on that day.
In 1866, he removed with his family
to Manhattan, where they have resided
ever since. He is the owner of considerable real estate in this and several
other counties in the State.
He is now engaged in furnishing ice
for the city. He has a large ice house
at the foot of Poyntz avenue, with the
capacity of holding one hundred tons,
and another in the process of erection
with the same capacity. They are conveniently located on the banks of the
Blue, whose clear running waters furnish the best ice in Kansas. The ice,
after being cut into proper sized squares
or blocks, is hoisted by means of horse-power directly into the ice houses, saving a great deal of trouble and expense
which other parties who have to transport it on wagons are subject to. He
has all the modern and improved machinery for handling and cutting ice.
Ice is delivered by him to any part of
the city, morning or evening, as desired, during the warm months. He not
only supplies this city but proposes
hereafter to ship large quantities to different points, where good ice cannot be
He has an efficient assistant in his
son George, who is a hard worker and
takes a great share of the responsibility
of the business on his own shoulders.
Mr. Gardner is a warm hearted, generous man, always ready to contribute
and give assistance to the needy. His
mother, with whom he has passed
through so many trials and tribulations
in his early struggles against poverty
in his younger days, is still living, and
her old age is made happy by his kindness, and she is a sharer of his pleasant
home on Leavenworth street.
GEO. B. HIMES.
HARNESS AND SADDLE MAKER.
In the spring of 1880, Mr. Himes established himself in business in the
building formerly occupied by William
Tyrrell, and has done a rapidly increasing trade ever since.
He keeps a general stock of harness
and saddles, and all their different
parts, and the articles usually kept in
connection with them. He makes
nearly all his goods, and guarantees
them to be as represented. As a mechanic, he has no superior in central
Kansas, and cuts out the work for all
his hands himself.
In the fine of harness, Mr. Himes
can fit you out with anything you
want. He makes single harness at
any price from $10.00 to $75.00 a set, and
double harness at from $25.00 to $100.00
a set — the quality, of course, depending on the price.
He makes a specialty of saddles;
and, for the last five years, the saddles
made by him have been considered the
best that could be obtained in this
Mr. Himes also makes a specialty of
dealing in hides and furs. He is considered one of the best judges of furs in
the West, and pays for them all they
are worth. He probably buys more
hides than all other dealers in the city,
and those having anything in this
line to sell should give him a call.
Mr. Himes came to Manhattan with
his father, D. B. Himes, in 1859, when
he was a mere lad, and has grown up
in this community. He is, therefore,
widely known, and is universally admitted by all to be a stirring, industrious and upright man, whose trade
and influence must steadily increase.
He has purchased a lot on Poyntz avenue, and expects before long to erect a
stone building in which to do business.
MACHINISTS, WOOD WORKERS AND STONE CUTTERS.
These two young men, William and
Edward Ulrich, have been residents of
Manhattan for a number of years, and
have been principally engaged in stone
cutting and the erection of stone buildings.
During the summer last past, they
contracted for and built the walls of
our new Methodist church — the finest
church building in central Kansas —
the stone work of which is pronounced
equal to that of any building of the
kind in the State. As stone cutters,
they have few equals, which is shown
on the corner stone of this church, all
the cutting of which they did themselves.
As mechanics and machinists they
have been acknowledged for years to
be first class ; and they are now erecting a machine shop, on the corner of
Osage and Third street, in which they
will repair all kinds and parts of machinery, and also do some manufacturing. They will here manufacture the
Kimble pump, for which they have a
royalty contract for the State of Kansas.
These pumps are coming into general
favor, and their manufacture will be
no small item in the business interests
of this city.
The machine shop will be run by
steam, and, in connection with work in
iron, a wood lathe with scroll and slitting saws will be run, with which they
will do all kinds of scroll work, turning, etc., and manufacture such work
as is used in furnishing and finishing
the inside of churches and other public
buildings. A variety molding machine will be one of their specialties.
A machine shop has long been one
of the wants of this city, and it is very
gratifying to our citizens to know that
one is being pushed forward under
such efficient management. It is expected that a foundry will be put up
in the fall, and the capacity for doing
business enlarged as fast as the trade
demands it. There is little doubt but
that a large and flourishing business
will be done from the start. There is
an immense quantity of machinery in
this vicinity, the proper repairing of
which would keep a number of men
constantly employed, and the development of our manufacturing interests
will still farther increase it.
Hereafter, capitalists who wish to
start manufactories in Manhattan or
vicinity need not be deterred by the
want of an establishment to repair
their machinery when it gets out of
order. And we will add that they
will find the Ulrich Bros, to be thoroughly honest men as well as unusually skillful mechanics.
CONTRACTOR, BRIDGE BUILDER AND CARPENTER.
Manhattan is noted far and wide for
its excellent buildings, which are not
only substantially made but a great
many of them highly ornamental, and
show in their construction that we are
blessed with first class workmen.
Among our carpenters and builders
the name of Henry Hougham has become familiar to all our citizens, as
that of one who stands second to none
as a workman. He is a son of Prof.
Hougham, who formerly had charge
of the agricultural and chemical departments, at the Agricultural College.
He is one of those agreeable gentlemen who find it one of the easiest
things in the world to make everybody
his friend ; always being in the best
of spirits, and, without any extra exertions, making all happy who are associated with him.
He is what is termed a natural mechanic; quick in his movements, and
rapid in the completion of what he undertakes. He understands fully the
construction of all the different kinds
and styles of bridges, and is ready to
contract at the lowest living rates for
the construction of the same.
The many jobs which he has completed in this city and surrounding
country, are spoken of by those who
are competent to judge, as something
superior: and we would say to those
who contemplate building, or have any
kind of carpenter work to do, that Mr.
Hough am is a good man to consult
with. You will find him as reasonable in his prices as any first class carpenter, and you can rest assured if he
undertaken a job, it is going to be
pushed through to completion as fast
He lives, respected by all, on College
Hill, in an excellent and well situated
house, planned by himself and built
with his own hands.
Mr. Eames came to Manhattan in
1872. He had long been a resident of
Fall River, Massachusetts. He came
here and spent the winters with his
sister, Mrs. Hunting, whom we all remember as one of the first settlers of
Manhattan, and who grew old among
us, and passed away last summer respected and loved by every one who
knew her. The summer seasons are
generally spent by Mr. Eames in the
East, where he has large means invested in the mills at Fall River.
He has a son located in New York, a
cotton broker, who is, using a western
phrase, well heeled. Mr. Eames, of
course, spends some of his time with
him, but says he feels better and enjoys
himself more out here in the West
where all is free, and where he is not
afraid of spoiling a Brussels carpet every time he turns around, and where
he can get quail and toast for breakfast.
Mr. Eames held many prominent offices in the city government of Fall
River. He was City Marshal for a
number of years, and was also chief of
the Fire Department which is accounted as prominent a position as there is
under a city government of that size.
About six years ago, he purchased
what is now known as Eames Block,
which consists of the stores occupied by Wm, Knostman, as a clothing
store, A. P. Mills, grocery store, the
office formerly occupied by Drs. Lyman & Ward, and the drug store of
W. C. Johnston, and also a part of the
ground occupied by Mrs. Briggs. He
has made great improvements in them,
since they came into his possession,
putting in iron and brick fronts, extending them so as to make them larger
and more convenient. More improvements will be made the coming summer, and it will be made one of the
finest business blocks in the city. Its
location as a business point has hardly
an equal while the post office remains
where it is at the present time, being
situated directly across the street.
He has also two fine residences on
Colorado street in one of which he resides — one of his nieces acting as his
Mr. Eames is highly respected by the
people of Manhattan. He is outspoken
and positive in his views, which is always admired by western people. He
is always ready and willing to contribute towards any scheme that will benefit the city, and never hesitates to denounce any wrong that may be discovered.
A. J. WHITFORD.
DEALER IN HARDWARE, QUEENSWARE, &C.
The hardware store of Mr. Whitford,
on the corner of Third street and
Poyntz avenue, is first class in every
particular. The stock carried is large
and well adapted to meet the wants of
the people, and there is no store in the
city that sells more goods in this line
or furnishes them at cheaper rates than
does Mr. Whitford.
He makes a specialty of every article he sells, and none but those of
known varieties that have been
proved to be of the best quality find a
place on his shelves.
Mr. Whitford's long experience in
dealing in these goods makes him a
competent man to select and handle
them to the best advantage of his
many patrons ; and that he is giving
them the best of satisfaction is shown
by the increase in his trade from year
to year since he commenced business
His salesroom is large and the articles well arranged, being placed in
such a manner as to be pleasing to the
eye, and yet always in their proper
places, enabling him to carry his heavy
stock, yet leaving plenty of room to inspect the same without any inconvenience to the purchaser.
The city in its growth, for want of
room, in other localities, is naturally
crowding westward, and, in a short
time, this house will be in the heart of
the city, and at the present writing
there is no hardware store so conveniently located for parties corning from
all points as this one.
Mr. Whitford, as a man and gentleman, has a large number of warm
friends. He is positive in his views,
yet courteous in expressing them, never hesitating to denounce a wrong and
strenuous in his support of justice and
W. C JOHNSTON.
Mr. Johnston is a native of Ohio,
and, therefore, is a lucky man, and liable to be struck with the lightning of
prosperity at any time, if he has not
been already — which we think is the
case, as his neat and well arranged
drug store, on Poyntz avenue, opposite
the post office, and the large patronage
which it receives from our people, go
He came to Manhattan in 1866, and
has been identified with the drug business ever since ; and, for the last thirteen years, has been conducting business for himself, at the point where he
is now located. It is one of the oldest
business houses now standing in the
city, and has always been considered
one of the best locations and most
central points for trade in Manhattan.
The trade has always been a good
one, and it is not only the oldest drug
store in the city but is the leading
one in the county and surrounding
country. Mr. Johnston has had a life
long experience in the business, for his
father was a druggist before him. W.
C. was early taken into the store and
instructed thoroughly in the intricacies of the manufacture, compounding
and handling of medicine ; which
makes his fitness for that particular
branch of trade apparent.
He employs two careful and reliable
assistants, which the extensive trade
of his establishment demands.
His store is stocked with a full line
of fresh and unadulterated drugs,
medicines, chemicals, perfumery, toilet articles, fancy soaps and small
wares, such as are usually found in a
first class drug store. Paints, oils,
fine cutlery, and the most complete
line of toys and fancy articles are also
kept here. The finest brands of cigars — the best in the city — is also one
of the specialties.
An arctic fountain, from which cool
and refreshing drinks are dispensed,
during the warm weather, is also in
In the preparing of physicians' prescriptions and family recipes, this
pharmacy does a large business, and
not only does it possess the confidence of the physicians, but of the
community at large; for they not only
know they will always receive medicines of known strength and purity,
every time, but that they are compounded by those in whom they have
the most implicit confidence.
Mr. Johnston, as Secretary of the
Kansas and Blue Valley Agricultural
Association, by giving it his time and
energies, contributed largely to the
success of that society at the International Fair, held at Bismarck Grove,
last season. His excellent judgment of
human nature, in connection with his
quick wit and repartee, makes him
especially fitted for such positions, and
no one contributed more to its success
His perfect knowledge of the drug
business, and the manner in which it
should be conducted, and his gentlemanly and courteous bearing toward
all his associates, causes him to be acknowledged as one of the leading
druggists of the State; and, at the
meeting of the State Pharmaceutical
Association, at Topeka, each year, no
opinions are more highly respected.
and no one exerts more influence in
that body than he. At its last meeting he was elected one of the Vice
Presidents, was appointed a member
of the Committee on Legislation, and
his name was one, of the ten sent to
the Governor, from which to select a
Board of Pharmacy.
BRICK MANUFACTURER AND BUILDER.
Mr. Ulrich came to Kansas from
West Virginia in 1857, and to Manhattan in 1867. He had been engaged in
the manufacture of brick for over twenty years and was well qualified to carry
on the business here.
The brick manufactured by Mr. Ulrich are first class and have been pronounced by the best architects to be
unequaled by any brick manufactured
in Kansas, except by one or two yards
in the eastern part of the State.
The kiln is situated in the western
part of the corporation and is accessible
from all points. From three hundred
thousand to five hundred thousand
brick are manufactured and sold each
year. A large proportion of them are
sold in this vicinity ; yet, many are
shipped to other parts ot the State.
The Henry House, at Abilene, was
built of Mr. Ulrich's brick. They are
hard and durable, burned to a rich
dark red color, and stand the weather
perfectly. The handsomest and most
stylish residences in the city, such as
those of E. B. Purcell and Ashford
Stingley, are made from these brick.
As a builder, Mr. Ulrich is second to
none. As a brick layer he has but few
equals, and he can point with pride to
the larger share of the finest residences
in Manhattan and say they are my
Mr. Ulrich has a nice residence of his
own on the corner of Humboldt and
Sixth street. His family — wife and
five children — are all living. His two
eldest sons, Will, and Ed., are accounted as fine workmen as there are in the
State, and are mentioned on another
page of this work as the proprietors of
the new machine shop of this city.
His eldest daughter is married to Sam.
Kimble, a promising young lawyer of
Manhattan and the inventor of the
Mr. Ulrich stands high in the estimation of the people as an upright and
thoroughly honest man. He is a worthy and respected citizen, and is regarded in every way reliable and one
with whom it is safe to establish business relations, and he fully merits the
high esteem in which he is held.
ALLINGHAM & STEWART.
GROCERIES AND PROVISIONS.
The Messrs. Allingham & Stewart
are well known to the people of Riley
county and the western portion of Pottawatomie ; not, however, in the capacity of grocers, but as proprietors of
the old reliable meat market on Poyntz
Selling their meat market in the fall
of 1880, to Long, Tower & Co., they entered into the grocery business in January of this year.
Their store is situated on Second
street, a short distance south from
Poyntz avenue, directly opposite Purcell's counting room. The building
was erected by Mr. Allingham for the
especial purpose for. which it is used,
being well arranged and very convenient. It is a two story stone structure,
with brick front, plate glass windows,
and a large cellar, extending under the
whole building. The upper story is divided into rooms and conveniently arranged for a dwelling.
There are two rooms below, one of
which is used for their grocery store,
and the other for the purpose of a restaurant, which has not been rented at
the present writing. It will not, however, be long vacant, as there is no
place now in use in the city that equals
it for that purpose. Its desirability of
location and the elegant style in which
it is fitted up renders it peculiarly
adapted for a cafe.
Allingham & Stewart's extensive acquaintance with the people of Manhattan and vicinity with the reputation
they have established heretofore as
thoroughly honest and upright business men, will assure them an extensive trade.
Their stock has been selected with
great care and comprises all articles
generally kept in a first class grocery
store. Their goods are marked down
to a point w here they can only make a
living profit, without regard to the
prices charged for the same goods at
other establishments, and many of
their standard articles are much lower
than they can be bought for at any
other store in the city.
Their cigars and tobacco are of the
best brands that are in the market and
something new and different from what
has ever been handled here before.
The rush to this store for cigars and tobacco is wonderful, since the merits of
their goods have become known ; and
there is no abatement, as the goods are
all they are claimed to be.
They make a specialty of salt meats
and fish, smoked and dried, of which
they carry an extensive stock. We
shall be very much surprised if the
trade of this establishment under its
present efficient management does not
equal if not excel that of any store of
the kind in the city.
E. S. BRAMHALL, PROPRIETOR
Some of the readers of this sketch
may not, a first sight, recognize, under
its more modern name, this old and
popular establishment, which, for nearly a score of years, has been one of the
principal landmarks in the "beautiful
city," and has been the shelter and
home of the weary traveler for so many
years. This hotel, hallowed with a
quarter of a century, presents a new
life and extends as kindly and inviting
hand to the modern traveler as any
house of the kind in central Kansas,
and its home-like comforts are enjoyed
by all its guests.
Mr. E. S. Bramhall purchased the
property and took possession January
26th, 1881. He immediately proceeded
to repair and refit it. No pretensions
are made to keep a fashionable and
aristocratic place, but no efforts are
spared by the genial host to render his
guests thoroughly comfortable, and
make them feel perfectly at home, and
his success is well attested by the
praises liberally bestowed by those who
have enjoyed his hospitality.
The house is patronized by an excellent class of people, who prefer home
comforts and genial society to the
snobbery so often met with at more pretentious houses.
The tables are supplied with an
abundance of well cooked, substantial
food and delicacies, which are served in
a most excellent manner.
The rooms are quite pleasant and
neatly furnished, and everything about
the house is kept neat and tidy.
Moderate charges always prevail,
being one dollar per day for transient
customers and twenty-five cents per
meal ; three dollars and fifty cents per
week for day boarders and four dollars
per week for board and lodging.
The house is conducted on strictly
temperance principles, and no boarders
are taken unless they bear good characters and conduct themselves in a proper manner. No games of chance or
gambling are allowed, and, in fact, this
house is exactly what the proprietor
endeavors to make it, a first class hotel
suitable for farmers, mechanics and laboring people whose means will not
allow of their paying as much for a little style as they have to for the necessaries of life.
The American House is located on
the corner of First Street and Poyntz
avenue, convenient to the depot and
Mr. Bramhall is a wheelwright by
trade, at which he worked for twenty-five years before he went into the hotel
business, and he is proving himself fully as competent to keep a hotel as to
handle the saw and shave.
He is a Christian gentleman who, in
the last three years that he has spent
here and in this vicinity, has made a
large number of very warm friends,
who respect him highly as a man of
sterling integrity and for the upright
and high toned life which he leads.
LONG, TOWERS & CO.
The old reliable meat market has
been closely identified with the business interests of the city of Manhattan
for a number of years. Established as
it was upon a firm foundation by good
and capable men, its success has been
assured from the start.
Situated, as it is, in the business center, it is handy to all parts of the city.
The building in which it is located
was built and arranged for that especial
purpose, and no expense or pains has
been spared to make it first class in every respect. The sales room is well
lighted, has high ceilings, is furnished
with a marble counter with scales of
the latest patents. The racks extend
from floor to ceiling, and are painted
and furnished with hooks in a most
tasty manner. The fixtures and appurtenances are first class in every respect.
Their slaughter house is located
southwest from the city, on the Kansas river, and contains all the modern
improvements for butchering, rendering, etc.
They have a large ice house also
connected with the establishment. In
fact, there is not a meat market west
of the Mississippi with a better outfit,
or better prepared to do first-class
work, or supply their customers with
better meats, than this ; and we doubt
if there is one that equals it in the
first-class meat it furnishes its customers the year round.
Long, Towers & Co., who have lately come into possession, are all first-class men.
Mart. Armentrout, the king of
butchers, who has been connected
with the house since it first started,
remains one of the firm, and handles
the cleaver as of yore, behind the
Mr. Towers is an Englishman by
birth. He has lived among us for a
number of years, and is highly respected for his energy and strict integrity.
Mr. Long lately came from Ohio,
where he has been engaged in the livery business; coming to Manhattan
more for his health than anything else.
He has such a disposition that he must
work or die of inanimation, so he embarked in this new business; and the
part assumed by him, and taken as
his part of the employment, he is well
suited to fill.
The trade is now larger than it was
ever known to be before since the
market was first started. The success
of this new firm in the two months it
has been in operation is unprecedented, and there is no doubt but what
this marker will be better entitled
than ever To he considered not only the
leading market of this city, but of central Kansas,
Mr. Drew came to Manhattan a few
years ago when our fair Association
was in its infancy. He has leased the
Fair Grounds from year to year and
made it his headquarters for training and handling trotting stock.
Under his supervision, the track has
been graded and put in such shape as
to be acknowledged the finest one half
mile track in Kansas.
Mr. Drew has done more than any
other man to improve the horse stock
of Riley and Pottawatomie counties by
keeping at his stables some of the best
stallions ever brought into the West,
both for draught and carriage use. He
has also some fine brood mares that he
is breeding carefully and whose progeny were much admired, and took several premiums at the International fair
at Bismarck Grove, and the fairs in
central Kansas, he has now, Winchip, a young stallion of great promise,
who has a record of 2:30, which he
reared and brought to his present point
He receives and trains horses at very
reasonable rates, for those who wish To
place them in his care, and have their
speed developed. There is no trainer
in the West who can bring out their
speed or give them a better training
than Mr. Drew.
He is ably assisted by his brother,
Thomas Drew, who resides on the
grounds, and gives his personal attention to the care and exercising of the
They are also breeding some of the
finest game cocks
and other fowls, which they are furnishing to their customers at reasonable prices. They also furnish eggs for
hatching, and guarantee everything
Mr. Drew is our city marshal, which
position he fills to the entire satisfaction of the city government. He is
ever on the alert, and, although unusually quiet and gentlemanly in his deportment, the lawless element know
him to be fearless and his manly qualities secure
him the respect of all who know him.
BLUE BIRD POULTRY YARDS.
J. S. CORBETT, PROPRIETOR.
Success and failure is written upon every vocation, and it would be
strange indeed to suppose that every one who attempts poultry raising should make it a success. How
many make failures in stock raising and farming? Yet that does
not in the least deter others from
taking up the same vocation and
prosecuting it to success. The failures
in any line of business can generally be
traced to lack of energy, neglect, or
an antipathy to anything that requires manual labor. Some expect
large returns for a little labor, and are
disappointed and give up in disgust
unless they receive such profits as a
druggist makes on carbolic acid. Our
motto here in the West is No labor,
no pay; and those who make a success
of any business understand this fact
Mr. Corbett is a hard worker, and his
success in poultry raising fully shows.
He has been engaged in the breeding
of choice poultry for about five years,
in which time he has placed himself at
the head and front of all breeders in
central Kansas, and he claims that his
due. It is wholly due to the proper
care and attention he personally gives
to his birds.
His specialties are the Partridge Cochin and Pea Comb Cochins, varieties
which have proved themselves well
adapted to this climate. They are
hardy, and as good winter layers as
any of the Asiatic breeds. They will
bear confinement better than many of
the large breeds, are good mothers.
and are easily handled.
He has lately added a yard of Brown
Leghorns, from Keefer & Bruce's celebrated stock, which are very fine;
their special qualities are for laying,
seldom wanting to set, often laying
the whole summer long, so that these
two strains, properly cared for, will
supply eggs the entire year.
Mr. Corbett is also breeding the celebrated Rouen ducks, whose merits
stand second to none, being large and
very fine flavored.
Mr. Corbett exhibited his poultry at
the International Fair, held at Bismarck Grove last season, where he received four first premiums; also at the
Blue and Kansas Valley Fair Association, at which he received six first
premiums, amounting in all to over
To illustrate the profits which accrue
in the raising of poultry, when proper
care of it is taken, we will say that
Mr. Corbett had sixteen birds to commence the season with, last spring.
His sales in birds and eggs hatching amounted to over forty-five dollars, making, with the premiums, a
total received of over seventy dollars
and he now has seventy birds of his
Mr. Corbett is prepared to furnish
birds in pairs, trios, or in larger numbers, and. also, eggs for hatching, in
their proper season, at reasonable
prices. He guarantees satisfaction in
every particular. He stands high in
the estimation of the people, is a man
of sterling integrity, and can be trusted implicitly.
G. A. POLLARD.
MACHINIST AND PATTERN MAKER.
Mr. Pollard is a native of the old
pine tree State. He spent some years
in Pennsylvania, where he learned the
machinist's trade, after which he returned to Lewiston, Maine, and worked
in the machine shops connected with
the large cotton mills of that place.
There are no better schools for instruction, to a young man who is learning
both machine and pattern work, than
one of these shops. One has all the opportunities and must learn and soon
become an expert, or he loses his head
or gets the sack, as they call it East.
But young Pollard was one of those
natural mechanics, full of ambition
and willing to receive instruction, and
soon became an expert himself, and
was accounted one of the best pattern
makers in Lewiston.
He came to Manhattan with Mr.
Kizerin 1879, and assisted in putting
tin machinery in the Elevator Company's mills here, and then went to St.
George and placed the machinery in
the elevator there. The shafting of
these elevators and the gristmill were
all put in place under Mr. Pollard's
After these mills were finished, Mr.
Pollard rented the shop he now occupies on Second street, a short distance
north of Poyntz avenue, and opened
a pattern and repair shop for extra
fine work. The work that he has
turned out has been the wonder of
many, for there is nothing that can be
made with wood, in the shape of patterns of ornamental work that he receives orders for but that, by his deft
hands, is finished to the unbounded
satisfaction of those who are interested.
He is a very agreeable gentleman,
accommodating and obliging; and he
has gained the respect of all who have
formed his acquaintance, not only for
his excellent workmanship, but for his
popular qualities as a man and a citizen.
L. R. ELLIOTT
The personal mention of L. R. Elliott
on page 67 contains so little of his personality that we append these additional paragraphs, gathered, in part,
from a sketch in "The United States
He is the third son of John J. and
Jane (Blake) Elliott. The family,
coming from Scotland, settled in Chenango county, New York, where the
subject of this sketch was born, in
1835. He was educated in the common schools of the State, and supplemented this with three years' apprenticeship at the printing business,
beginning in 1855.
His mother was left a widow when
he was but eleven years of age ; and,
the family having no estate of consequence, the subject of this notice early
learned to "hoe his own row." He
knows what it is to work up from poverty to competence, and has done this
by his own efforts.
He taught school several terms ;
was a merchant's clerk three years ;
spent three seasons in ornamental gardening — in care of the finest flower
gardens in his native town ; was eight
years engaged as a commercial traveler for a firm in Binghampton, New
York; established — and for a time
conducted — a crockery and carpet
store in East Saginaw, Michigan ; and,
in 1866, came to Kansas, took up his
trade again, and became the owner
and editor, in succession, of The Atchison Daily Free Press, The Manhattan
Independent, The Kansas Radical,
The Manhattan Standard, and The
Solomon City Reporter. Each of
these he conducted successfully, and
made them pay.
He is a ready writer, an experienced
editor, and is not a politician ; has never aspired to an office in Kansas (an
unusual occurrence), and declined a
nomination to die Assembly in New
York, when the nomination was
equivalent to an election. He is too
decided in his opinions to be a politician, and cares more for an idea he
thinks is right than for public commendation. At the organization of
the National Board of real Estate
Agents, in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1870, he
was made Vice President of the organization, and at the International Sunday School Convention, in Atlanta,
Georgia, in 1879, he was elected Vice
President for Kansas, and is at this
time also an officer of the State Sunday School Convention, and delegate
to the International Convention at
Toronto. He is Past Grand Worthy
Patriarch of the Sons of Temperance
in Kansas, and a member of the National Division. He was for seven
years President of the Manhattan, Alma and Burlingame Railway Company, and the construction of that road
was largely due to his effort.
His family consists of a wife and
three children. He has a pleasant residence, and finds his chief enjoyment
within the home circle.
J. W. BLACHLY
Mr. Blachly is a hard working man,
well worthy the patronage of the people. He has an excellent bearing orchard of three hundred trees of his
own growing, on his farm at the head
of Baldwin creek.
Mr. Blachly has been engaged in
handling nursery stock for over sixteen years, and for about three years
was connected with the Manhattan
Nursery, Todd & Blachly, proprietors.
This partnership was dissolved, by
mutual consent, in the spring of 1880,
Mr. Blachly retaining his interest
in the stock then on hand in the nursery.
He immediately started another
nursery, a short distance north from
the College farm, in which he set a
large number of very choice fruit trees,
with which to supply the trade as
soon as the stock in the old nursery is
He will devote his whole time to
this particular branch of business, and
add new varieties of fruit and ornamental trees to his already large stock,
as fast as they are tried and proved to
be such as will make it profitable for
them to be grown in this climate.
Return to Riley Co. KHHP
This website created June 9, 2004 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2011-2012 Kansas History and Heritage Project